Author Topic: The Morality of Voting for Trump  (Read 23886 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
The Morality of Voting for Trump
« on: August 13, 2016, 03:09:51 pm »

#NeverTrumpers fails to persuade as Dems focus on helping their candidate win

http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/morality-voting-trump/

Knowing what we know about Hillary Clinton and her plans for America, and the importance of the Supreme Court, we conservatives have a moral obligation to both oppose her and support Donald Trump.

This is the sentiment I expressed on Sean Hannity’s television show Thursday that has sent some #NeverTrump conservatives into a tizzy. Ben Shapiro is the latest in a long line of mostly Acela-corridor Republicans who spend much of their days “see-I-told-you-so’ing” about Trump.
snip

3. Your vote is a moral instrument, not just an instrument of policy.
Yes, it is. Voting for Trump means that when your country had been in decline for almost two decades, and you had the chance to set the country on a different course, you took it.

Voting for Trump means that when you finally had the chance to end the corrupt and decadent Clinton machine, you took it.

Voting for Trump means that when you had the chance to write in the history books that the country had rejected the last eight years of President Obama, you took it.

Voting for Trump means that when you had the chance to save the First Amendment, and the Second Amendment, and to restore the proper checks and balances that are at risk from another Clinton administration, you took it.

Voting for Trump means that when you had the chance to stand up to pro-China billionaires who make money off of a global system that is rigged in favor of a Chinese dictatorship, and rigged against the American worker, you took it.

Voting for Trump means saying yes to a 15 percent top corporate tax rate, which will boost American wages and jobs.

snip

On the other hand, not voting for Trump — and hoping that he loses — also represents a moral choice:

It means being worried every time you hear a story suggesting that Hillary still faces real hurdles before Election Day and could still lose this.

It means aligning yourself, at least temporarily, with left-wing nightmares Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and all the other radicals who want Trump to lose.

exc

Online roamer_1

Re: The Morality of Voting for Trump
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 04:43:08 pm »

Wow. So let me get this straight:

The MORAL thing is to cast off Conservative principle, which in the case of social conservatism, defines morality, in order to vote for the immoral Republican candidate, because 'our' immoral candidate is better than that terribly immoral Hillary Clinton.

REALLY?

The rest is all turd polish - promising things out of 'our' immoral candidate  - Promises without a single_thing to qualify and secure them.
Of course they are unqualified and insecure... The candidate is without character, and untrustworthy... So what sells this pap?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 04:46:49 pm »
I see people working very hard to make what is blatantly immoral into something moral.

The mental gymnastics required to make this argument are breath taking.

Simone Biles get out of the way..........  the Trump crusaders are flipping and twisting even more than you can.....

Gold medals all around!!   :patriot:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 05:01:23 pm »
I see people working very hard to make what is blatantly immoral into something moral.
The mental gymnastics required to make this argument are breath taking.

Butt, butt, butt... I thought Trump has the Evangelicals 'all sewn up' ?!?!?!?!?!
Why then all this argument toward 'morality'?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 05:04:43 pm »
Butt, butt, butt... I thought Trump has the Evangelicals 'all sewn up' ?!?!?!?!?!

Only "evangelicals" who don't value morality and truth......... or who are "Christians" because it will make them prosper, and they get coffee and donuts during "worship."

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline WhatWouldReaganDo

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 05:11:01 pm »
Down the centuries, you have slurred the meaning of the words, "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty, to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution". These words and the words that follow, were not written only for the Yangs, but for the Kohms as well! They must apply to everyone, or they mean nothing! - James Tiberius Kirk

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 05:11:15 pm »
Only "evangelicals" who don't value morality and truth......... or who are "Christians" because it will make them prosper, and they get coffee and donuts during "worship."

Yep... I suspect that has been the case all the way along. I still have yet to find more than three people in my entire IRL network that are going to vote for Trump... Still within the MOE of *none*.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 05:17:59 pm »
This gets the point across: The Evangelical Case for Voting for David Duke

LOL! Sarcastic, I think... Hard to tell these days...  :laugh:

geronl

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 06:38:26 pm »
Nothing moral about empowering an immoral man.

geronl

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 06:39:34 pm »

Trump got curb stomped among church-going Christians in the primaries, it was the non-churched Christians who leaned to Trump.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 09:27:51 pm »
Trump got curb stomped among church-going Christians in the primaries, it was the non-churched Christians who leaned to Trump.

I think I can figure out why they're not going to church if they approved of Trump's lifestyle.....

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 09:34:06 pm »
The moral claim on your vote is the claim on your conscience.  There is no moral obligation to vote for Donald Trump.  That is a specious, blasphemous argument.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 09:41:31 pm »
This article is a display of human effort to quiet a guilty conscience.  Be careful or that conscience, being seared, may stop working for you altogether.

There's a lot of that going on these days.

People who know better desperately trying to justify what cannot be justified.

Offline thackney

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 10:04:44 pm »
Nothing moral about empowering an immoral man.

+1
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 10:29:54 pm »
@don-o

Are you trying to convince us?  Trying to convince yourself?  Or just really enjoy the discussion of the topic?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2016, 10:35:32 pm »
Yes.  A whole lot.  It wouldn't be so irksome if they didn't feel driven to force the rest of us to give our approval.  I refuse.

I think that's what bugs me most, too.

You can almost see the wheels turning in their minds (and hearts) as they try to make excuses for what they deep down know is wrong.

But when they push their mental gymnastics on us, and try to make us feel guilty for doing what they know THEY should be doing, and use it either to badger us, belittle us, or shame us into making their mistake, it gets wearisome.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2016, 10:36:12 pm »
@don-o

Are you trying to convince us?  Trying to convince yourself?  Or just really enjoy the discussion of the topic?

Some of each??  ^-^

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2016, 10:47:05 pm »
Laura Ingraham is setting up a sort of strawman and false dilemma with this whole article. First off, she rewinds all the way back to the primary and accuses anyone who opposes Trump of being supporters of the Bush/Graham wing of the party.

No.

I want a conservatism like Ted Cruz's, that stands in the face of opposition and fights to the bitter end for important causes. I want one like Scott Walker's, who pushes through reforms and holds firm to them. I want a conservatism that pays more than lip service to limiting the size and scope of government and protecting the freedoms of its citizens, and not just those who invent rights for their own political expedience. Cruz's name was notably absent from the entire article. That's what's been missing from our leadership, and neither left-wing Democratic machine candidate Hillary Clinton nor billionaire playboy demagogue Donald Trump have it.

The only reason that Ingraham (who, while now bashing Bush, actually attended strategy meetings in the White House when he was President) is stumping for Trump is because of the R, and the false assumption that there are only the R and the D, and the R is always better than the D, no matter how horrendous. I mean, seriously. If you believe Donald Trump is going to make any effort toward conservatism, you are not paying attention. To us, the election is already lost, and the best—the BEST—we can hope for is a miraculous third-party surge that somehow puts Gary Johnson in and somehow he decides to listen to us; two long-shot premises at best.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2016, 11:06:54 pm »
@don-o

I prefer to discuss ideas, not motives.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2016, 11:10:17 pm »
I prefer to discuss ideas, not motives.

Do not the motives lead to the ideas?

Offline kartographer

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2016, 05:27:03 am »

#NeverTrumpers fails to persuade as Dems focus on helping their candidate win

http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/morality-voting-trump/

Knowing what we know about Hillary Clinton and her plans for America, and the importance of the Supreme Court, we conservatives have a moral obligation to both oppose her and support Donald Trump.

This is the sentiment I expressed on Sean Hannity’s television show Thursday that has sent some #NeverTrump conservatives into a tizzy. Ben Shapiro is the latest in a long line of mostly Acela-corridor Republicans who spend much of their days “see-I-told-you-so’ing” about Trump.
snip

3. Your vote is a moral instrument, not just an instrument of policy.
Yes, it is. Voting for Trump means that when your country had been in decline for almost two decades, and you had the chance to set the country on a different course, you took it.

Voting for Trump means that when you finally had the chance to end the corrupt and decadent Clinton machine, you took it.

Voting for Trump means that when you had the chance to write in the history books that the country had rejected the last eight years of President Obama, you took it.

Voting for Trump means that when you had the chance to save the First Amendment, and the Second Amendment, and to restore the proper checks and balances that are at risk from another Clinton administration, you took it.

Voting for Trump means that when you had the chance to stand up to pro-China billionaires who make money off of a global system that is rigged in favor of a Chinese dictatorship, and rigged against the American worker, you took it.

Voting for Trump means saying yes to a 15 percent top corporate tax rate, which will boost American wages and jobs.

snip

On the other hand, not voting for Trump — and hoping that he loses — also represents a moral choice:

It means being worried every time you hear a story suggesting that Hillary still faces real hurdles before Election Day and could still lose this.

It means aligning yourself, at least temporarily, with left-wing nightmares Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and all the other radicals who want Trump to lose.

exc

Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness; Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!

Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes And clever in their own sight!

Woe to those who are heroes in drinking wine And valiant men in mixing strong drink,

Who justify the wicked for a bribe, And take away the rights of the ones who are in the right!

Isaiah 5:21 - 24
Charley Waite: "Well you may not know this, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dying."

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2016, 09:58:24 am »
Doing something immoral (voting for Trump) to stop something immoral (Hillary) is not moral.

"Assassinating Hillary means that when you finally had the chance to end the corrupt and decadent Clinton machine, you took it." could be substituted, but that doesn't make it moral.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2016, 11:21:48 am »
Doing something immoral (voting for Trump) to stop something immoral (Hillary) is not moral.

"Assassinating Hillary means that when you finally had the chance to end the corrupt and decadent Clinton machine, you took it." could be substituted, but that doesn't make it moral.

Doublepluswrong

Offline kartographer

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2016, 12:19:04 pm »
We were told by Trump that he didn't need our votes and he said it in no uncertain terms, so why all this 'pimping' after your master already declared he doesn't need nor want our votes? How can you back Trump when you don't even believe what he himself declared to be so?
Charley Waite: "Well you may not know this, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dying."

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2016, 12:23:36 pm »
We were told by Trump that he didn't need our votes and he said it in no uncertain terms, so why all this 'pimping' after your master already declared he doesn't need nor want our votes? How can you back Trump when you don't even believe what he himself declared to be so?

If your comment is addressed to me, I have one for you.

Can you discuss the issues without insulting people?