Author Topic: State Hair Braiding Laws Kill Jobs, Punish Workers  (Read 559 times)

rangerrebew

State Hair Braiding Laws Kill Jobs, Punish Workers
« on: August 02, 2016, 04:44:25 pm »
 State Hair Braiding Laws Kill Jobs,
Punish Workers
Posted By Ali Meyer On August 2, 2016 @ 4:59 am In Issues | No Comments

Occupational licensing laws kill jobs and shut entrepreneurs with modest means out of the job market due to costly requirements, according to a report from the Institute for Justice.

The report, which focuses on hair braiding, evaluates whether the act of braiding hair poses any risks that would justify requiring an occupational license and whether these licenses create barriers that keep people out of work.

Currently, there are 16 states in the United States that require hair braiders to get a cosmetology license, which involves spending between 1,000 and 2,100 hours in training and thousands of dollars on tuition. In these classes, students have to learn how to use chemical treatments and how to cut hair, tasks that have nothing to do with braiding hair.

Article printed from Washington Free Beacon: http://freebeacon.com

URL to article: http://freebeacon.com/issues/state-hair-braiding-laws-kill-jobs-punish-workers/

Offline SirLinksALot

Re: State Hair Braiding Laws Kill Jobs, Punish Workers
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 02:25:31 pm »
Imagine me as a woman....

Suppose I am your neighbor, and you got to know me and after knowing me for a while, you saw me doing a great job braiding the hair of my daughter ( I have no license by the way ).

You then tell me, "Hey, you're such a great hair braider, can you do my hair? I'll pay you $X for the job."

I agreed, did her hair and she was happy.

A person round the see's the neighbor with a great new hair, asks her where she got her beautiful job done, and she innocently informs the person that I did it.

If the person snitches on me, I will have to pay a fine or go to jail now?

I call this an idiotic law.

What about allowing me to do this business from home?

My neighbor tells others what a great job I've done and what a reasonable price she paid for the job, others then come to my home similarly to get their hair done.

Bingo, a home business is born.

Which is the better policy? to punish me or to leave me alone?

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 02:26:02 pm by SirLinksALot »