Author Topic: Report: RNC chairman warned Trump to change campaign  (Read 1593 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Report: RNC chairman warned Trump to change campaign
« on: August 11, 2016, 02:32:26 pm »
August 11, 2016, 07:34 am
Report: RNC chairman warned Trump to change campaign

By Rebecca Savransky

Republican National Committee (RNC) Chairman Reince Priebus reportedly told GOP nominee Donald Trump last week if he didn't change the direction of his presidential campaign, the party would instead pivot to focus more on down-ballot races, Time reported.

Priebus told Trump during a phone call that internal party polls show his campaign is going in the wrong direction, GOP officials told Time.

The RNC chairman reportedly told the Republican nominee that it would have been better if he had gone to his Mar-a-Lago Club in Florida in the days since the Republican convention.

But Trump said during an interview with Time that the interaction never happened.

"He never said that. We never had a conversation about that," Trump said in a Tuesday interview with Time.

"We do very well together. We never had that conversation. Doesn’t exist. And by the way, Reince Priebus is a terrific guy. He never said that. It was never stated. Why would they state that when I’m raising millions of dollars for them?"

Trump has sparked controversy over the past few weeks over a difficult stretch of his campaign. He faced backlash after attacking the Muslim family of Capt. Humayun Khan, who died in Iraq in 2004, and after initially declining to endorse Speaker Paul Ryan and Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.).

The GOP nominee has also been dropping in the polls since the Democratic convention, after which Hillary Clinton saw a bump in her numbers.

Time reported that Priebus told Trump his title is not chairman of the Trump campaign but rather chairman of the RNC. He said he would do what was best for the party.

The RNC chairman also told Trump to stay on message and warned him that he doesn't have much time left to change his polling numbers, the magazine reported.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/291071-rnc-chair-warned-trump-to-change-campaign-or-party-would
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ConstitutionRose

Re: Report: RNC chairman warned Trump to change campaign
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 02:53:10 pm »
I don't know what to believe but I'm inclined to think this is true.  1.  Trump lies so much I cannot believe a word he speaks.  2.  Trump would not be willing to publicly admit such a conversation has taken place.  His self-regard is such that he simply doesn't hear criticism.  3.  The RNC would be wise to see to the down ticket races and I am hoping that reality has finally penetrated.

"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 03:01:00 pm »
"He never said that. We never had a conversation about that," Trump said in a Tuesday interview with Time. 

"We do very well together. We never had that conversation. Doesn’t exist. And by the way, Reince Priebus is a terrific guy. He never said that. It was never stated. Why would they state that when I’m raising millions of dollars for them?"

I used to have dealings with a malignant narcissist, and this is what it sounded like whenever he lied to me.

Not evidence, no ... but it's so familiar. 

But if Priebus didn't have the conversation with Trump, he ought to be fired.  (Well, he ought to be fired anyway, but still...)

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 03:10:11 pm »
Rancid calls Trump or his enablers multiple times per day.  (Looking for the link to post)  And it is not to say hello.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 03:14:24 pm »
I suspect that Priebus did not have a conversation with Trump (to give him deniability that he was taken to the woodshed) but is releasing his sentiments directly to the press in the guise of a phone call.

In other words, Trump gets the message at the same time as everybody else.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 03:27:08 pm »
I suspect that Priebus did not have a conversation with Trump (to give him deniability that he was taken to the woodshed) but is releasing his sentiments directly to the press in the guise of a phone call.

In other words, Trump gets the message at the same time as everybody else.

Now that would be a Machiavellian move.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 03:27:59 pm by r9etb »

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 03:36:03 pm »
Now that would be a Machiavellian move.

I think that dude post here!

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 03:40:37 pm »
You can lead a horse's @$$ to water...

(then he pees in it)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 03:45:49 pm by Gov Bean Counter »
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 04:48:31 pm »
I wonder if this means the Reince is conceding the Presidential Election..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 04:49:48 pm »
I still don't understand how Reince has his job after the 2012 debacle with Romney.

Offline chae

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 04:51:35 pm »
I think this is a clear signal that the RNC is perfectly willing to let Trump self-finance his campaign and spend money on the down ticket races.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 04:58:30 pm »
I think this is a clear signal that the RNC is perfectly willing to let Trump self-finance his campaign and spend money on the down ticket races.

If Trump really has the money like he claimed..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline aligncare

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 05:01:44 pm »
I used to have dealings with a malignant narcissist, and this is what it sounded like whenever he lied to me.

Not evidence, no ... but it's so familiar. 

But if Priebus didn't have the conversation with Trump, he ought to be fired.  (Well, he ought to be fired anyway, but still...)

Republican National Committee (RNC) Chairman Reince Priebus reportedly told GOP nominee Donald Trump...

What about this "story" (free of hard facts as it is) even makes this a newsworthy story? Rumors and innuendo don't count. You have 30-seconds to answer, put your pencil down when you're finished. (50 bonus points for a correct answer ... :silly:)

Offline r9etb

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2016, 05:10:12 pm »
What about this "story" (free of hard facts as it is) even makes this a newsworthy story? Rumors and innuendo don't count. You have 30-seconds to answer, put your pencil down when you're finished. (50 bonus points for a correct answer ... :silly:)

Put it this way: given the horribleness of Trump's campaign (you have 30 seconds to spout your stock denial), I'd be more surprised if Priebus had not called him.

Trump is running the worst campaign I have ever seen.  He needs to be called on it.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 05:10:55 pm »

A Priebus source gave it to The Hill.  It's called "speaking to the candidate without speaking to the candidate."  Trump gets the message.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

geronl

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2016, 07:58:49 pm »
No matter how insane he gets, Trump is the face of the party to the voters.

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2016, 08:04:01 pm »
Trump is running the worst campaign I have ever seen.  He needs to be called on it.

Trump is running a losing campaign because that is what the plan was from the start.

He's in it to elect Hillary and every one of his supporters are complicit.