Author Topic: “Of two evils, choose neither.” – Charles Spurgeon  (Read 3611 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
“Of two evils, choose neither.” – Charles Spurgeon
« on: August 08, 2016, 06:18:20 am »
“Of two evils, choose neither.” – Charles Spurgeon

And here we are, at a crossroad for choosing.

Turn to the left, and you find yourself in the camp of Hillary Clinton. She is the Teflon candidate. She has weathered more scandals and been let off the hook for more misdeeds and missteps than probably any known candidate in our nation’s very short history.

How she manages to elude justice and become the Democrat nominee, I have no certain idea. I suspect there is more than a slight bit of collusion going on behind the scenes. Politics is a cesspool, and until very recently, we could claim the Democrat end to be most corrupt and putrid.

If you turn to the right at this crossroad, you find yourself with Donald J. Trump. His supporters are made up of a mish-mash of the poorly educated, the angry, who desperately need a scapegoat for their anger, Nazis (No, seriously… Nazis), and the odd addition of Christians who feel he is the “lesser” of two evils.

If the idea of Christians united with Nazis for a common goal (getting Trump elected) causes you to recoil in disgust, you are not alone.

I’ve watched the nightmare of Trump unfold for the past year and I’ve taken every opportunity to sound the alarm about what he was. As a nation, we had better to choose from, but Trump was chosen by the people.

Trump is an unrepentant adulterer. He owns gambling houses. He demeans women, veterans, immigrants, and the handicapped.

Trump has not only cheated on his wives, but has cheated small business owners out of their rightful pay. He’s made a fortune out of sticking it to those he owes debts to, and has left creditors holding the bag, as he has used the bankruptcy courts to avoid payment.

He is ungracious, profane, and a bully.

Those the people choose to represent them are a direct reflection on the people, themselves.

So what does that say about Trump’s supporters? Or Hillary’s, for that matter?

More importantly, what does it say about those Christians that want to use the excuse, “At least he’s not Hillary” as a reason for supporting such a man?

I am in full agreement that we can’t let Hillary get in the White House. The damage she would inflict on our nation and our constitutional freedoms would take generations to correct.

I am equally convinced that Trump is not the answer for a Christian.

To Spurgeon’s point, there is no acceptable level of evil. Christians who are willing to trade Hillary’s wickedness for Trump’s, simply because of the magical “R” beside his name betray their principles, as Christians.

That “R” doesn’t stand for righteous.

What I’m hearing from most is that they will support a man who has never displayed anything hopeful or godly in his life, on the off chance that maybe he won’t be as bad as they know Hillary will be.

Is that faith?

If it is, it’s misplaced and misguided, at best.

I was told last night that if I stood against Trump, I was battling against God.

It was a curious and disturbing statement. I have to assume this person, in her zeal to exalt Trump, was incorrectly applying Romans 13:2:

“Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.” Romans 13:2 NIV

As it is, however, Trump is not president, nor any authority, at this point.

He’s a reality TV star running for the presidency, and giving fair warning about him is not out of line with what God would have us do.

All throughout the Old Testament, God allowed for wicked leaders to be placed in authority over the people. Quite often, we can assume it was to humble the people and bring them back to Him. So it would seem, per Proverbs 16:4:

“The Lord has made everything for its own purpose,
 Even the wicked [according to their role] for the day of evil.” Proverbs 16:4 AMP

As it appears, either Trump or Hillary would be a punishment on this nation, and we would deserve it. If these are the representatives of our values that we clamor for, even our Christians, then is this nation worth saving, or do we belong on the ash heap of history?

I offer this for your consideration: At a crossroads, you don’t have to take the left or the right. Sometimes, you just go straight ahead.

If by associating with wickedness and sin, we aid in the fall of many people, do we not bear a portion of that wickedness on ourselves?

There comes a time to stay the course and not be distracted or led astray by doubt, fear, or party loyalty.

I’ve made a choice to stand on my faith and my Christian principles. I will not aid in ushering in any age of corruption or wickedness by placing the sacred trust of my vote with anyone who does not represent my values.

Does that mean God is going to honor my faithfulness by not giving us Hillary or Trump?

No. We may very well end up with one of the two evils that the people have clamored for.

What it does mean, however, is that I held to my faith, and will continue, through the good days and the bad, alike.

My God has been faithful to me through hard times before. I refuse to bow to fear. I refuse to “go along to get along.”

I will stay the course, looking neither to the left or the right, because our answers are not there. I’ll vote my values, whether those are popular or even successful in this election, and whatever happens after, I will still trust God.

“I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful.” 2 Timothy 4:7 NLT

http://www.redstate.com/sweetie15/2016/08/07/christians-crossroad-choosing-lesser-two-evils-still-choosing-evil/

I had to post this story.  The author has stated many of the things that I have said.  We are to be like minded.  Not of our own mind but of the mind of God.  This is confirmation to me that staying the course is the right thing to do.  People can criticize.  Even Christians may criticize me but I will not choose evil at all.  I stated the same right here in this forum just the other day.  I won't waver and accept what is not right.  Christians have used the excuse that God uses the ungodly.  The author of the article shows that isn't right and it is only as a form of punishment.  If God chooses to allow the people's clamor for unrighteousness to allow us to wander in the desert He will.  But I am not going to worship the golden calf.  I thought to my self when the question was asked.  Who should I release Barrabas or Jesus the crowd shouted Barrabas.  They chose evil over good.  This country is shouting the same.  Even my brothers and sisters in Christ.

Furthermore the author brings to the forefront the truth.  Its fear.  Its fear driving our election.  Anyone who is a mature Christian knows this is not right.  And I am also sure that most of us have fallen into this sin.  The sin of trusting our human emotion of fear instead of clinging to our faith.  Psalms 91 is an awesome promise to us of which  we should cling.  We need to trust in the Lord.  As the author say's it may be Hillary of Trump.  But as for me and my house we serve the Lord.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: “Of two evils, choose neither.” – Charles Spurgeon
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 07:15:05 am »
 :word:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 07:31:15 am »
Personally, if I am faced with a choice of two evils I pick the amusing one.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline kartographer

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 10:42:31 am »
Personally, if I am faced with a choice of two evils I pick the amusing one.

Charley Waite: "Well you may not know this, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dying."

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 11:01:57 am »
“Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.” ― Mae West

Smart woman.

:tongue2:

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 11:06:57 am »
Neither is fine. :patriot:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 11:42:12 am »
i keep thinking of that old Richard Pryor movie "Brewster's Millions".

"None of the above"
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 12:00:08 pm »
If you turn to the right at this crossroad, you find yourself with Donald J. Trump. His supporters are made up of a mish-mash of the poorly educated, the angry, who desperately need a scapegoat for their anger, Nazis (No, seriously… Nazis), and the odd addition of Christians who feel he is the “lesser” of two evils.
The writer describes what's wrong with Trump's supporters. That doesn't mean Trump himself is evil. Hillary, on the other hand, certainly seems to meet the criteria for pure evilness, if what she did in Benghazi is any clue.

Trump is stupid, obnoxious and repulsive, but I'm not quite convinced he's evil, in the true sense of the word. Maybe it's not so much as a choice between "the lesser of two evils" as trying to decide which one is "the not-quite-as-unqualified-and-disgusting."   :shrug:  What a mess.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 12:02:02 pm »
The writer describes what's wrong with Trump's supporters. That doesn't mean Trump himself is evil. Hillary, on the other hand, certainly seems to meet the criteria for pure evilness, if what she did in Benghazi is any clue.

Trump is stupid, obnoxious and repulsive, but I'm not quite convinced he's evil, in the true sense of the word. Maybe it's not so much as a choice between "the lesser of two evils" as trying to decide which one is "the not-quite-as-unqualified-and-disgusting."   :shrug:  What a mess.

Authoritarian and stupid is plenty.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 12:42:38 pm »
The writer describes what's wrong with Trump's supporters. That doesn't mean Trump himself is evil.

The whole point of the article was to portray Trump supporters as Nazis (no, seriously, Nazis). The rest of the article is only a means to that end.

It will be fun to see how all the super-rich, elite, detached, Jews who are determined to paint Trump as antisemitic react when they get a dose of full-on, unmitigated antisemitism from their Leftist counterparts led by Hillary herself and her pro-PLO, pro-Iran, positions and staff.

Unknown to the general public is that many American Jews are more antisemitic than some white-supremacy groups. They have no problem with the anti-Israel American Left actively working against Israel because they hate Israel right along with them.

However, at least some of these American Jews do not and will not grasp the concept that people like Hillary and her staff do not distinguish between Israel and Jews in general. Hillary and her pro-Muslim staff may have an initial list of what they label as a "good Jew" (meaning a Jew who is helping them), but in the long run no distinction will be made between a 'good' or a 'bad' Jew. They are all simply just Jews, and that is all that matters to an antisemitic regime.

The American press can dwell on Trump and call him a Nazi all they want, but they are missing all the red flags going up in front of them concerning their misguided support for Hillary and her pro-Islam staff. Trump is too stupid to be antisemitic. He doesn't have time to give a damn about that stuff. However Hillary does. And they will see her position on Israel and Jews in general come into full force unless they learn to calm down and look past all the hype.

Of the two, Hillary is far more dangerous to them than Trump is. But I cannot imagine the 'stiff neck' American Jews admitting this simple fact anytime soon. They are too deep into the ideology to see the obvious. Many American Jews have rejected 'Judaism' and replaced it with 'Leftism' as their new religion. And they will continue to pray on the alter of their new Baal until the very day they are sacrificed to him, or in this case, sacrificed to her.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 12:59:27 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 01:00:26 pm »
Charles who? Who gives a crap.

If people don't want to vote for Trump, don't let the door hit them on the way out. Good riddance.

More hate from Red State.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 01:11:00 pm »

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 01:12:49 pm »
Trump is too stupid to be antisemitic.

A ringing endorsement!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 01:13:12 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 01:16:29 pm »
Charles who? Who gives a crap.
@TomSea

Displaying one's ignorance proudly is an interesting development in modern American culture, expanding right at the time more tools are at hand to gain simple information.

Let me help...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Charles+Spurgeon

The answer to your question is "many, many good Americans".
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 01:17:40 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 01:24:39 pm »
Evil is evil!  Trump = Hillary!

No vote from me for either of them!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 02:40:12 pm »

The only thing I think we can say is that Trump is the unknown evil.  Of course he has not served in government but his words alone have shown his evil side.  It shows that his mind is capable of evil.  Consider for a moment a man that speaks of the Chinese response in Tiananmen Square as a strength.  Ask any of those people who lived that tragedy if Trump has evil in his mind.  Saddam,.....strength,............Kim Jung Un and of course Vladimir Putin.  The time he said he could shoot someone and people would still vote for him.  Throw in the Mussolini quote and keeping a Hitler book by his bedside for reading pleasure.

He admires governing by death.  I don't know anything more evil.

Ask yourself who would say these things?  Who would flat out declare he could shoot someone?  Is that a stable mind worthy of the office of POTUS?

He's just unknown evil.  But he has the mind of a tyrant.

AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 02:42:16 pm »
I thought Eric Erickson had already gone into the tank for Hillary like so many never trumpers.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2016, 02:42:21 pm »
He's just unknown evil.  But he has the mind of a tyrant.
Perhaps so. And Hillary is the known evil. Like I said above, what a mess.  **nononono*

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2016, 02:45:03 pm »
Charles Spurgeon is a well-known NeverTrumper so take what he says with a grain of salt.

:whistle:
Countdown to Resignation

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2016, 02:53:32 pm »
Charles Spurgeon is a well-known NeverTrumper so take what he says with a grain of salt.
:silly:

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2016, 02:54:03 pm »

:whistle:

Filthy nevertrumpers like Washington, Coolidge, and Reagan. :pondering:

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2016, 03:37:59 pm »
Filthy nevertrumpers like Washington, Coolidge, and Reagan. :pondering:

Who needs um?

Who needs Washington, Coolidge, and Reagan when God, Jesus, Buddha, Zoroaster, Vishnu, and Abraham Lincoln, all support Trump. And so does, Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman.

(as long as we are making stuff up, let's go with it)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 03:39:04 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Dirt for sale

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2016, 07:02:44 pm »
"As long as the evil deed does not bear fruit, the fool thinks it like honey; but when it ripens, then the fool suffers grief."
-  Subhadra Bhikshu, A Buddhist Catechism

"Often the fear of one evil leads one into a worse."
- Boileau, L'Art Poetique. canto i, 1. 64.

"The authors of great evils know best how to remove them."
- Cato the Younger, when advising the Senate to place all power in Pompey's hands. (Plutarch, Lives: Cato. Ch. 47, Sec. 3.)

"Every evil in the bud is easily crushed; as it grows older, it becomes stronger."
- Cicero, Phillippicae. No. v, sec. 11.

"The resolution to avoid an evil is seldom framed till the evil is so far advanced as to make avoidance impossible."
- Thomas Hardy, Far From The Madding Crowd. Ch. 18.

"All evils are equal when they are extreme."
- Corneille, Horace. Act II, sc. 4.

"Ah me! We believe in evil,
Where once we believed in good;
The world, the flesh, and the devil
Are easily understood."
- Adam Lindsay Gordon, Wormwood and. Nightshade. St. 8.

"Evil no nature hath; the loss of good
Is that which gives to sin a livelihood"
- Robert Herrick, Evil.

"Evil is wrought by want of Thought
As well as want of Heart."
- Thomas Hood, The Lady's Dream, 1. 95.

"No evil man is happy."
- Juvenal, Satires. Sat. iv, 1.8.

"Evil is fittest to consort with evil."
- Livy,  History. Bk. xxiii, sec. 3.

"The best known evil is the most tolerable."
- Livy, History. Bk. xxiii, sec. 3.

"Evil springs up, and flowers, and bears no seed.
And feeds the green earth with its swift decay,
Leaving it richer for the growth of truth."
- J.R. Lowell, Prometheus, 1. 263.

"No evil is great which is the last evil of all."
-  Seneca, Epistlce Ad Lucilium. Epis. iv, sec. 3.

"The oldest and best known evil was ever more supportable than one that was new and untried."
-  Montaigne, Essays. Bk. iii, ch. 9.

"When evil is advantageous, he errs who does rightly."
- Publilius Syrus, Sententice

"Of evil grain no good seed can come"
- John Ray, English Proverbs, 8. (1670)

"Recompense to no man evil for evil."
- New Testament: Romans, xii, 17.

"For by excess of evil, evil dies."
- George Santayana, Sorrow.

"There is no evil that does not offer inducements. Avarice promises money; luxury, a varied assortment of pleasures; ambition, a purple robe and applause. Vices tempt you by the rewards which they offer."
- Seneca, Epistulce ad Lucilium. Epis. 1xix, 4.

"Evils that take leave,
On their departure most of all show evil."
- Shakespeare, King John. Act iii, sc. 4, 1. 114.

"All spirits are enslaved which serve things evil."
- Shelley, Prometheus Unbound. Act ii, sc. 4.

"The curse of an evil deed is that it must always continue to engender evil."
- Schiller, Piccolomini. Act v, sc. 1.

"Evil, like a rolling stone upon a mountaintop,
A child may first impel, a giant cannot stop."
- Richard Chenevix Trench, Evil.

"Evil to him who thinks evil."
- The motto of the Order of the Garter, originated by Edward III in 1349.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2016, 07:57:50 pm »
Quote from: Charles Spurgeon=topic=219673.msg1007722#msg1007722 date=1470637100
I’ve watched the nightmare of Trump unfold for the past year and I’ve taken every opportunity to sound the alarm about what he was. As a nation, we had better to choose from, but Trump was chosen by the people.

I firmly believe Trump is a Trojan Stalking Horse for the purpose of making Hildabeast's sElection by the Oligarchy look 'legitimate'.

Either that - or it's been set up so that as both of these 'nominees' make the idea of Obama staying on due to whatever emergency events demand, is deemed a better proposition and permitted by both parties who hate their nominee.

We've all been had.

We've already been fundamentally transformed, and it frightens me how many people still place all their faith and confidence in a corrupted election system to loft their political messiah into power and make things right.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2016, 08:04:19 pm »
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me."

Figure if you are gonna trust God - then trust God.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 08:04:58 pm by EC »