Author Topic: Evan McMullin’s Presidential Run Could Potentially Blow Up the Republican Party  (Read 2727 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Skipping to the funny part.

....Under any scenario, however, the very fact of the McMullin candidacy is almost certain to have a major impact on the Republican electorate. Anyone can see this by heading over to large conservative communities like Free Republic where the members are positively incensed at McMullin’s bid and at the people backing him.

Free Republic is an interesting case because, by and large, its members are more conservative than the Republican Party and also a majority of the membership took a long time to come around to support Trump during the GOP primaries. Initially, Anybody-But-Trump was the leading candidate with many favoring Ted Cruz. Since Trump became the presumptive nominee, however, Free Republic has closed ranks and began backing Trump to the hilt......

https://praxis.ink/2016/08/evan-mcmullins-presidential-run-just-might-blow-up-the-republican-party/

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
“These mother #####ers are really pressing their luck,” argued member dp0622. “I see a Bastille Day in their future.”

“His first step needs to be taking a long walk off a short pier,” advises member headstamp 2.

Freeper JamesP81 sees a conspiracy of what members call the “GOPe,” or the Republican Establishment: “Looks like the GOPe’s Operation BackStab is in full effect.”

Offline sinkspur

Free Republic is about as far from "the Republican Party" as a political site could get. They're cultists and react like cultists when the object of their worship is threatened.

If that old coot wardaddy's panties are bunched up, I'm happy.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

geronl

There are a few third parties and write-in's already, I don't think one more write-in will make much of a difference

Offline Frank Cannon

Who the hell is Evan McMullin and why would anyone care what he does?

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Let it burn.

Offline Vulcan

From rigging the primaries, to seeing that her friend and fellow New York liberal Donald Trump is her general election rival, to having a third party candidate pull votes from Trump, the Clinton Crime figure has covered all the bases.    And through their shallow thinking and extreme gullibility, Trump supporters have allowed her to do it and have been complicit in it.   

Any chance of defeating the witch was lost long ago when the morons fell in line for Trump. 

Offline NavyCanDo

I don't want anyone to "blow up" the Republican Party. I want someone to come along and Rebuild its conservative brand. A conservative that will be able to speak with clarity, intelligence and with a strong positive vision for America. Channeling Reagan, am I?
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Oceander

I don't want anyone to "blow up" the Republican Party. I want someone to come along and Rebuild its conservative brand. A conservative that will be able to speak with clarity, intelligence and with a strong positive vision for America. Channeling Reagan, am I?

:thumbsup:

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Night Hides Not

Who the hell is Evan McMullin and why would anyone care what he does?

The fact that Rick Wilson holds a prominent position in McMullin's campaign is an automatic disqualifier. This is all about sour grapes, as we will see as the klieg lights are shown on the rest of McMullin's supporters.

He won't be anything more than a fart in the wind next week.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Liberty Tree Dr

Thought experiment of the day: If Donald Trump's real goal was to dismantle the Republican party and help Hillary win, what would he do differently than he is doing today?

#NeverTrump #NeverHillary #NeverPutin #NeverMeansNever

If your thought experiment were valid, Trump would be 25% in the polls, not tied in most and leading in some of them.  No, at this point, it is the anti-America, pro-Globalist crowd in the GOPe that has already succeeded in destroying the Republican party.  Trump and the base (or 90% of the base) have performed a leveraged buy-out of a distressed asset.  We've kept the name, and some of the infrastructure, and are just shy of firing the last of the failed leadership that ran the party into the ground.  We're also bringing on board some of the folks who've come to hate the anti-American management style of the other party.

And #NeverTrump = #****Hillary.  If you're going to mention Putin, look into how much the Clintons are in bed with the Russians.  I'm not talking real estate deals - I'm talking major national-security-related behavior influenced by the Russians when Hillary was SoS.

@don-o

edit Nazi ref

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:42:38 pm by MOD3 »
#NeverTrump = #HillarySupremeCourt
We can survive four years of Trump, we can't survive thirty years of Hillary's Supreme Court picks.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

If your thought experiment were valid, Trump would be 25% in the polls, not tied in most and leading in some of them.  No, at this point, it is the anti-America, pro-Globalist crowd in the GOPe that has already succeeded in destroying the Republican party.  Trump and the base (or 90% of the base) have performed a leveraged buy-out of a distressed asset.  We've kept the name, and some of the infrastructure, and are just shy of firing the last of the failed leadership that ran the party into the ground.  We're also bringing on board some of the folks who've come to hate the anti-American management style of the other party.

And #NeverTrump = #****Hillary.  If you're going to mention Putin, look into how much the Clintons are in bed with the Russians.  I'm not talking real estate deals - I'm talking major national-security-related behavior influenced by the Russians when Hillary was SoS.

@don-o

Another paid Trump campaign provocateur goes on ignore.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:43:15 pm by MOD3 »
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline Liberty Tree Dr

From rigging the primaries, to seeing that her friend and fellow New York liberal Donald Trump is her general election rival, to having a third party candidate pull votes from Trump, the Clinton Crime figure has covered all the bases.    And through their shallow thinking and extreme gullibility, Trump supporters have allowed her to do it and have been complicit in it.   

Any chance of defeating the witch was lost long ago when the morons fell in line for Trump.
You realize Trump is leading in some polls, right?  So if this was orchestrated by Hillary, its yet another blow to her credibility as a leader, since she seems to have failed even in choosing Trump as her beatable opponent.  Before using "morons" you might want to see if your own logic has lapsed at some point, else that label might be misapplied.
#NeverTrump = #HillarySupremeCourt
We can survive four years of Trump, we can't survive thirty years of Hillary's Supreme Court picks.

Offline Night Hides Not

And #NeverTrump = #Hillary.  If you're going to mention Putin, look into how much the Clintons are in bed with the Russians.  I'm not talking real estate deals - I'm talking major national-security-related behavior influenced by the Russians when Hillary was SoS.

Go back to TOS, where Hitler comparisons are welcomed.

And your handle is LibertyTree? Hmm, it needs watering...

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:44:01 pm by MOD3 »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline Night Hides Not

@don-o

Give Trump some time to get to 25%, it's only August.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:44:50 pm by MOD3 »

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98

And #NeverTrump = #Hillary.  If you're going to mention Putin, look into how much the Clintons are in bed with the Russians.  I'm not talking real estate deals - I'm talking major national-security-related behavior influenced by the Russians when Hillary was SoS.

@don-o

Not sure how long you have been here - I'm new as well. But, owners have been clear on us steering as clear as possible to Nazi references of the type that oome off as one liner or snarky.

Well thought out posts about historical parallels are in bounds, if I have read the board correctly. You might consider editing to still make your point.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:45:17 pm by MOD3 »

Offline Night Hides Not

Not sure how long you have been here - I'm new as well. But, owners have been clear on us steering as clear as possible to Nazi references of the type that oome off as one liner or snarky.

Well thought out posts about historical parallels are in bounds, if I have read the board correctly. You might consider editing to still make your point.

I'm only an amateur historian, though I've been the primary history teacher for my three children (29, 27, and 14). The Trump phenomenon IMHO is much closer to the French Revolution than 1930s Germany. I don't think it will turn out as badly for Trump as it did for Robespierre, but we're all allowed our own flights of fancy...  :tongue2:

Offline Just_Victor

You realize Trump is leading in some polls, right?  So if this was orchestrated by Hillary, its yet another blow to her credibility as a leader, since she seems to have failed even in choosing Trump as her beatable opponent.  Before using "morons" you might want to see if your own logic has lapsed at some point, else that label might be misapplied.

The latest RCP data:

Poll                         Date         Sample     MoE  Clinton (D)   Trump (R)   Spread

RCP Average               7/29 - 8/8       --         --     47.6         40.1      Clinton +7.5
NBC News/SM               8/1 - 8/7     11480 RV     1.2     51           41        Clinton +10
LA Times/USC              8/2 - 8/8      2136 LV     --      45           43        Clinton +2
ABC News/Wash Post        8/1 - 8/4       815 RV     4.0     50           42        Clinton +8
IBD/TIPP                  7/29 - 8/4      851 RV     3.4     46           39        Clinton +7
McClatchy/Marist          8/1 - 8/3       983 RV     3.1     48           33        Clinton +15
NBC News/Wall St. Jn      7/31 - 8/3      800 RV     3.5     47           38        Clinton +9
FOX News                  7/31 - 8/2     1022 RV     3.0     49           39        Clinton +10
Reuters/Ipsos             7/30 - 8/3     1072 LV     3.5     43           39        Clinton +4
Economist/YouGov          7/30 - 8/1      933 RV     4.1     46           43        Clinton +3
CBS News                  7/29 - 7/31    1131 RV     3.0     47           41        Clinton +6
CNN/ORC                   7/29 - 7/31     894 RV     3.5     52           43        Clinton +9

Trump hasn't shown up leading in any of the RCP polls in over two weeks.  It's worth noting though that the likely voter polls are much tighter than the registered voter polls.  That is fairly normal in normal election years.  But I think this year is going to make a mess out of likely voter models.  But I can't say with any confidence who that is going to benefit.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:53:17 pm by Just_Victor »
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline livius

Free Republic is an interesting case because, by and large, its members are more conservative than the Republican Party and also a majority of the membership took a long time to come around to support Trump during the GOP primaries. Initially, Anybody-But-Trump was the leading candidate with many favoring Ted Cruz. Since Trump became the presumptive nominee, however, Free Republic has closed ranks and began backing Trump to the hilt......

Yes, that was funny. Actually, FR did not "close ranks." JR and the administrators, being truly Trumpish, simply banned and got rid of anyone who wasn't a Trump worshipper.  FR is a cesspool now. Racist, violent and insane. I'm embarrassed that I was ever part of it.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I'm only an amateur historian, though I've been the primary history teacher for my three children (29, 27, and 14). The Trump phenomenon IMHO is much closer to the French Revolution than 1930s Germany. I don't think it will turn out as badly for Trump as it did for Robespierre, but we're all allowed our own flights of fancy...  :tongue2:

:whistle: :silly:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline LonestarDream

LV polls always reflect reality better.  'Adults' or 'RV' polls will always make the dems look better. 

Trust LV polls more.  And Clinton is up two.

The latest RCP data:

Trump hasn't shown up leading in any of the RCP polls in over two weeks.  It's worth noting though that the likely voter polls are much tighter than the registered voter polls.  That is fairly normal in normal election years.  But I think this year is going to make a mess out of likely voter models.  But I can't say with any confidence who that is going to benefit.
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline Applewood

I'm sorry to say I've lost hope of bringing the Republican Party back to conservatism.  As some enlightened sage once said, "you can't fix stupid."

Offline Night Hides Not

I'm sorry to say I've lost hope of bringing the Republican Party back to conservatism.  As some enlightened sage once said, "you can't fix stupid."

That ship left the harbor when Cruz was thrown overboard by the raging pack animals known as Trumpeteers.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

EXACTLY the reason I am no longer a Republican!  Conservatives are going to have to find a new vehicle!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien