Author Topic: Egypt/Coup: Remembering Rabaa, three years on: A survivor's story  (Read 211 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Obviously, I don't side with the protestors or government here. I was not aware of the "massacre" talked about. It says this happened some time after the Coup that threw the Muslim Brotherhood out. One of the related articles reads over a thousand killed.

So, they had that stampede at Mecca not too long ago, Eid(?), more people were killed there. Interesting reading.

Some graphic photos at link, Middle East Eye: http://www.middleeasteye.net/essays/remembering-raaba-three-years-survivors-story-318622857

Remembering Rabaa, three years on: A survivor's story

Fleeing from snipers as bodies fell and bullets ricocheted, Mahmoud Bondok sent screenshot of his will to friend via WhatsApp and ran

It was 6am, 17 percent power remaining in my phone battery and I couldn't sleep.

Within the next hour, I would be making what could have been my last phone call to my brother, before witnessing what was later called the “worst single-day killing of protesters in modern history".

The date was Wednesday 14 August 2013 and I was two months into my annual holiday to Egypt. My friends and I had watched the military coup unfold on TV screens just a month prior. We joined the sit-in in Rabaa Square to add our voices to the thousands of people gathered there who were asking for their democratic rights to be respected.

That morning, I left my friends Amr and Saleh sleeping in our tent, and headed for a local cafe situated near Tiba Mall which had become our daily hang-out during the sit in. There, I bumped into another friend, Mohamed, who was fiddling with his camera. He lived locally, so he usually went home every night, but on this particular night, he had decided to stay.

As the sun rose on the 47th day of the sit-in, I quickly noticed that something felt odd.

Across the road from where I sat, a 13-story building that belonged to the military had just completed adding a new heavy duty fence, protecting it from top to bottom. I found this quite strange, considering that no one had ever tried to attack the building during the sit-in.

Read More At: http://www.middleeasteye.net/essays/remembering-raaba-three-years-survivors-story-318622857

Not supporting the Arab Spring probably would have been better for everyone.

That Coup was only 3 years ago? Seems longer.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 09:48:18 pm by TomSea »