Author Topic: Swedish Explorers Find A Jar Of 340-Year-Old Cheese… And It’s Still Edible  (Read 2758 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Nearly 800 folks went down in this old ship in 1676.

Swedish Explorers Find A Jar Of 340-Year-Old Cheese… And It’s Still Edible

When it was completed in 1672, the warship Kronan was the crown jewel of Sweden’s naval fleet. Tragically, in 1676, it sank in rough weather, killing nearly all 800 people on board, and becoming lost for 300 years.

In the 1980s the Kronan was rediscovered and yearly dives have led to countless incredible archaeological finds. The most recent dive, though, turned up something completely unexpected…
Continued:
http://boredomtherapy.com/old-swedish-wreck/?pas=1&as=701aol

Offline skeeter

I'm pretty sure there are moose in Sweden.

Offline goodwithagun

@SunkenCiv  so happy you're here, too! Thought you might be interested in this article. Also, møøse!
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline roamer_1

Wingnut

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that could survive 500 years. 

geronl

That might survive a nuclear apocalypse

Of course it might become sentient...

Offline roamer_1

:shrug:
But I do know it will survive 3 years in the back of the fridge and still be edible. :whistle:

Offline Just_Victor

Depends...

I'll bet petroleum consuming microbes would make pretty quick work of it.

For the record, I refuse to put anything in my mouth with the word "Whiz" in its name.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
  • I'm Junger than that now.
    • Gods, Graves, Glyphs (we're new)
@SunkenCiv  so happy you're here, too! Thought you might be interested in this article. Also, møøse!

Scarre moose, scarre moose, will you do the fandango.  Or somethin'.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert

geronl

For the record, I refuse to put anything in my mouth with the word "Whiz" in its name.

That is probably a good idea.

Offline endicom

Back in the saddle again,
Back where a moose is a friend

Well, you could remount if you wished.

Wingnut

:shrug:
But I do know it will survive 3 years in the back of the fridge and still be edible. :whistle:

Had a friend in college who alwas kept a box of Baking Soda in the fridge.  I know that is not unusual.  But the thing was, every time I ever visited him all he had in the fridge was assorted cans of beer. A gallon jug of water pushed way back in the corner and a 1/2 eaten box of velveta cheese with the top missing.  One day I asked him. "George, why is that box of Arm and Hammer in the icebox?"  Without missing a beat he said; "I don't want my water to taste like cheese!"  I grabbed a brew and headed back to the couch just shaking my head.

Offline roamer_1

Had a friend in college who alwas kept a box of Baking Soda in the fridge.  I know that is not unusual.  But the thing was, every time I ever visited him all he had in the fridge was assorted cans of beer. A gallon jug of water pushed way back in the corner and a 1/2 eaten box of velveta cheese with the top missing.  One day I asked him. "George, why is that box of Arm and Hammer in the icebox?"  Without missing a beat he said; "I don't want my water to taste like cheese!"  I grabbed a brew and headed back to the couch just shaking my head.

I am actually fairly neat and clean these days... Women routinely make that comment about my housekeeping. But in the years of my brilliantly misspent yoot, my fridge looked like a science project.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I'm pretty sure there are moose in Sweden.

@Wingnut @geronl @roamer_1

Edible is a pretty subjective term here considering these people consider lutefisk to be something of a delicacy.

Lutefisk, as you may know, has been identified as one of the 6 most terrifying foods on the planet.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Wingnut

I am actually fairly neat and clean these days... Women routinely make that comment about my housekeeping. But in the years of my brilliantly misspent yoot, my fridge looked like a science project.

Looking back it probably helped you survive in the world today. 

My friend George was, shall we say, very fastidious.  I told him on more than one occasion that he was going to make someone a good wife one day.  And he did. And he was a good one until one night when his bride stabbed him with a steak knife  over her not picking up her thong underwear and putting them in the clothes hamper instead of leaving them on the front lawn as she was apt to do after a few to many drinks.   But I digress.   Fuzz on your food is a good thing.   
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 11:15:00 pm by Wingnut »

Offline uglybiker

Scare a moose?
Is that like tip a cow?
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline roamer_1

[...] his bride stabbed him with a steak knife 

Oddly enough, that's only happened to me twice - Though neither was my bride... And only one actually poked a hole. Unfortunately, neither was prone to thongs, so maybe there is no correlation at all.

@Wingnut
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 05:27:24 am by roamer_1 »