Author Topic: BEN SHAPIRO: Conservatism's Sad And Ugly Transformation Into Trumpism  (Read 912 times)

RAT Patrol

Conservatism's Sad And Ugly Transformation Into Trumpism

By Ben Shapiro
August 3, 2016

If elected, Trump would destroy conservatism, the only solution to our country’s woes. Another week, another Donald-being-Donald moment. For many years in baseball, Indians, Red Sox, and Dodgers outfielder Manny Ramirez became a running joke in the fan community. That wasn’t because he couldn’t hit — he was a tremendous hitter. It’s because Ramirez was a kook. He’d throw to the wrong base, then shrug awkwardly. He’d take a stroll into the Green Monster, then fail to reemerge even as the game continued. He’d steal second base, then get confused and wander back toward first base before being thrown out.

These moments became known as “Manny being Manny” moments: If you want the good, they came along with some of the bad.

Donald Trump is the same way. Every few days, Trump does something so inexplicable, so morally and politically reprehensible, that conservatives end up stunned. The difference between Trump and Ramirez: Ramirez’s job was to hit a baseball; Trump’s job is to not have these moments. Imagine if Ramirez had batted .190. It would have been difficult to laugh off “Manny being Manny.” Trump doesn’t even bat .190. He’s the 2013 Dan Uggla of politics.

And yet Trump keeps having these Donald-being-Donald moments, and we’re supposed to just keep laughing them off. The latest: This week, Trump attacked a Gold Star family by saying, of the mother of a slain soldier, “She probably, maybe she wasn’t allowed to have anything to say” — presumably thanks to her religion. He also attacked not one but two fire marshals and said that Vladimir Putin had not invaded Ukraine. Trump simply can’t stop himself.

Which leaves Republicans in an awkward position. After the respective party conventions, Trump is the only viable electoral alternative to Democratic lying harridan Hillary Clinton, the most corrupt major-party nominee in modern American history. And yet Trump is so wildly unpalatable as a presidential candidate by any normal conservative or rational standard that many conservatives find themselves unable to vote for him.

These conservatives are now under heavy pressure to pull the lever for Trump. There are two main arguments advanced by Trump voters: first, that Trump will be better than Hillary Clinton; second, that anyone who refuses to vote for Trump bears moral responsibility for Hillary Clinton’s subsequent presidency.

Both of these arguments fall short.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/438623/conservatisms-moral-crisis-defending-trumps-lies

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
Re: BEN SHAPIRO: Conservatism's Sad And Ugly Transformation Into Trumpism
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 05:06:49 pm »
Anyone who is "transforming" is not a conservative.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 05:11:31 pm »
Trump is just another form of apostasy of once-Constitutional principles being discarded for demagogic vengeance masquerading as pragmatism.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 05:13:16 pm »
Shapiro nail it, as usual.

In short, too many conservatives seem perfectly willing not only to pull the lever for Trump — understandable — but to lie for him, to justify his foolishness and ignorance and instability and overall insanity. That’s why the second justification for voting Trump — that if you don’t vote Trump, you’ll be responsible for Hillary’s presidency — destroys the first rationale: It suggests that anything that harms Trump, including honesty, must be morally deficient.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 05:15:59 pm »
Anyone who is "transforming" is not a conservative.

I don't disagree with Shapiro often, but I think he's mischaracterizing conservatives here. Trump is a populist.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 05:27:44 pm »
I don't disagree with Shapiro often, but I think he's mischaracterizing conservatives here. Trump is a populist.

I think he is aiming at pundits and "conservative leaders."  Not the best example of true conservatives.

geronl

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 06:44:59 pm »
Trump is just another form of apostasy of once-Constitutional principles being discarded for demagogic vengeance masquerading as pragmatism.

:amen: :amen:

geronl

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 06:45:51 pm »

I think that was about Trump supporters more than Trump.

HonestJohn

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 09:33:21 pm »

That was my take as well.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 09:46:43 pm »

I understand, but a populist is what he is because his rhetoric appeals to popular thought.

Conservative implies a specific set of beliefs that do not necessarily correlate to popular thought.

As is only too painfully clear these days given the fact we cannot get a conservative nominated anymore.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 09:48:00 pm by skeeter »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 09:52:15 pm »
Conservatism cannot be transformed into 'Trumpism'. 

ConservativeS can surrender their principles and adopt Nationalist/Populist Fascism - but that does not make it 'Conservatism', even though it will be perverted into such via an apostasy that preaches that what Trump represents is 'Conservatism'.

Overall, it's the Republican party itself being transformed, Conservatives being effectively neutered and run out of that party.

Which is why Conservatives need to rally around the idea of belonging to a new party - such as the Constitution Party (which I think holds the majority of the principles that Conservatives believe in).

Not that any party at this late date is going to save us from what is coming - because it is too late for that now.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 10:09:01 pm »

He’s the 2013 Dan Uggla of politics.

That's going to leave a mark.  (Speaking as a Braves fan, of course.)
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 10:16:53 pm »