Author Topic: The Secret Service Protected Reporter Katy Tur After Donald Trump Singled Her Out at a Rally  (Read 1049 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://theslot.jezebel.com/the-secret-service-protected-reporter-katy-tur-after-do-1785156408?utm_medium=sharefromsite&utm_source=The_Slot_twitter

The Secret Service Protected Reporter Katy Tur After Donald Trump Singled Her Out at a Rally

Stassa Edwards
Today 1:50pm
In an essay for Marie Claire, MSNBC/NBC reporter Katy Tur writes that, after Donald Trump launched a personal attack against her at a South Carolina rally, she had to be accompanied out by Secret Service agents. Tur, who’s been covering Trump for the networks for the last year, became the focus of the Republican candidate’s ire after she live-tweeted protests at an earlier North Carolina rally.

In the tweets, Tur did what she’s paid to do and tweeted about the presence of protestors who were attempting to disrupt Trump’s speech. She noted in the tweets that the protest was effective and Trump ended his speech and left the stage. Following her tweets, Trump followed a now-familiar pattern with reporters, particularly female reporters. Tur writes:

In the hours that followed, Trump took his complaints public, trashing me and CBS News reporter Sopan Deb for the coverage.

“@KatyTurNBC & @DebSopan [sic] should be fired for dishonest reporting,” he tweeted. “@KatyTurNBC, 3rd rate reporter & @SopanDeb @CBS lied.”

He demanded I apologize.

I didn’t, so Trump decided to go further in [South Carolina], pointing his finger squarely at me and launching a personal attack as millions of Americans watched at home.
At the rally in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, Trump howled about the dishonest media, calling out Tur by name. “She’s back there. Little Katy. She’s back there,” Trump said, referring to a grown woman as “little.” Trump continued, calling Tur a “third rate” reporter and her tweets a “lie.” Tur writes that the crowd began booing her, quickly turning on her “like a large animal, angry and unchained.” The Secret Service walked Tur to her car and that, Tur notes, is when the reality of the “incident sank in.”

Since Trump singled her out, Tur says that she’s been on the receiving end of threats and an endless stream of harassment on social media, another aspect of covering the Trump campaign that’s, by now, familiar to a number of female reporters, including Megyn Kelly, Julia Ioffe, and Michelle Fields.

In a February piece for the Washington Post, Paul Farhi wrote that personal insults were part and parcel of covering the Trump campaign. Yet women seemed to fare worse. One female reporter told the Post that covering Trump’s rallies feels “scary,” a word that Tur also used to describe the feeling of being singled out by the Republican candidate and the subsequent fallout.

Trump’s treatment of female reporters seems to be a constant of his campaign, as though fear and intimidation will lead to more sympathetic coverage. Tur’s piece is a striking portrait of the realities of harassment, particularly when an entire community sees it as something to be cheered rather than condemned.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Donald Douchebag, part 145.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I never believed I would see a day when Americans would vote for a 'man' like this.

Its bad enough the Obama targets personal enemies for harassment by federal agencies but Trump doubles down and points them out for the angry mob. Only a fool would believe that Trump wouldn't also use federal agencies to target his enemies as well.

Its 3rd world country behavior.

Offline sinkspur

I never believed I would see a day when Americans would vote for a 'man' like this.

Its bad enough the Obama targets personal enemies for harassment by federal agencies but Trump doubles down and points them out for the angry mob. Only a fool would believe that Trump wouldn't also use federal agencies to target his enemies as well.

Its 3rd world country behavior.

Yep.  Fidel Castro would have nothing on Trump.  After Trump loses and the Secret Service is gone, he's gonna be lucky if he doesn't get his ass kicked. 

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
But...but...but...we're called TRAITORS for refusing to support this charlatan and thug!!!   :shrug:
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Victoria33

Quote from: sinkspur link=topic=220270.msg1012886#msg1012886

[b
The Secret Service Protected Reporter Katy Tur After Donald Trump Singled Her Out at a Rally[/b]
“@KatyTurNBC & @DebSopan [sic] should be fired for dishonest reporting,” he tweeted. “@KatyTurNBC, 3rd rate reporter & @SopanDeb @CBS lied.”
“She’s back there. Little Katy. She’s back there,” Trump said, referring to a grown woman as “little.” Trump continued, calling Tur a “third rate” reporter and her tweets a “lie.”
Since Trump singled her out, Tur says that she’s been on the receiving end of threats and an endless stream of harassment on social media, another aspect of covering the Trump campaign that’s, by now, familiar to a number of female reporters, including Megyn Kelly, Julia Ioffe, and Michelle Fields.

This is the way he is and the way he will govern.  Can you say King/Dictator?  Every person in this country is "less" than he is according to his evaluation of humankind and he will stomp to death by social media any dissenter until you are dead.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 11:28:27 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Cripplecreek

Yep.  Fidel Castro would have nothing on Trump.  After Trump loses and the Secret Service is gone, he's gonna be lucky if he doesn't get his ass kicked.

He'll still have his private security to hide behind.

HonestJohn

This sort of thing is one of the biggest reasons I will *never* support Trump.

Another is his casual bigotry.

And the last is his supporters.  They, like Palin's before him, are deranged.  I despised Palin *BECAUSE* of her supporters... and I see the same behavior with Trump supporters.

Offline JustPassinThru

This sort of thing is one of the biggest reasons I will *never* support Trump.

Another is his casual bigotry.

And the last is his supporters.  They, like Palin's before him, are deranged.  I despised Palin *BECAUSE* of her supporters... and I see the same behavior with Trump supporters.

Palin is not the subject here; and Palin did not fail the vetting the way Trump has failed it.

The only connection is that the Republican base was so outraged at the SMEARING of Palin, that honest highlighting of Trump's deep flaws would be disregarded.  That attacking the media would please the base. 

Trump took the wrong lesson from that and moved his attacks against a hostile, irresponsible media to people doing nothing wrong, who just were his competitors.  And he moved his attacking from sarcastic comments to libels and smears of others...often with untrue facts.

The trumpbots are all eager to blame Cruz for Trump's falling in the polls; but they can more easily blame the sorry state of the press itself.  The press has made itself a parody; and so even truthful, factual, honest reporting of Trump in a negative-but-true light, was disregarded.

The Palin experience was a false paradigm that set the stage for a TRUE idiot and criminal, this Democrat bagman Donnie.

Oceander

What an embarrassment he is.

Wingnut

Donald the grate.   The man without a plan.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

Donald the grate.   The man without a plan.

Cruz said this would happen at least six months ago. And people are pi&&3d that he wouldn't endorse Donald "Vito" Trumpeoni...
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
You can take the NY bagman out of the city but......

Offline Cripplecreek

What an embarrassment he is.

Words can be dangerous especially when they come from a voice of authority. Obama is far more subtle but we've all seen him telegraph who were acceptable targets.

Trump seems to relish the sense of power it gives him to cause fear in Americans.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Stay classy Donald.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!