Author Topic: Latest Poll Shows Ryan Desperately Clinging to Mere 66-Point Lead  (Read 1068 times)

Offline sinkspur

Latest Poll Shows Ryan Desperately Clinging to Mere 66-Point Lead

by JIM GERAGHTY   

August 5, 2016 10:25 AM

Yesterday I asked what Trump gets out of his refusal to endorse Ryan, and his kind words for Ryan’s primary challenger Paul Nehlen.

Granted, this is a House primary in the middle of summer, and turnout is likely to be low. And polling a congressional district is usually a little tougher and more expensive than polling a state. But with all of those caveats noted, it looks like Tuesday will be a blowout:

Paul Ryan leads his Republican primary challenger, Paul Nehlen, by 66 points five days ahead of the election. Ryan leads with 80% to 14% for Nehlen with 6% undecided.

Paul Ryan’s image in the district mirrors the ballot. Ryan is extremely popular in his district with a favorable rating of 80% compared to an unfavorable rating of just 14%. Nehlen, on the other hand, is viewed unfavorably by 47% of likely Republican primary voters and viewed favorably by just 16%.

Assume Nehlen doubles his level of support in this poll. Will he and Trump claim that a 70-30 loss is a moral victory? 

Breitbart.com reports that Ryan is “running scared”, declares his team “terrified” of defeat Tuesday and that his “policy record is collapsing among voters here under scrutiny.” No doubt the team at Breitbart sees Ryan as an unacceptable sellout, a terrible Speaker, and someone they would love to see defeated in the primary. But wanting something to happen does not make it happen. As noted elsewhere, a lot of impassioned people who want to see victories in politics have problems in grasping scale. They think a couple hundred Internet commenters indicate an uprising in a primary election that will involve, at minimum, 40,000 or so voters. (More than 42,000 people voted in Ryan’s 2014 primary; he won 94 percent against a little-known challenger.)

Similarly, they think a small band of #NeverTrump holdouts will cost Trump a presidential election that will have 120 million to 130 million votes; they think a rally of 10,000 or 15,000 people in Florida is a reliable indicator of who will win a contest that will involve 8 million to 9 million votes. 

Long ago, Saul Alinsky wrote, “The moment one gets into the area of $25 million and above, let alone a billion, the listener is completely out of touch, no longer really interested, because the figures have gone above his experience and almost are meaningless. Millions of Americans do not know how many million dollars make up a billion.” Sadly, widespread innumeracy hasn’t changed.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/438719/lastest-poll-shows-ryan-desperately-clinging-mere-66-point-lead
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Wingnut

Re: Latest Poll Shows Ryan Desperately Clinging to Mere 66-Point Lead
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 02:57:28 pm »
The Trump Effect:

Ryan leads with 80% to 14% for Nehlen with 6% undecided.

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 03:15:34 pm »
Guess he doesn't need Cheeto's endorsement.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 03:26:12 pm »
I wish true conservative candidates could be this desperate come election day.

Offline sitetest

• #NeverEVERtrump. #Neverhitlery
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 03:49:37 pm »
Come Tuesday,  breitbart news may need to change its name to Baghdad Bob News.
Former Republican.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 03:52:52 pm »
Oh, and Paul Ryan did endorse Trump. Along with the TX congressman who was just on the Mike Gallagher show.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 03:53:59 pm by TomSea »

Online ScottinVA

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 03:53:49 pm »
The Trump Effect:

Somehow, I think Ryan will be fine.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 03:54:29 pm »
Oh, and Paul Ryan did endorse Trump.

With much obvious buyers's remorse.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online ScottinVA

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 03:55:59 pm »
Oh, and Paul Ryan did endorse Trump. Along with the TX congressman who was just on the Mike Gallagher show.

You're right.  Nehlen would likely be in single digits had that not happened. 

Also noting t-Rump refused to reciprocate.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 04:04:07 pm »
The Trump Effect:

The pro Trump challenger in my district got flogged by about 75-25 the other day.

I guess folks weren't thrilled to pick up the phone and hear someone shouting at them about Making America great again, lying about "Wall Street Wally"* and pimping the Denniss Kucinich sponsored NEED Act as a central pillar of his campaign.

* "Wall Street Wally"  is what leftists call Tim Walberg for no apparent reason other than its a convenient catchy phrase. He's probably one of the poorest congressmen in DC

Offline ExFreeper

• USAF 1975-87
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 04:07:58 pm »
Come Tuesday,  breitbart news may need to change its name to Baghdad Bob News.

I don't understand what happened to Brietbart.  I understand they love Trump but the anti-Cruz articles are way over the top.  I refuse to visit their site.  It is almost like Brietbart and Drudge got together and colluded on ways to make Cruz look bad.

I watched Nehlen the other night on CNN.  This was the 1st time I had seen him give an interview.  It was like watching a Twilight movie.  The man had a wild crazy look in his eyes.  He answers made no sense or relation to the question being asked.
"A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself." - Milton Friedman