Author Topic: Why Trump Supporters Think He'll Win  (Read 1820 times)

Offline oldmomster

Why Trump Supporters Think He'll Win
« on: August 03, 2016, 01:59:53 am »

David Frum Jul 29, 2016

'“You people in the Acela corridor aren’t getting it. Again. You think Donald Trump is screwing up because he keeps saying things that you find offensive or off-the-wall. But he’s not talking to you. You’re not his audience, you never were, and you never will be. He’s playing this game in a different way from anybody you’ve ever seen. And he’s winning too, in a different way from anybody you’ve ever seen.

“Our convention worked. Donald—I’m not on the payroll, I can call him that—Donald energized his voters: people who are afraid of crime and worried about the mass immigration that’s transforming their country and displacing them. We talk a lot about polls, but you ignore the polls that don’t show what you expect to see.

“Here’s what’s going to happen. We’re going to run up vote totals like you’ve never seen in places you’ve never been. Not just coal country, either. No, we don’t have what you’d call a proper campaign. What do we need it for? Campaigns spend most of their money on TV ads that do nothing except entertain you on YouTube on your lunch hour—oh, and pay huge commissions to the consultants who make them. It’s all a waste and rip-off. If our message is exciting, our voters will get to the polls on their own. And you have to admit: Our message is exciting!'

more

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/07/backing-donald-trump/493619/

Offline Suppressed

Re: Why Trump Supporters Think He'll Win
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 02:30:12 am »
There's a lot of truth to this. 

It's easy to forget how clueless many people are.  They aren't glued to news sources, lack analytical or logical thinking skills, and/or have limited insight or discernment.  It's easy to think that the obvious is seen by all.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline oldmomster

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 02:34:56 am »
There's a lot of truth to this. 

It's easy to forget how clueless many people are.  They aren't glued to news sources, lack analytical or logical thinking skills, and/or have limited insight or discernment.  It's easy to think that the obvious is seen by all.

Exactly - look at the shows on TV - Real housewives of Anywhere, disgusting reality shows - we cant even get the dem-packed courts to ensure that only citizens vote - a civics test would be the impossible dream!

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 02:44:47 am »
Here’s what’s going to happen. We’re going to run up vote totals like you’ve never seen in places you’ve never been.

But it won't be enough to win the election.  Trump is proving himself to be mentally unfit for the presidency. More and more people will see that and realize that.

The 35% of Republicans who supported him will always be there.  In another two months, that will be all he'll have.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline oldmomster

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 02:46:50 am »
But it won't be enough to win the election.  Trump is proving himself to be mentally unfit for the presidency. More and more people will see that and realize that.

The 35% of Republicans who supported him will always be there.  In another two months, that will be all he'll have.

....mebbe....mebbe not.

'“You’ve been building up to this for a long time. No more Superheroes rescuing women in the movies. The girl always has to throw the last punch herself. In the commercials, Dad’s either an idiot—or he’s doing the housework with his boyfriend.

"And you know what? It’s not just our hillbilly voters who are going to vote ‘no’ to all that. A lot of men you never imagined will vote for us. Trump’s going to do better with Latino men than you expect—probably no worse than Romney. He’s going to do better with black men than Romney ever did. And his numbers with white men will be out of sight. Every time you demand that Donald show respect to Hillary—while laughing as Hillary disrespects Donald—you push those numbers up.

“You tell us we’re a minority now? OK. We’re going to start acting like a minority. We’re going to vote like a bloc, and we’re going to vote for our bloc's champion. So long as he keeps faith with us against you, we’ll keep faith with him against you. Donald's a scam artist, you tell me. You’re from The Atlantic? Read that great book by one of your former colleagues, Jack Beatty, about Boston’s Mayor Curley, The Rascal King. Curley was a scam artist. The Boston Irish loved him for it—even when he scammed them, too—because Curley pissed off the people the Boston Irish hated and who hated them. (I can still say ‘pissed off,’ right?) It’s going to be just that way with Donald. I mean, Mr. Trump. I mean, President Trump.”
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 02:50:15 am by oldmomster »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 02:50:24 am »
Why Trump Supporters Think .  .  .

I stopped reading right there.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 02:54:33 am »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 02:55:44 am »

David Frum Jul 29, 2016

'“You people in the Acela corridor aren’t getting it. Again. You think Donald Trump is screwing up because he keeps saying things that you find offensive or off-the-wall. But he’s not talking to you. You’re not his audience, you never were, and you never will be. He’s playing this game in a different way from anybody you’ve ever seen. And he’s winning too, in a different way from anybody you’ve ever seen.

“Our convention worked. Donald—I’m not on the payroll, I can call him that—Donald energized his voters: people who are afraid of crime and worried about the mass immigration that’s transforming their country and displacing them. We talk a lot about polls, but you ignore the polls that don’t show what you expect to see.

“Here’s what’s going to happen. We’re going to run up vote totals like you’ve never seen in places you’ve never been. Not just coal country, either. No, we don’t have what you’d call a proper campaign. What do we need it for? Campaigns spend most of their money on TV ads that do nothing except entertain you on YouTube on your lunch hour—oh, and pay huge commissions to the consultants who make them. It’s all a waste and rip-off. If our message is exciting, our voters will get to the polls on their own. And you have to admit: Our message is exciting!'

more

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/07/backing-donald-trump/493619/

Maybe all of this is true. Maybe I'm so far out in right field I just can't see it.

But none of what is related in this article makes any sense at all to me. I understand and agree with most of what irks the Trump people. But I can see that this is a lark for him, he's playing his supporters.

What concerns me is when this becomes widely apparent its going to cause alot of well meaning average Americans to totally tune out the political scene & leave the field to the progressives and establishment types, who would like nothing better than to not have to deal with the hoi poloi.

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 03:03:56 am »
Trump may not be talking to the Acela crowd, but the only people he is talking to are a small minority.  He is not building support outside of the vocal minority that gave him the nomination, and the more he speaks, the more people he turns off.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 03:04:10 am »
....mebbe....mebbe not.

'“You’ve been building up to this for a long time. No more Superheroes rescuing women in the movies. The girl always has to throw the last punch herself. In the commercials, Dad’s either an idiot—or he’s doing the housework with his boyfriend.

"And you know what? It’s not just our hillbilly voters who are going to vote ‘no’ to all that. A lot of men you never imagined will vote for us. Trump’s going to do better with Latino men than you expect—probably no worse than Romney. He’s going to do better with black men than Romney ever did. And his numbers with white men will be out of sight. Every time you demand that Donald show respect to Hillary—while laughing as Hillary disrespects Donald—you push those numbers up.

“You tell us we’re a minority now? OK. We’re going to start acting like a minority. We’re going to vote like a bloc, and we’re going to vote for our bloc's champion. So long as he keeps faith with us against you, we’ll keep faith with him against you. Donald's a scam artist, you tell me. You’re from The Atlantic? Read that great book by one of your former colleagues, Jack Beatty, about Boston’s Mayor Curley, The Rascal King. Curley was a scam artist. The Boston Irish loved him for it—even when he scammed them, too—because Curley pissed off the people the Boston Irish hated and who hated them. (I can still say ‘pissed off,’ right?) It’s going to be just that way with Donald. I mean, Mr. Trump. I mean, President Trump.”

Trump's at 12% with minority voters, 16% with Hispanics. Romney won 27% of Hispanics. Nothing is going to happen that will boost those numbers.   He will win men, but lose women dramatically. 

Nobody is demanding that he show deference to Hillary. It would be nice, though, if he tried to show some respect for his fellow Republicans and endorse them.  He won't do that, though.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline oldmomster

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 03:07:01 am »
I understand and agree with most of what irks the Trump people. But I can see that this is a lark for him, he's playing his supporters.

....like we've been played by Ryan, McConnell and the entire repub party.

I cant see into his heart, but Trump doesnt appear to do much as just a 'lark'.  Time will tell.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 03:10:56 am »
Trump may not be talking to the Acela crowd, but the only people he is talking to are a small minority.  He is not building support outside of the vocal minority that gave him the nomination, and the more he speaks, the more people he turns off.

But he will get a lot of #never Hillary votes.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

geronl

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 04:03:28 am »

Gallup says 51% were less likely to vote GOP after the convention, the worst post-convention result since the started doing it. It was never negative before but a 15% drop is tremendous.

That is what he said worked.... lol

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 05:16:55 am »

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 05:28:06 am »
There is the endless meme that because the RINO Insiders are, or were, opposed to Trump, that the rest of us lemmings should start herding to his command.

The enemy of my enemy is NOT...always...my friend.  Because the Communists were fighting the Brownshirts in the streets of Berlin, did that make the Communists the Good Guys?  Millions of Russian Jews and other disfavored, liquidated people would tell you otherwise.

And that is what this is, really.  We're watching the cultists fight the RINO stealth-Hillarites; and the only thing we can do is hang our heads.  NEITHER of those groups, and neither of these pathetic candidates, have an answer.  And one thing they're united in, is that WE must be marginalized and shut up.

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 05:36:21 am »
....like we've been played by Ryan, McConnell and the entire repub party.

I cant see into his heart, but Trump doesnt appear to do much as just a 'lark'.  Time will tell.

You do see who Trump is surrounded by now, don't  you? He helped Ryan and McConnell wrack up more power for the GOPe right in front of your eyes.  It astounds me that Trump supporters can't see that Trumps train is loaded with the same old empty boxcars we've been trying to derail.
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Offline Dirt for sale

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 05:39:07 am »
They're setting themselves up for disappointment. At some point this cult may feel impelled to lash out, to vent their incubating rage. Suborners like Stone are already planting seditious seed. Neither of these muppets speaks for me and I won't be associated with them. If it ends in violence, they just need to stay off the lawn, first of all, and secondly they need to keep the music down. People are trying to sleep.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 05:40:12 am by Dirt for sale »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 05:43:28 am »
They're setting themselves up for disappointment. At some point this cult may feel impelled to lash out, to vent their incubating rage. Suborners like Stone are already planting seditious seed. Neither of these muppets speaks for me and I won't be associated with them. If it ends in violence, they just need to stay off the lawn, first of all, and secondly they need to keep the music down. People are trying to sleep.

:beer:  goopo
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn