Author Topic: Trump to coal country: Election ‘is the last shot for the miners'  (Read 2325 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
August 10, 2016, 04:40 pm
Trump to coal country: Election ‘is the last shot for the miners'

By Lisa Hagen

Donald Trump on Wednesday said miners have one “last shot” in this election, cautioning that the coal industry will be nonexistent if Hillary Clinton wins the presidency this fall.

Speaking in Abingdon, Va., in front of miners who held up bright yellow “Trump digs coal” signs, the GOP nominee continued his outreach to the workers and vowed to protect their jobs.

“It is the last shot for the miners,” Trump said. “Hillary will be a horror show, and I’ll be an unbelievable positive,” he continued. “The miners will be gone if she’s elected.”

When Trump took the stage, he introduced leaders from the Virginia Coal and Energy Alliance who praised the real estate mogul for his unequivocal support. They presented him with a flame safety lamp that miners used underground.

Trump said he wants to focus on all forms of energy but argued that the Democratic nominee “will be worse” than the Obama administration when it comes specifically to the coal industry.

“Their jobs have been taken away, and we’re going to bring them back, folks. If I get in, this is what it is,” Trump said, pointing to the “Trump digs coal” signs.

The League of Conservation Voters fired back with a statement after the rally, saying Trump’s “rambling, incoherent speech is evidence … that Trump doesn’t understand the first thing about energy policy.”

The group’s national campaigns director, Clay Schroers, continued: “As strange as it sounded, Trump was actually right when he said  we live on ‘a small planet compared to the universe’ — but that’s exactly why we can’t afford to keep spewing dirty coal pollution into the air.

“His lack of understanding of energy markets and total denial of the costs to public health are vintage Trump — looking for short-term and short-sighted personal gain while hoping someone else will clean up the mess he leaves behind.”

Trump has been capitalizing on his relationship with a group that has felt stung by Clinton; she angered the coal industry in March by saying, "We're going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business."

He won a massive victory in the GOP primary in West Virginia, a state that has a large coal industry, and is trying to spread that message to other states. But only 4 percent of the coal from east of the Mississippi comes from Virginia.

Trump dinged Clinton for those comments and argued that she’ll continue to stand by them, though she has since tried to clarify her stance.

“That’s the real Hillary. That’s what she’s going to do,” Trump said. “Believe me, folks, these politicians can say anything they want, they can get away with it. It’s really disgusting.”

Trump showed more restraint than usual in his Wednesday speech, following a tumultuous few days for the real estate mogul.

He came under fire Tuesday after suggesting that gun rights supporters could take action to stop Clinton from appointing liberal Supreme Court justices, a remark that many took as advocating violence.

But Trump has pushed back on the criticism, and his campaign issued a statement that took called the media "dishonest." He didn’t mention the comments during his Wednesday speech, only saying that the Second Amendment is “under siege.”

His speech also comes after 50 GOP officials penned a letter warning that Trump would put the country’s national security at risk and as more Republicans announce plans to vote for Clinton in the fall.

The former secretary of State has seen a large bounce in the polls nationally, as well as in battleground and GOP-leaning states, since the conclusion of both parties’ nominating conventions last month.

Trump will need to close the gap to remain competitive, and attracting working-class voters in the Rust Belt will be crucial for him in November.

Updated 5:39 p.m.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/291041-trump-to-coal-country-this-election-is-the-last-shot-for
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

Re: Trump to coal country: Election ‘is the last shot for the miners'
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 11:37:28 pm »
He's right about that. Pence was in eastern Ohio coal country today with the same message.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 11:40:42 pm »

These districts are all held by Republicans.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 11:46:07 pm »
These districts are all held by Republicans.
The coal connection is what, exactly? I believe that was the topic.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 11:49:09 pm »
He's right about that. Pence was in eastern Ohio coal country today with the same message.

Another potentially good message which is why I predict, within two days (start the countdown), he'll say or do something that will directly piss off this audience.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 11:50:41 pm »
Another potentially good message which is why I predict, within two days (start the countdown), he'll say or do something that will directly piss off this audience.
It wouldn't surprise me.

geronl

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 12:07:56 am »
and people should trust him because??

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 12:21:03 am »
I agree with what Trump is saying here.  No other candidate gives two sh**s about the livelihoods of those who depend on the coal industry.  As a matter of fact, Hillary wants to eradicate the coal industry altogether.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 02:06:50 am »

I know thats what the miners want to hear but really it is Fracking technology that is driving the Depression in the coal industry....

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 02:20:16 am »
More hysteria. I do not beleve the coal industry will be "nonexistent" if Hillary is elected any more than the Second Amendment will be abolished during her reign of terror. But hysteria seems to work for Trump.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 02:31:42 am »
As someone who is a #NeverHillary, yet a #TrumpSaidWhatThisTime? Person, I think attacking Hillary in Coal country is a good strategy.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 02:35:35 am »
Hillary is not killing coal.  Natural gas is killing coal in this country.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

HonestJohn

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 02:47:09 am »
More hysteria. I do not beleve the coal industry will be "nonexistent" if Hillary is elected any more than the Second Amendment will be abolished during her reign of terror. But hysteria seems to work for Trump.

This.

And there is more to mining than just coal in West Virginia.

Offline unknown

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2016, 04:39:27 am »

"Election ‘is the last shot for the miners'"

This election is the last shot for AMERICA.     :thud:

If Hillary wins it is all over.

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 04:49:26 am »

"Election ‘is the last shot for the miners'"

This election is the last shot for AMERICA.     :thud:

If Hillary wins it is all over.

If Hillary wins it is over, believe me,it is over, and, trust me, people, no one knows over better than me, okay?
Civil War, Woodrow Wilson, Great Depression, LBJ, we're all weak, low energy, because, Believe me, I will build a wall and make America Grate again.
This is the worst EVER but I am the only one who can save this country, no one can do it better, believe me.

:silly:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 05:23:12 am by GrouchoTex »

Offline unknown

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2016, 05:12:27 am »
If Hillary wins it is over, believe me,it is over, and, trust me, people, no one knows over better than me, okay?
Civil War, Woodrow Wilson, Great Depression, LBJ, we're all weak, low energy, because, Believe me, I will build a wall and make America Grate again.
This is the worst EVER but I am the only one who can save this country, no one ca do it better, believe me.

:silly:

Lol

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2016, 05:21:43 am »
Lol

Thanks.
I've done this on a few threads tonight.
I felt I had to put it out there like we would hear it, with a little humor, to get the point across.

Offline unknown

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2016, 05:38:40 am »
Thanks.
I've done this on a few threads tonight.
I felt I had to put it out there like we would hear it, with a little humor, to get the point across.

I thought it was very well done. Thanks.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2016, 06:15:54 am »
Flashback to Iowa during the Primary season, about two hours after Governor Branstad said Cruz had "to be defeated, whatever it cost" because Cruz had said he would seek to eliminate the Renewable Fuels Mandate:

Trump said he'd increase the ethanol mandate, and use the EPA to the fullest extent of the law to enforce that.

As I pointed out then, and will again, the EPA is the single most influential factor in eliminating American industry. Moving target emissions standards for coal fired electrical power generation plants pretty much shut down a bunch of those, some were able to convert to Natural Gas at current prices (only because of fraccing, which the EPA also fought) but others just shut down.

Coal usage plummeted, and miners lost their jobs as mines were shut down.

Behind it all, though, is the EPA. The same EPA Trump wants to use to put more ethanol in your fuel, but that is another story.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2016, 01:23:31 pm »
Behind it all, though, is the EPA. The same EPA Trump wants to use to put more ethanol in your fuel, but that is another story.
True. Obama's EPA is destroying coal (natural gas production, which the EPA also is trying to curtail, is not the culprit, at least in W.Va. and eastern Ohio), and the ethanol mandate is a disaster. Trump may be right about coal but he's dead wrong on ethanol.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2016, 01:42:04 pm »
Folks, I am notoriously #NeverTrump, BUT...

...I was in coal country just two weeks ago and coal country IS Trump country.

I was in WV delivering food as part of a mission trip. EVERYONE there was pro-Trump. I saw plenty of Trump signs and not a single Hillary sign. Not only were the people pro-Trump, they were violently hostile towards Hillary.

One guy said, "I've voted Democrat in every election since I could vote. This year I'm voting Trump because Hillary will mean the end of coal."

They also said that their area once had 400 active coal mines - it's now down to 22, and one is closing soon and there are cutbacks expected at others. These people can see the world falling apart around them and know that Hillary will abandon that whole area.

So, in summary, Trump doesn't have to do a damn thing to win in that area. If he spends any more time campaigning there, he's just wasting time preaching to the choir.

How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2016, 07:47:22 pm »
So, in summary, Trump doesn't have to do a damn thing to win in that area. If he spends any more time campaigning there, he's just wasting time preaching to the choir.
Trump hasn't campaigned in WV. He's had a few fundraisers, though. Pence campaigned in nearby Cambridge, Ohio, and talked about coal. Bottom line: Hillary will continue every anti-coal, anti-gas, anti-everyformofenergyexceptwindmills policy  that Obama has started.

HonestJohn

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2016, 09:35:13 pm »
Folks, I am notoriously #NeverTrump, BUT...

...I was in coal country just two weeks ago and coal country IS Trump country.

I was in WV delivering food as part of a mission trip. EVERYONE there was pro-Trump. I saw plenty of Trump signs and not a single Hillary sign. Not only were the people pro-Trump, they were violently hostile towards Hillary.

One guy said, "I've voted Democrat in every election since I could vote. This year I'm voting Trump because Hillary will mean the end of coal."

They also said that their area once had 400 active coal mines - it's now down to 22, and one is closing soon and there are cutbacks expected at others. These people can see the world falling apart around them and know that Hillary will abandon that whole area.

Montana is more of coal country than West Virginia (ie: amount of coal mined).  And yes, West Virginia is Trump country.

But West Virginia has been losing it's coal industry since the 1970s. 

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2016, 11:05:36 pm »
Yet another ultimatum from the Orange Julius Cesar...

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2016, 11:23:47 pm »
Montana is more of coal country than West Virginia (ie: amount of coal mined).  And yes, West Virginia is Trump country.

But West Virginia has been losing it's coal industry since the 1970s.

They just announced the are shutting down Units 1 & 2 at Colstrip within 6 years and settling a lawsuit by the Sierra Club and others against Puget Sound and Talan, the newer Units 3 & 4  will continue to operate. Units 1 & 2 were built in the 60's and were/are unable to compete against natural gas generation and the companies seem glad to get rid of them. The news is devastating to Colstrip of course but barely made a ripple throughout the rest of the state, it's certainly not giving Trump a boost here.

There is going to be another medical marijuana ballot measure on the November ballot. I could see the Libertarian ticket doing well here because of that, more than offsetting any gain Trump might get from the coal country vote here...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 11:26:05 pm by montanajoe »