Author Topic: Team Clinton tasting victory  (Read 1475 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Team Clinton tasting victory
« on: August 12, 2016, 01:54:13 pm »
 By Amie Parnes - 08/12/16 06:00 AM EDT

Hillary Clinton’s team is increasingly confident of defeating Donald Trump in November.

Clinton allies acknowledge they’ve had their share of missteps and unforced errors in recent days. Two controversies, in particular, could have been especially damaging against a more disciplined opponent.

First, the campaign allowed Seddique Mateen, the father of the Orlando gunman who killed 49 people in June, to be seated directly behind Clinton at a rally. Meanwhile, media reports have continued to raise questions about links between the State Department and the Clinton Foundation, including whether there was special treatment for donors.

But those story-lines have been relegated to the margins of media coverage, with Trump’s blunders dominating the spotlight.

“We’re winning because of what we’ve done, but we’re also really winning because of what he’s done,” said one Clinton surrogate, pointing to the controversies Trump has engaged in since July, including his feud with a Muslim military family.

Overall, the Clinton campaign has had a good run since the Democratic convention in Philadelphia. She started August with a bounce in the polls; prominent Republicans have been announcing their support for her; and she has taken the lead in nearly every important swing state.

But it hasn’t all been smooth sailing. Clinton came under heavy criticism after insisting that FBI Director James Comey had described her answers about a private email server as “truthful and consistent” over time. She later said she might have “short-circuited” with that answer.

Grant Reeher, director of the Campbell Public Affairs Institute at the Maxwell School at Syracuse University, said Trump is most definitely contributing to Clinton’s recent success.

“Hillary Clinton’s strongest asset is Donald Trump, far and away,” Reeher said. 

Remarkably, the Trump campaign managed to neutralize Mateen’s appearance at the Clinton rally by having disgraced former Congressman Mark Foley (R-Fla.) — who once sent suggestive messages to underage congressional pages — sit behind Trump at a rally on Wednesday night.

But Foley’s appearance paled in comparison to the media storm that erupted when Trump suggested Tuesday that Second Amendment defenders might be able to prevent Clinton from making judicial nominees.

The offhand remark was widely denounced, causing such a ruckus that the Secret Service was reportedly tasked with speaking to Trump about the comments.

Clinton has had “a good couple of weeks by compared to her opponent,” Reeher said.

“You're seeing the cumulative effects of some of his mistakes. He’s been stepping on landmines of his own creation.”

Reeher said the Clinton campaign is well positioned for the home stretch of the campaign after Labor Day. She has the lead in polls of key swing states such as Ohio and Pennsylvania, and appears to have a chance to expand the map with victories in traditionally red states like Georgia.

Still, Reeher cautioned that “the numbers could change quite a bit” between now and Election Day. 

So far at least, Clinton’s supporters are optimistic about her prospects.

“I’m comforted by the numbers, comforted by the Republicans coming over to our side and comforted that he's handing us some minor victories because he keeps stepping in it,” said one longtime Clinton friend.

The friend and other Clinton allies say they would have been in a worse spot in this election cycle had Republicans nominated a different candidate.

“I felt before the race really began that Jeb Bush, and to some extent Marco Rubio, would be the toughest opponent, and I do think if you swapped out either one of them today, it would be a very tight race,” said one longtime Clinton adviser.

“That's because either would certainly have consolidated more of the Republican Party behind them ... and could have made inroads among both Independents and some Latinos.”

But the adviser cautioned that while “the odds do favor a Clinton victory in November, there are several unknowns — the first being what happens in the debates.

“The bar will be set high for her, so a ‘draw’ could be interpreted as a win for him,” the adviser said. “And of course, there's always the ‘x factor’ of world events; something happening that shakes up the status quo. 

“[It] can’t be predicted, of course, but brings you back to the, 'It ain’t over till it's over,’ point of view.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/291200-team-clinton-tasting-victory
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
Re: Team Clinton tasting victory
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 02:04:37 pm »
“Hillary Clinton’s strongest asset is Donald Trump, far and away,”

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 02:14:20 pm »
I've been a modest contributor to GOP campaigns for a while now and I haven't received a single piece of mail, single phone call or any other outreach of any kind from the Trump campaign.

It's pretty obvious he has completely shunned the "Big Data" GOTV resource the GOP has spent 15 years and tens of $millions putting together.

This campaign is a sick joke.   Do they not realize that their window to reach voters is a matter of weeks, not months, with early voting in many states?

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 02:18:29 pm »
Long time left on the clock.

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 02:21:54 pm »

I'm hoping the Trump regime has a little more sense of urgency because the thought of that vile, corrupt woman as President makes me ill.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 02:29:25 pm »

Not really.  The continued drip-drip-drip of controversy has a cumulative effect, and there is nothing on the horizon that will undo the damage Trump continues to do to himself.

The corruption has already been factored in to Hillary.  There's not really anything that could come out of any emails that could damage her further GIVEN that Trump continues to dump his detritus on the population on almost a daily basis.

Trump is going to lose.  How badly depends on how many fires he sets in the next two months. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 02:45:41 pm »
Hillary Clinton's strongest asset is Donald Trump, far and away.

Is THAT ever the truth... and quite possibly by design, too.  Wonder if they'll celebrate Hillary's victory party together in Trump Tower...

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 02:47:28 pm »

Yep... plenty of time for Hillary to build this beyond a win and to the level of a Nixon-McGovern level thumping. 

Offline Dirt for sale

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 02:47:51 pm »
My worry: Trump supporters saying our way or the highway, then declaring the highway to be treason. Fighting words if i ever heard them.

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 02:49:05 pm »
My worry: Trump supporters saying our way or the highway, then declaring the highway to be treason. Fighting words if i ever heard them.

Well.. the upside is they're not nearly as numerous as they think they are.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 02:52:30 pm »
I've been a modest contributor to GOP campaigns for a while now and I haven't received a single piece of mail, single phone call or any other outreach of any kind from the Trump campaign.

Now that's funny. I am sure it is on record that I too have been a  modest contributor to GOP campaigns. BUT NOT a Trump supporter, yet I get emails from the  Trump campaign all the time, all asking for donations. Can't stop these e-mails even using the unsubscribe feature. Just deleted three that came in yesterday.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 02:56:11 pm »

My worry is that they will believe the "Election was Rigged"excuse Trump will give and that there is no possible way Clinton got more votes, and declare Trump the legitimate President.  And the trump nightmare will continue beyond Nov 8.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 03:03:01 pm »

It's pretty obvious he has completely shunned the "Big Data" GOTV resource the GOP has spent 15 years and tens of $millions putting together.

This campaign is a sick joke.   Do they not realize that their window to reach voters is a matter of weeks, not months, with early voting in many states?

I noted the same thing. By now my mailbox should be overflowing with GOP stuff. This cycle I haven't even gotten a robo call from Donny.....and I live in PA where you would think the push would be on. On the other hand Hitlary is blanketing the airwaves.

Not a good sign.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 03:03:51 pm »

Trump's campaign is not even a joke.  It's gutted the conservative movement and hijacked the GOP. Meanwhile millions of his supporters think he's less dangerous than Hillary, he'll place conservative justices on the SCOTUS and he won't shred the 2nd amendment like she will.  I talked to a Trump supporter just this morning and his comment was, at least Trump has never gotten a rapist off, or killed Americans in Benghazi.  His supporters regardless of how much information comes out about the orange leader, still believe he'll be better.  I'm done trying to understand or reason with these people.  They've been duped and there is no changing their minds.  They don't believe Trump's been in this to assist Hillary!  They think I'm the one losing it.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Dirt for sale

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 03:07:16 pm »
Those who maintain their beliefs only by silencing opposition eventally seek a more permanent means.

When they inevitibly lose, they don't have the numbers, will or moral ground to change the results. It will only serve to feed the monster growing inside them..

Offline libertybele

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 03:11:21 pm »
I noted the same thing. By now my mailbox should be overflowing with GOP stuff. This cycle I haven't even gotten a robo call from Donny.....and I live in PA where you would think the push would be on. On the other hand Hitlary is blanketing the airwaves.

Not a good sign.

I've noticed the same thing here.  Numerous Tv ads and raido ads against Trump.  I have yet to hear one against Hillary.  My mailbox has also been empty, not only of Trump literature but the same is true of campaign Rubio. I've received nothing and the primary is two weeks away. What is sad is we had some really good conservatives who were already in place and campaigning against the DEM and they stepped out of the way so Rubio could retain his seat.  Both Trump and Rubio campaigns silent around here.  Coincidence?  I don't think so.  Rubio was all set to walk away ... he didn't have a change of heart to help those in this state, he had a change of heart because someone lined his pockets to once again stop another conservative from getting into the Senate.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 04:14:57 pm »
Now that's funny. I am sure it is on record that I too have been a  modest contributor to GOP campaigns. BUT NOT a Trump supporter, yet I get emails from the  Trump campaign all the time, all asking for donations. Can't stop these e-mails even using the unsubscribe feature. Just deleted three that came in yesterday.

I don't count email.   Snail mail indicates they know where you live, how you've voted in the past and what level of support you've provided in the past.

That's integral in running a district by district GOTV strategy.   You've got to get reliable people in swing districts out to work and vote for your guy.