Author Topic: EDITORIAL: If Obama cancels the presidential election, who will stop him?  (Read 3388 times)

rangerrebew

August 7, 2016
If Obama cancels the presidential election, who will stop him?
By Lloyd Marcus

Many of you have heard the conspiracy theory that Black Lives Matter and other paid thug protest groups will cause so much chaos in the streets that Obama will use it as an excuse to cancel the presidential election and remain president.  I do not think that will happen.

However, I asked my wife Mary a rhetorical question: "If Obama did cancel the election, who would stop him?"  Folks, the terrifying answer which we all know is "no one."  For eight years, even after we gave Republicans control of the House and Senate, the GOP has allowed Obama to break the law and ignore the Constitution at will.  Congress has ignored their power of the purse and funded everything Obama has decreed.  Senate majority leader Republican Mitch McConnell said that no matter what Obama does, impeachment is off the table.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/08/if_obama_cancels_the_presidential_election_who_will_stop_him_.html#ixzz4GeOFodBB
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Offline Crazieman

I do believe I brought this up at TOS 3-4 years ago.
Mixed-race Mutt.
Your racist accusations are invalid.

Start thinking Constitutionally and stop thinking in groups.

Offline oldmomster

Since they have already shown they won't impeach him over ALL THE LAWS HE HAS ALREADY TRAMPLED, why not?

But I dont believe the weenies in congress that pass for repubs will be faced with that problem.  The hillary camp already has the votes programmed in to give the dems a permanent majority.

Once her first 100 days and millions of illegals are citizens, we won't have to worry about elections anymore - the polls will ALL show dems ahead by 98%  :thud:

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The presidential election falls under Congress, not the Executive branch.

The Congress may determine the Time of choosing the Electors, and the Day on which they shall give their Votes; which Day shall be the same throughout the United States.

rangerrebew

The presidential election falls under Congress, not the Executive branch.

The Congress may determine the Time of choosing the Electors, and the Day on which they shall give their Votes; which Day shall be the same throughout the United States.

Since about the time of Dred Scott, the congress  has been turning over it's responsibilities to the other two branches of government.  With Benedicts Ryan and McConnell, it is entirely possible congress would try to weasel out of this responsibility and pass it on to the oligarchy in black.  If so, we would have our first dictator - officially, that is.

Offline Applewood

I was thinking if Hillary appears to be winning, what would be the point of canceling?  Her administration would be like O's third term.

Tell me I'm all wet.

Oceander

How?  Other than an active military coup he can't do anything because the president has nothing to do with the election in the first place.

Offline Vulcan

Hillary is going to win and Trump is helping her. 

This is a non-issue.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I do believe I brought this up at TOS 3-4 years ago.

Its brought up every 4 years. When a republican is in office democrats are sure he's going to cancel elections. If a democrat is in office republicans are sure he's going to cancel elections.

So far of the 9 presidents of my lifetime none have called off an election.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
How?  Other than an active military coup he can't do anything because the president has nothing to do with the election in the first place.

That made me laugh. It made me laugh out loud.

Obama does not now and never has cared anything at all about any Law or rule or anything else. He laughs at the 'law' and does whatever he wants, whenever he wants, anytime he wants to. As as much as Obama holds America and American law in disdain, he laughs at Congress even more. He, apparently correctly, considers them to be a corrupt group of sniveling, groveling, opportunists who will blindly obey any royal edict he puts forth.

I'm not saying Obama will stop the election if he thinks Trump may win. But if he did decide to do it, no 'law' or rule and nobody in Congress would stop him. He would just do it! And say that it is done. And so it would be.

With all of his butt-kissing, proselyte worshipers in the media and in Congress, Obama has no law. And he knows it full well.

No one would dare challenge him. It would be a soft coup if he did it.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 09:44:32 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Oceander

That made me laugh. It made me laugh out loud.

Obama does not now and never has cared anything at all about any Law or rule or anything else. He laughs at the 'law' and does whatever he wants whenever he want anytime he wants to. As as much as Obama holds America and American law in disdain, he laughs at Congress even more. He, apparently correctly, considers them to be a corrupt group of sniveling, groveling, opportunists who will blind obey any royal edict he puts forth.

I'm not saying Obama will stop the election if he thinks Trump may win. But if he did decide to do it, no 'law' or rule and nobody in Congress would stop him. He would just do it! And say that it is done. And so it would be.

[/size]With all of his butt-kissing, proselyte worshipers in the media and in Congress, Obama has no law. And he knows it full well.

No one would dare challenge him. It would be a soft coup if he did it.

/snicker

so clueless

HonestJohn

Its brought up every 4 years. When a republican is in office democrats are sure he's going to cancel elections. If a democrat is in office republicans are sure he's going to cancel elections.

So far of the 9 presidents of my lifetime none have called off an election.

Yep.  This is pablum for the gullible.

Offline goatprairie

Yep.  This is pablum for the gullible.
:amen: In my sixty plus years I've hear about one million conspiracy theories or predictions of things that were sure to happen. None of the dire events predicted by the chicken littles ever happened. Not one.
A recent one was my lib stepdaughter and her husband who were sure that if Dubya won his second term in 2004, he was going to draft all people under 20, including females, for the Iraq War. They had made plans to escape to Canada when that sure thing occurred. Well, they never had to go to Canada.
Another one was the prediction in 2008 by a co-worker that Dubya was going to negate the 2008 election results and declare martial law if Obama won.  I'm sort of sorry that one didn't come true.

Offline Dirt for sale

This is a non-issue.
Agreed.

Hillary has already won
And Trump is only having fun.
Obama's magnanimity
Will be extolled for generations
For he deigned to pass the torch to Hillary.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Agreed.

Hillary has already won
And Trump is only having fun.

Absolutely no guts in you at all, eh?

Giving up without a fight is not the way this country was founded.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Dirt for sale

I agree with you, but our national electoral scene is not the ring for such a fight. This is where illusion reigns. In fact, this scene is more akin to that one in Princess Bride, when the meddling midget got poisoned due to his belief that the two choices varied. 

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The better question would be, how would he enforce such a ludicrous order?

Even despots don't cancel elections; they just fix them.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

geronl

I don't think a President has such power

Offline JustPassinThru

There is a problem with this theory.

The Federal Government does not hold elections.  STATES do; overseen by counties.  All fifty states would have to cancel general elections, first.

Second...the election of a President is not done by general election.  ELECTORS, in the Electoral College, elect the President.  The State Legislatures appoint Electors.

All fifty states have gone to electing Electors by popular balloting...you vote for a slate of pledged electors.

In the event of a corrupted or otherwise unintelligible election, the State Legislatures can vote in Electors. 

All fifty states would have to agree, first to not hold elections, and second, to not send Electors.

If the Electoral College cannot select a President - either for deadlock or because there is not a quorum - then the House of Representatives WILL...elect a President.

I understand that Barry doesn't give a bucket of excrement about the Constitution, but that's an awful lot of ignoring he'll have to do.  And an awful lot of cooperation from all fifty states (grated, I think the Paul-Ryan House would be eager to help him).

If Barry tries something cute...I have a sense that a number of important people and people in critical posts have had just about enough.

Oceander

The Federal Government does not hold elections.  STATES do; overseen by counties.  All fifty states would have to cancel general elections, first.

Second...the election of a President is not done by general election.  ELECTORS, in the Electoral College, elect the President.  The State Legislatures appoint Electors.

All fifty states have gone to electing Electors by popular balloting...you vote for a slate of pledged electors.

In the event of a corrupted or otherwise unintelligible election, the State Legislatures can vote in Electors. 

All fifty states would have to agree, first to not hold elections, and second, to not send Electors.

If the Electoral College cannot select a President - either for deadlock or because there is not a quorum - then the House of Representatives WILL...elect a President.

I understand that Barry doesn't give a bucket of excrement about the Constitution, but that's an awful lot of ignoring he'll have to do.  And an awful lot of cooperation from all fifty states (grated, I think the Paul-Ryan House would be eager to help him).

If Barry tries something cute...I have a sense that a number of important people and people in critical posts have had just about enough.

Well put!

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
@JustPassinThru

Also very good reasons for having an electoral college.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Bingo!  The President can't unless he makes an unprecedented emergency power grab Venezuela style, and I doubt he would have any support for that unless it was an emergency like a meteor hitting the US destroying several states.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I doubt Obama wants to remain president anyway. He is too lazy to deal with all that comes with the position. I am pretty sure that he has his sights set on some do-nothing position in the U.N.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline GrouchoTex

I like Marcus, but I think he is going over the top here.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

This is a non-issue.

Obama is moving on to run the UN.  He isn't worried he has said his legacy will continue after he leaves.  He has assured it with Hillary.  Trump is how this country was duped into a third term of Obama policy.  He has been working to get Hillary elected from the beginning.  His campaign has not been able to stop his stupidity because it was planned that way.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.