Author Topic: Automotive Inequality: The Dems’ Next Issue?  (Read 1318 times)

rangerrebew

Automotive Inequality: The Dems’ Next Issue?
« on: July 31, 2016, 12:25:23 pm »
July 31, 2016
Automotive Inequality: The Dems’ Next Issue?
By Loren Smith

The top 1% of automobiles sold in America have maximum speeds and performance levels that are significantly above the bottom 99% of automobiles sold.  It’s high time to restore automotive justice to our nation.  Progressives must take up this overlooked cause and set legislative wheels in motion to ensure that no driver is left behind.  Just as with income inequality, this trend has been getting worse over the last 50 years.  In the late 60’s, the average car buyer could afford a GTO, Charger, Mustang or similar muscle car at prices that were only slightly above tamer transportation choices of the day.  In 1966 a new GTO carried a window sticker of between $2,780 and $3,080.  Yet in that golden era of automotive fairness, a Bel Air 4-door station wagon was $2,940 – virtually the same price!

Now the discriminatory gap separating performance based on ability to pay has mushroomed malignantly and dramatically.  These days, to burn rubber into the high performance zone, it’s necessary to spend far more on a Tesla, Ferrari, Maybach, Porsche or other exotic name plates that lie well outside the common customer’s ability to pay.  Lower net worth buyers are relegated to Ford Focuses, Nissan Versas, Toyota Tercells and similar models with puny four cylinder engines featuring measly torque and weak acceleration.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/07/automotive_inequality_the_dems_next_issue_.html#ixzz4FzLbCYo0
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Automotive Inequality: The Dems’ Next Issue?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 12:49:15 pm »
Anything to drive the costs up even more.

Taxpayers are going to spend millions turning the Willow Run property into a self driving test facility.

Michigan approves millions for autonomous car testing facility

http://readwrite.com/2016/07/28/michigan-autonomous-vehicle-facility-tl4/

$17 million from Michigan alone and they want another $60 million

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 12:53:13 pm »

I have a Studebaker. Flathead 6, 86hp (gross), manual everything, no radio.
And no. You can't have it.
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 01:10:01 pm »

Sweet!  There's one of those running around town where I live.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 01:28:03 pm »

There is something to be said for owning a car that you can still tune up yourself....
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

rangerrebew

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 02:16:06 pm »
There is something to be said for owning a car that you can still tune up yourself....

Without a computer.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 10:38:06 pm »

Very Nice! In high school I had a 63 GT Hawk, R1, PowerShift, TT, until a nimrod in 65 Ranchero ran a red light at 45mph and T Boned me square in the driver's door. Had another just the same a few years ago but had to let it go when things went to shit. Have you ever made it to the Memorial Day La Palma Car Show? Good stuff, here's 2016 https://www.flickr.com/photos/124054617@N06/albums/72157666583666243/page1

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 10:43:26 pm »
My neighbor just got the new Jaguar SUV. I feel oppressed that  I don't have one too. Dear Government, please help me.

Offline ABX

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 10:45:01 pm »

Love it. I really, really, really have the bug to get something old that I can actually work on. An old Mustang, Jeep CJ, heck, even a VW Beetle. Just something to get my hands dirty.  My wife will kill me if I do that when we have twice as many cars than people in the house.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:45:28 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline ABX

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 10:47:59 pm »

One thing that you really can say about the Cubans, they have been innovative in keeping all those old 50s cars running with zero supply of parts. With probably the exception of Volvo, I doubt any new car will stand a chance surviving that long.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 01:35:13 am »
One thing that you really can say about the Cubans, they have been innovative in keeping all those old 50s cars running with zero supply of parts. With probably the exception of Volvo, I doubt any new car will stand a chance surviving that long.
In all fairness, though, it's a tropical environment (no winter, no salt on the roads) on a very small and isolated island. It's not like those old 50s cars are making long commutes every day.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 02:18:43 am »
Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends
Work all my life, get no help from my friends
Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?

Offline Dirt for sale

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 05:17:11 pm »
Cash for clunkers was murder. Ethanol is slow death. Self driving is where the vehicles have their revenge.
Most everyone drive around cars they don't own. If they're promising free cars that means private transportation is in the last crank of the vice.