Author Topic: No, Despite the Washington Chatter, The 2016 Race Is Not Over  (Read 883 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

No, Despite the Washington Chatter, The 2016 Race Is Not Over
« on: August 05, 2016, 04:14:41 pm »
SOURCE: COOK POLITICAL REPORT

URL: http://cookpolitical.com/story/9799

By Amy Walter

According to the chatter in Washington and on Twitter today, the election is over. The Donald Trump campaign literally imploded, sending red hot shards of burning metal across the countryside. The campaign staff is in disarray, RNC leaders are apoplectic and looking for an “out clause” on the nomination. Meanwhile, calls from the GOP elites for elected officials to “Dump Trump” continue to grow. But, pardon me for not going along with the narrative. Do I think Trump is a damaged candidate running a terrible campaign? Absolutely. Do I think that he has zero chance to win and has effectively lost the race in August? No. 

Here’s why.

First, we have two of the most disliked and distrusted candidates running against each other in modern political history. That point can’t be understated. It creates much more fluidity and volatility than we’ve seen in our more “traditional” campaigns. As I’ve written before, they are also challenging the traditional coalitions and alliances that we have come to know and understand. 

Second, Clinton got a decent convention bump in the polls. Whether or not it sticks depends on three things: 1) Trump’s ability to keep the focus on her weaknesses and off of his. So far, he gets an “F” here;   2) things out of her control - how President Obama handles a potential terrorist attack, another Wikileaks dump with more serious allegations about her, or an expose on the Clinton Global Initiative that puts her in a bad light; 3) unforced errors. Clinton is obviously much more disciplined than her opponent, but she’s also shown some glaring lapses - whether it was her “dead broke” comment to Diane Sawyer or her most recent comments to Fox’s Chris Wallace about her “truthful” testimony to the FBI.

Third, the disconnect between the elite and the non-elite is bigger than ever. Many of us who cover politics for a living (and I am implicating myself here) spend way too much time in the Twitter feedback loop. Interviewing former Bernie backers and Trump rally-goers isn’t a way to find out what “regular” voters think either. Most voters are only partially engaged in this election. They follow politics the way that I follow the NFL season. I am aware the Super Bowl is in January (or February), but I am not following the day-to-day, week to week rankings, games, scores and trades. The closer we get to the playoffs, the more closely I will start paying attention. We are in August people. There is a long way to go until November. 

Finally, the media’s attention span is unbelievably fickle. We are one natural disaster or plane crash away from the attention shifting from Trump’s troubles to non-stop, round-the-clock coverage of something else. 

At the end of the day, here’s what we know. Trump is running a disorganized, unconventional and seat-of-the-pants campaign that is driven as much by what he sees/hears on cable TV as anything else. This approach won him the primary but it really limits his pathways to 270 Electoral College votes.  Hillary Clinton is running an organized and disciplined campaign that lacks the sort of organic excitement or enthusiasm of a “normal” campaign. It comes across as stilted and poll-driven and focused-group to within an inch of its life. But, she has more options to get to 270 than he does. She is clearly the favorite. But, this race is not over.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: No, Despite the Washington Chatter, The 2016 Race Is Not Over
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 04:23:30 pm »
No it is not over.  My guess is that wikileaks will come out with an absolute blockbuster of a leak that will implicate the Clinton Foundation of blatant RICO activities.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 04:34:25 pm »
No it is not over.  My guess is that wikileaks will come out with an absolute blockbuster of a leak that will implicate the Clinton Foundation of blatant RICO activities.

Sure, but what will the ABC, NBC, CBS and CNN's of the world do?

My guess is -- like they over reported the Khan family and totally ignore Mrs. Pat Smith's speech by 50 to 1, the press will relegate it to page A6.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 04:35:10 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline ExFreeper

• USAF 1975-87
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 04:39:21 pm »
Last night I heard Dana Perino say on Fox that Hillary has 600 paid staffers compared to Trump's 60.  She said obviously Hillary's staff is too large however she questioned why Trump has not hired more staff at the state level, especially the states he must win.  I simply cannot comprehend the Trump campaign.   
"A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself." - Milton Friedman

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 04:44:03 pm »
Trump attacked the Fat Lady on Twitter.
"The Fat Lady can't sing good and is an extremely unattractive woman,
I refuse to say that because I always insist on being politically correct."

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 05:00:57 pm »
Last night I heard Dana Perino say on Fox that Hillary has 600 paid staffers compared to Trump's 60.  She said obviously Hillary's staff is too large however she questioned why Trump has not hired more staff at the state level, especially the states he must win.  I simply cannot comprehend the Trump campaign.

Trump, ever the narcissist thinks that like the GOP Primaries, he can win by sheer force of personality and FREE air time everytime he opens his big mouth by saying something outrageous.

During the primaries, Ted Cruz out-organized him and was winning delegates in states that Trump never even bothered to have a ground game in. When the delegates in those states pledged their votes for Cruz and Cruz was winning delegates and adding them to his tally, Trump ( and his fans like many at FreeRepublic ) started to shout -- CHEATING as if Ted Cruz broke the primary rules. Sean Hannity even joined in the "CHEATING" game when he interviewed Ted Cruz.

I'm willing to bet if he loses to Hillary, he's going to shout the same thing and do the same schtick --- CHEATING, RIGGED ! "I'M GONNA SUE" <--- that's what he's good for.

He doesn't realize that the primaries are different from the general where he has to win over INDEPENEDENTS as well as the Conservatives he alienated. The more he talks the more people realize
that he is the sound bite man and nothing more ( e.g. Lyin' Ted, Little Marco, Low Energy Jeb, and now Crooked Hillary ). I am waiting in vain for him to say something SUBSTANTIAL especially when it comes to policy. The only thing I get from him are TWEETS and feuds with this or that person.

For all this talk about his being a great businessman, all he has proven thus far is how disorganized he is. I can't imagine how his scatterbrained approach to campaigning will be used to run the executive branch of the American government.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 05:03:33 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 05:45:03 pm »

There's a very good possibility of that.

In any case,

this is all far from over...
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 12:35:14 am »

And American voters will yawn and mumble something like "so what."

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 12:48:36 am »
Yep, it pretty much is.
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 12:52:43 am »

Trump frittered his money away on losing ventures and scams, and now is trying to run his campaign on the cheap. He needs every dime he has.