Author Topic: The Morality of Voting for Trump  (Read 23875 times)

Online libertybele

Re: The Morality of Voting for Trump
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2016, 04:31:15 pm »
I'll restate something more clearly: Politics makes people behave 'irrationally'.

Once passions subside, lot of people going to have egg on their face.

Agreed; you better get your washcloth ready!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2016, 04:31:15 pm »
Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness; Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!

Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes And clever in their own sight!

Woe to those who are heroes in drinking wine And valiant men in mixing strong drink,

Who justify the wicked for a bribe, And take away the rights of the ones who are in the right!

Isaiah 5:21 - 24

2 Peter 3:17

You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, be on your guard so that you are not carried away by the error of unprincipled men and fall from your own steadfastness,

Romans 16:17-18

Now I urge you, brethren, keep your eye on those who cause dissensions and hindrances contrary to the teaching which you learned, and turn away from them. For such men are slaves, not of our Lord Christ but of their own appetites; and by their smooth and flattering speech they deceive the hearts of the unsuspecting.

1 Timothy 1:3-4

As I urged you upon my departure for Macedonia, remain on at Ephesus so that you may instruct certain men not to teach strange doctrines, nor to pay attention to myths and endless genealogies, which give rise to mere speculation rather than furthering the administration of God which is by faith.

Galatians 1:8-9

But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!

2 Peter 2:1

But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing swift destruction upon themselves.

I hate that Christianity has become a symbol of big money.  Evangelicals and Trump are like a wealthy mans club.  They have forgotten their first love Jesus Christ.  Sold themselves out for cash.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online libertybele

« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2016, 04:32:59 pm »

2 Peter 3:17

You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, be on your guard so that you are not carried away by the error of unprincipled men and fall from your own steadfastness,

Romans 16:17-18

Now I urge you, brethren, keep your eye on those who cause dissensions and hindrances contrary to the teaching which you learned, and turn away from them. For such men are slaves, not of our Lord Christ but of their own appetites; and by their smooth and flattering speech they deceive the hearts of the unsuspecting.

1 Timothy 1:3-4

As I urged you upon my departure for Macedonia, remain on at Ephesus so that you may instruct certain men not to teach strange doctrines, nor to pay attention to myths and endless genealogies, which give rise to mere speculation rather than furthering the administration of God which is by faith.

Galatians 1:8-9

But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!

2 Peter 2:1

But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing swift destruction upon themselves.

I hate that Christianity has become a symbol of big money.  Evangelicals and Trump are like a wealthy mans club.  They have forgotten their first love Jesus Christ.  Sold themselves out for cash.

Thank you.  Great post!   :amen:

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2016, 04:36:56 pm »
Voting for Trump is not immoral.  Not voting for Trump or Hillary is not immoral either.  Morality doesn't figure into this at all.

I would disagree. Endorsing an immoral man is to lend credence to corruption - To approve of him. To approve of immoral behavior is to approve if immorality.

No sale.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2016, 04:38:08 pm »
There is no morality in voting for Trump. I haven't seen anything moral about the guy.  He is corrupt and out for no one other than himself and anyone that sides with Trump's evilness is evil.  Wrong is wrong.  At the end of the day, I will be voting in the candidate of my choice and for as many conservatives down ballot.  I'm not voting for Trump.  I am not voting for Hillary.  My conscience is clear and those who bolstered Trump to this position and continue to support him ARE responsible for what happens going forward.

Me too.  People have free will to choose evil over good but I will have no part in it.  God has no part in darkness.  There is no darkness in Him.  History shows that people make poor choices and even the believers can be deceived.

With God there is no lesser of evil.  Just evil.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2016, 04:40:11 pm »
Thank you.  Great post!   :amen:

Your welcome.  One thing that is always true.  God's Word.

Offline unknown

« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2016, 04:46:08 pm »
Only "evangelicals" who don't value morality and truth......... or who are "Christians" because it will make them prosper, and they get coffee and donuts during "worship."

I don't get coffee and donuts during "worship," is it free, or do I have to pay for it?

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

Offline musiclady

« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2016, 04:47:36 pm »
I know musiclady.  Musiclady is a friend of mine. Nelieve me, sir.  Musiclady is no stalker.

Thanks, massadvj, but I've put don-o on Ignore so I'm not tempted to respond to his posts again.

I'm not going to deliberately irritate someone who doesn't want to have his posts disagreed with.

No skin off my nose.  I've never "stalked" anyone in my life (what a waste of precious time!), so if I am perceived as stalking because I keep asking a question that never elicits a response, I can give the guy a break for a while.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2016, 04:51:51 pm »
I'll easily vote for Trump, I voted for Bush who backstabbed Middle Eastern Christianity. Trump has done nothing bad like this.  Trump has no blood on his hands.

No comparison to Obama and Clinton who are also culpable.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2016, 04:54:46 pm »
Wow.  It's YOUR thread, don-o.  Why post threads if you do not wish to garner replies?  You lost all credibility with that statement and should apologize to musiclady.

I don't need an apology @Unlimited, but thanks....

The only reason I've posed the question more than once (not even close to "stalking".... that was just weird), is that @don-o has never answered the question.

What I am asking of him (and others) is that, if they believe that the decision they have made to vote for Trump is the right one after thinking about it, then will they give us the same courtesy of understanding that the decision we have made NOT to vote for him on moral grounds, is acceptable?

That's all I was looking for.  I respect don-o, and was floored by his bizarre reply to a legitimate question on a subject that he brought up by posting multiple threads about it.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline unknown

« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2016, 04:55:34 pm »
If your comment is addressed to me, I have one for you.

Can you discuss the issues without insulting people?

No. It is impossible with them! It is too emotional. Their passions have been enflamed and they are being engulfed by them. To heck with truth. They don't want to hear it. As for me, I stand with truth.

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

Offline musiclady

« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2016, 04:57:36 pm »
It does get old.

Will you answer the question then @flowers?

It doesn't have to "get old" if anyone simply answers the question I have posed.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2016, 04:59:42 pm »
How about doing business with him? Is that immoral? Vendors, contractors, agents, representatives, the GOP?

Knowingly?  YES. It is a collusion which enables him to continue to fleece the ignorant.

Should the folks that work for Trump need worry about their soul because they work for an immoral man?

One should definitely reorder one's priorities.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 05:01:52 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline flowers

« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2016, 05:01:15 pm »
I'll easily vote for Trump, I voted for Bush who backstabbed Middle Eastern Christianity. Trump has done nothing bad like this.  Trump has no blood on his hands.

No comparison to Obama and Clinton who are also culpable.
Exactly...Trump has no blood on his hands. Hillary, Obama and Bush all do. That is another reason I cannot understand their support for Hillary. 

Offline thackney

« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2016, 05:02:57 pm »
Voting for Trump is not immoral.  Not voting for Trump or Hillary is not immoral either.  Morality doesn't figure into this at all.

If Morality is not part of it, how is there a right and wrong choice for anyone?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online roamer_1

« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2016, 05:04:25 pm »
Exactly...Trump has no blood on his hands.

LOL! He owns gambling dens,and he's a flesh peddler- You REALLY think he has no blood on his hands?

Offline etcb

« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2016, 05:05:53 pm »
In general, I would define morality as a set of personal standards for good or bad behavior and character.  Those are the standards I have for myself but I don't necessarily expect everyone I associate with to subscribe to the same standards as I hold for myself.  (Also, when I look back on my record, I have not always lived up to my own standards.)  When I board an airplane, I don't think much about the moral character of the pilot, just his competency.  Likewise, when I see my pastor show weakness in his personal life, I don't immediately dismiss the message he delivered on Sunday. When I needed heart surgery, skill was the overall determining factor in selecting a surgeon.  President Carter was probably one of our most morally upstanding leaders, but he was also one of the most incompetent presidents.

Our process for selecting a president is a long process of winnowing the field down to two realistic alternatives and one or the other will be the president.  We can each use whatever criteria we choose for making our selection but, for myself, I don't subscribe to the idea that my vote is a moral decision nor is it about after the fact bragging rights.  I am not voting for a best friend, a pastor or even someone I want to associate with on a regular basis.  I am selecting one person from the two available alternatives who I have the most confidence in to make appointment, carry out policies and conduct the affairs of the nation in a manor most in alignment with our constitution.   Sec. Clinton clearly does not meet any of my criteria while Mr. Trump will possibly meet some of them, therefore it is a simple decision for me. 

Online libertybele

« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2016, 05:17:12 pm »
Ignoring the fact that Trump said that he was going to make Mexico pay for it, you have a valid point.  Cruz should not have said he would build that wall when he knew it would not ever be built.  I was stunned at the time that he said it and he fell a few notches in my book.  But when compared to Trump, the consummate, pathological liar that lied every time he opened his mouth, there was no comparison.

As for Rubio, we all knew he was a liar when he kept trying to pin immigration on Cruz as he knew for a fact that Cruz fought harder than any of them against immigration.  The poison pill was a poison pill and he knew it because he was there when Cruz did it and hated him for it.  Because of the gang of eight and his lying about Cruz, I could never support him although I was looking for someone else to support at that time due to Cruz saying he would build a mythical wall.

After it was all said and done, none of the candidates left were perfect, but there was one that stood leaps and bounds above the rest.  It was not Trump.

Cruz building a mythical wall?  I have not heard that one.  Not that it matter anymore I suppose.

Offline flowers

« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2016, 05:18:30 pm »
In general, I would define morality as a set of personal standards for good or bad behavior and character.  Those are the standards I have for myself but I don't necessarily expect everyone I associate with to subscribe to the same standards as I hold for myself.  (Also, when I look back on my record, I have not always lived up to my own standards.)  When I board an airplane, I don't think much about the moral character of the pilot, just his competency.  Likewise, when I see my pastor show weakness in his personal life, I don't immediately dismiss the message he delivered on Sunday. When I needed heart surgery, skill was the overall determining factor in selecting a surgeon.  President Carter was probably one of our most morally upstanding leaders, but he was also one of the most incompetent presidents.

Our process for selecting a president is a long process of winnowing the field down to two realistic alternatives and one or the other will be the president.  We can each use whatever criteria we choose for making our selection but, for myself, I don't subscribe to the idea that my vote is a moral decision nor is it about after the fact bragging rights.  I am not voting for a best friend, a pastor or even someone I want to associate with on a regular basis.  I am selecting one person from the two available alternatives who I have the most confidence in to make appointment, carry out policies and conduct the affairs of the nation in a manor most in alignment with our constitution.   Sec. Clinton clearly does not meet any of my criteria while Mr. Trump will possibly meet some of them, therefore it is a simple decision for me.

:hands: Very good!

Online roamer_1

« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2016, 05:29:29 pm »

Forgive me, but that sort of thinking is a sad thing to me. I think it is of a type that springs form moral relativism.

There was a time in this country when the value of a man was drawn exclusively from his character. From doing it right and keeping one's word. Sadly, I think that time has past.

Offline Blizzardnh

« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2016, 05:52:57 pm »
What evidence do you have that Trump loves this country?   I mean other than his current words?

Because his words mean absolutely nothing, since he is lying through his teeth about pretty much everything he says he believes right now.

He is a con man.  He is a wolf in sheep's clothing (and the clothing doesn't even cover him).  He is not the lesser of two evils, he IS evil.

And for me, to vote for Donald Trump is equally as immoral as voting for Hillary Clinton.

When it comes to political values, I may compromise.  When it comes to Biblical morality, I cannot.
Then you should dig into the bible more. How moral was David?

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2016, 05:57:46 pm »

Putting the "moral" argument aside what is your standard for a person fit for President?

Stupid  talks like a fourth grader with words like "win bigly"
Mentally ill  Narcissistic personality disorder  (Can't handle when anyone is critical of him)
repulsive and insulting (to many instances to list)
Fascist personality  (finds strength in Saddam Hussein, Kim jung Un, Vladimir Putin, Chinese government in the handling of Tiananmen Square.

Liar.  (so, so, so many instances)

Trump makes himself out to be the moral candidate who will chose the right Supreme Court Justice.  Is that an issue with you?   If it is did you miss that he would appoint his pro abortion sister?

Modified to include Trumps endorsement of his pro abortion sister for Supreme Court.

Donald Trump told Mark Halperin yesterday that his sister, a federal judge, would be a “phenomenal” Supreme Court justice. He also said that “we will have to rule that out now, at least.” If he ever becomes president, let’s hope he rules it out permanently. Maryanne Trump Barry came up in my book The Party of Death for writing one of those heated judicial decisions in favor of giving constitutional protection to partial-birth abortion. She called a New Jersey law against it a “desperate attempt” to undermine Roe v. Wade. It was, she wrote, “based on semantic machinations, irrational line-drawing, and an obvious attempt to inflame public opinion instead of logic or medical evidence.” It made no difference where the fetus was when it “expired.”

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/423196/
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 06:16:35 pm by Chosen Daughter »

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2016, 06:06:20 pm »

And God punished David.  We all have free will choice.  If you are using the Bible to justify immorality you should know what it contains.

But God punished David and brought upon him the evil consequences of his sin to teach us the pure character of God’s Law. Three direct consequences were inflicted upon David:

First: Nathan said the sword would never depart from David’s house (2 Samuel 12:10). This was fulfilled in the successive violent deaths of at least three of his sons—Amnon (2 Samuel 13:29), Absalom (2 Samuel 18:14), and Adonijah (1 Kings 2:25).

Second: Nathan also prophesied to David that his own wives would be humiliated before all Israel (2 Samuel 12:11). This was fulfilled when Absalom “lay with his father’s concubines in the sight of all Israel” (2 Samuel 16:22).

Third: Nathan pronounced the fatal end of the son conceived by David’s sin with Bathsheba (2 Samuel 12:14). This was fulfilled seven days after Nathan’s judgment sentence (2 Samuel 12:18).

The Lord in His mercy allows men to see that the results of sin are not increased prosperity and happiness, but misery, woe, and death. His protecting hand was withdrawn from David, and the king was permitted to taste the bitter fruits of his sin. And David realized that the pathway to true happiness could not be found in disobedience.

https://proof.directory/gods-punishment-davids-sin-bathsheba/

Offline musiclady

« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2016, 06:09:39 pm »

That's an old argument, @Blizzardnh , that wasn't valid from the get go.

David was repentant of his sin, and Trump is proud of his.

There couldn't be two more different cases of character than David and Donald.

And no argument could fail more to recommend Trump than the one you use.

(I know Scripture, but I thank you very much for the insult).

Offline musiclady

« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2016, 06:11:23 pm »
And God punished David.  We all have free will choice.  If you are using the Bible to justify immorality you should know what it contains.

But God punished David and brought upon him the evil consequences of his sin to teach us the pure character of God’s Law. Three direct consequences were inflicted upon David:

First: Nathan said the sword would never depart from David’s house (2 Samuel 12:10). This was fulfilled in the successive violent deaths of at least three of his sons—Amnon (2 Samuel 13:29), Absalom (2 Samuel 18:14), and Adonijah (1 Kings 2:25).

Second: Nathan also prophesied to David that his own wives would be humiliated before all Israel (2 Samuel 12:11). This was fulfilled when Absalom “lay with his father’s concubines in the sight of all Israel” (2 Samuel 16:22).

Third: Nathan pronounced the fatal end of the son conceived by David’s sin with Bathsheba (2 Samuel 12:14). This was fulfilled seven days after Nathan’s judgment sentence (2 Samuel 12:18).

The Lord in His mercy allows men to see that the results of sin are not increased prosperity and happiness, but misery, woe, and death. His protecting hand was withdrawn from David, and the king was permitted to taste the bitter fruits of his sin. And David realized that the pathway to true happiness could not be found in disobedience.

https://proof.directory/gods-punishment-davids-sin-bathsheba/

Thank you so much for the detailed response, @Chosen Daughter

(I gave the Cliff's Notes version.  Yours is far better.  ^-^ )
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 06:11:43 pm by musiclady »