Author Topic: Odyssey of a NeverTrumper  (Read 87655 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Re: Odyssey of a NeverTrumper
« Reply #175 on: August 10, 2016, 04:52:24 pm »
The primaries are over. The "other than Trump supporters" WERE a majority, but that is the way the game is played. Reality.

One of two candidates will swear the oath on Jan 20. Reality.

There is one ideologically pure candidate. Reality.

Not voting Trump lessens the work load and paves the path for the pure statist ideology candidate. Reality.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #176 on: August 10, 2016, 04:57:58 pm »
The primaries are over. The "other than Trump supporters" WERE a majority, but that is the way the game is played. Reality.

One of two candidates will swear the oath on Jan 20. Reality.

There is one ideologically pure candidate. Reality.

Not voting Trump lessens the work load and paves the path for the pure statist ideology candidate. Reality.

And 'they' couldn't care less.  Reality.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #177 on: August 10, 2016, 05:05:14 pm »
And 'they' couldn't care less.  Reality.

I would not go that far. I would say "they" (a term I hesitate to use - it's not specific) care about a single aspect to the exclusion of all others.

This is known from my experience.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #178 on: August 10, 2016, 05:05:35 pm »
Reality.

Our moral choices matter to God. Reality.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #179 on: August 10, 2016, 05:06:18 pm »
I would not go that far. I would say "they" (a term I hesitate to use - it's not specific) care about a single aspect to the exclusion of all others.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #180 on: August 10, 2016, 05:17:54 pm »

'They'...are not morons.  'They' are not ill-informed.  Just for the example you cite.

Therefore, 'They' couldn't care less.   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Meshuge Mikey

• Master of Visual Propaganda
« Reply #181 on: August 10, 2016, 05:21:31 pm »
The sHrillary..and The Donny are playing n the same team! the score  wont matter unless another Team Shows Up!! 

Have Indentified as a Male since birth!

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #182 on: August 10, 2016, 05:24:17 pm »
Our moral choices matter to God. Reality.

You have yet to prove that the choice of who to vote for is a moral choice. To, again.  try to be clear, one must decide first whether the act of voting is morally permissible. I find no moral basis not to vote. Moral judgements apply to acts that I do or do not do. They do not apply to other people.

That is for prudential judgment and the better / worse analysis.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #183 on: August 10, 2016, 05:29:04 pm »
You have yet to prove that the choice of who to vote for is a moral choice. To, again.  try to be clear, one must decide first whether the act of voting is morally permissible. I find no moral basis not to vote. Moral judgements apply to acts that I do or do not do. They do not apply to other people.

Given that I completely reject your analysis, and have given ample justification for doing so, I'm really not that interested in your rehash of unconvincing claims.

I'm just going to content myself with reminding you of your fallacies.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #184 on: August 10, 2016, 05:44:05 pm »

So on the flip side, if voting is not a moral issue; there would be no moral issue with voting in a Hillary or a Hitler. There must be some level we say enough is enough. How do we decide where that is?
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #185 on: August 10, 2016, 05:48:31 pm »

Like everything you post on this thread, you again fail again to post anything but sophistry. Do you know what that word means? Hint: It comes before philosophy.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #186 on: August 10, 2016, 05:55:34 pm »
Like everything you post on this thread, you again fail again to post anything but sophistry. Do you know what that word means? Hint: It comes before philosophy.

Wow.  A bit touchy, Don?

Project much?

Strawman much?

Because, hey, you did it again!

Offline thackney

« Reply #187 on: August 10, 2016, 06:05:17 pm »

My voting is an act I do.  It is a moral choice for me.

I find it sad to find another conservative that thinks there is no morality in their choice to vote.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #188 on: August 10, 2016, 06:11:04 pm »

Doesn't every action we take or don't take boil down to a moral choice?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #189 on: August 10, 2016, 06:17:01 pm »

Yes.

Especially when that choice bears directly on the morality of this nation.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #190 on: August 10, 2016, 06:17:27 pm »

I don't think it's quite THAT easy - I may choose the action of reaching into this here bag of tortilla chips, and make the conscious decision to pick one at random, and dip it into this bowl of salsa sitting here...

Is that a matter of morality? Unless you want to call me on my rather corpulent body type, not really...

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 06:18:20 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #191 on: August 10, 2016, 06:26:31 pm »

Offline r9etb

« Reply #192 on: August 10, 2016, 06:26:48 pm »
I don't think it's quite THAT easy - I may choose the action of reaching into this here bag of tortilla chips, and make the conscious decision to pick one at random, and dip it into this bowl of salsa sitting here...

Is that a matter of morality?

lol ... quite right.  I made the mistake in my younger years of trying to defend the proposition that it is.   It was a rather embarrassing "hobgoblins of little minds" moment for me.

However, a decision to not vote for either major party candidate is rather different....

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #193 on: August 10, 2016, 06:29:31 pm »
So on the flip side, if voting is not a moral issue; there would be no moral issue with voting in a Hillary or a Hitler. There must be some level we say enough is enough. How do we decide where that is?

Correct. Then enters prudential judgement where the better / worse options must be be weighed.

Consider eating pie. It is not a matter that needs moral judgement. My belief is that God allows me to eat anything that is is edible.

I probably should, however grapple with some better or worse aspects using prudential judgment..

What kind of pie? How much pie? If I eat all the pie how does that action affect others who deserve some of that pie? How much will my pie eating affect my health?

With Trump / Clinton, what I have done is to think of the post January 20 reality and what is a reasonable expectation. It takes little time to conclude with high confidence that Clinton is Obama's third term. I call that, in my mind "a known known" and consider it unacceptable.

So, I must judge the realistic options I have for preventing it.

As of today, Trump is that realistic option. I reject the "pick your poison" assertion. And I can live with some "known unknowns." 

As to those who thinks that his moral failings and his undisciplined tongue, disqualify him, I won't attempt to dissuade them. I posted my essay to share MY experience.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #194 on: August 10, 2016, 06:29:59 pm »
@guitar4jesus

Your tag: If you place winning above integrity you have already lost.

That's it... Right in a nutshell. Thx.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #195 on: August 10, 2016, 06:30:43 pm »
My voting is an act I do.  It is a moral choice for me.

I find it sad to find another conservative that thinks there is no morality in their choice to vote.

The Amish don't vote. I do vote.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #196 on: August 10, 2016, 06:31:35 pm »

Is that a matter of morality? Unless you want to call me on my rather corpulent body type, not really...

I don't know, are you double dipping? ;)

Seriously, if you are over-indulging, like I have a tendency to do, then yes, I would say it is a moral decision with respect to how God wants us to live.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #197 on: August 10, 2016, 06:32:04 pm »

@don-o You and weaver are shooting well over my head, but I can't shake the feeling that one judgement day I'm going to stand accountable to the leaders I give support to with my vote. Now, maybe I can't argue that in high tone philosophy; but gosh durn it there right and there's wrong. This country is in the mess that it is in for making immoral choices in regards to our leaders.

Is it immoral to vote for a member of the KKK, or a murder. We live in a Republic and we as citizens are stewards of our nation. I think we will stand accountable for the choices we make that will effect our children and grand children. I think that makes voting a moral issue. Now I can't prove it with all the high highfalutin language you cotton to, but there it is. 

“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Online roamer_1

« Reply #198 on: August 10, 2016, 06:37:16 pm »
lol ... quite right.  I made the mistake in my younger years of trying to defend the proposition that it is.   It was a rather embarrassing "hobgoblins of little minds" moment for me.

However, a decision to not vote for either major party candidate is rather different....

Right... It is different. Take as a case study, the moral impact of knowingly supporting a candidate that is pro-choice. Or even supporting a candidate that is merely indifferent to the injustice of abortion...

There is surely a moral aspect in such a decision. One which I will not suffer.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #199 on: August 10, 2016, 06:37:59 pm »
@guitar4jesus

Your tag: If you place winning above integrity you have already lost.

That's it... Right in a nutshell. Thx.

888high58888