Author Topic: An Open Letter to Mr. Khizr Khan  (Read 25937 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: An Open Letter to Mr. Khizr Khan
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2016, 03:58:07 pm »
    If we weren't talking about Trump, everyone on this forum would have agreed this father was using his son's death for nothing but politics.  But with the anti-Trump group, it's any port in a storm. 

If we weren't talking about Trump, the Democrats wouldn't be able to bring someone on stage praising the sacrifice of the military and discussing the Constitution- something barely mentioned in the RNC. Trump gave them a big opening for that. 

Trump has been dismantling the platforms that made Republicans, Republican, and giving the ammo to the Dems to return fire on us.

And to prove the point was also incorrect on its surface, the RNC had a parent who lost a son in a military conflict up on stage and we aren't saying she used it for politics- the biggest complaint is that Trump stole the cameras from her and went on to talk about himself while she was speaking.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 04:01:43 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2016, 04:10:09 pm »
Trump's problem was he fell for it, and could have responded by turning it back on the Clinton campaign.

Or he could have not responded.   The man has no unexpressed thoughts and no judgment.

And, frankly, to somehow blame Hillary for Khan's son's death is disingenuous.  You know better than that. 

But, Trumpism does that to people, even good people.

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2016, 04:11:48 pm »
The speaker made no reference to trump being responsible for his son's death. Rightly or wrongly, the speaker was taking to task the dishonoring of their son's religious faith by trump. Any other candidate would have just stayed quiet or responded without besmirching his wife and with just a little bit of class.

Problem is that Khan was using his son's death as a cover to go after Trump politically while endorsing Hillary.  Transitioning from talking about his son to denigrating Trump and emphasizing how Trump has never sacrificed anything, while praising Hillary who not only hasn't sacrificed anything or anyone either and who actually had some responsibility for his son's death says everything about the father and his values.  The anti-Trump group should at least admit that much.

As poorly though out as Trump's response was, the father's cheap use of his son's death was worse.   

It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2016, 04:16:45 pm »
Or he could have not responded.   The man has no unexpressed thoughts and no judgment.

And, frankly, to somehow blame Hillary for Khan's son's death is disingenuous.  You know better than that. 

But, Trumpism does that to people, even good people.

Trumpism?   :laugh:  I'm not going to get into a personal fight with you.  And I understand the reluctance here to say anything bad about Hillary.  I am a GOP supporter and will leave it at that. 

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2016, 04:17:01 pm »
As poorly though out as Trump's response was, the father's cheap use of his son's death was worse.   

It's standard practice these days

Benghazi victim's mother Patricia Smith gives emotional RNC speech while Donald Trump calls into 'O'Reilly Factor'

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/benghazi-victim-mother-patricia-smith-tearful-rnc-speech-article-1.2716345

Patricia Smith — a Benghazi victim’s mother — wept while blaming Hillary Clinton for her son’s 2012 death during the embassy attack and Donald Trump was not even listening.

The presumed Republican nominee called into the "O’Reilly Factor" to discuss the convention rather than tune into the staunch Trump supporter slam his Democratic opponent while breaking down in tears.

“I blame Hillary Clinton personally for the death of my son,” cried Smith, as sympathetic audience members wiped tears from their faces while watching her prime-time speech at the Cleveland, Ohio, convention.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2016, 04:21:52 pm »
Trumpism?   :laugh:  I'm not going to get into a personal fight with you.  And I understand the reluctance here to say anything bad about Hillary.  I am a GOP supporter and will leave it at that.

I'm not voting for Hillary.  And, yes, it is Trumpism to defend Trump when he goes after a Gold star parent.  Why do that, when Trump dragged Patricia Smith on stage at the GOP Convention to trash Hillary?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2016, 04:24:45 pm »
If we weren't talking about Trump, the Democrats wouldn't be able to bring someone on stage praising the sacrifice of the military and discussing the Constitution- something barely mentioned in the RNC. Trump gave them a big opening for that. 

Trump has been dismantling the platforms that made Republicans, Republican, and giving the ammo to the Dems to return fire on us.

And to prove the point was also incorrect on its surface, the RNC had a parent who lost a son in a military conflict up on stage and we aren't saying she used it for politics- the biggest complaint is that Trump stole the cameras from her and went on to talk about himself while she was speaking.

John Adams

A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever. Letter to Abigail Adams (17 July 1775)

Statesmen, my dear Sir, may plan and speculate for Liberty, but it is Religion and Morality alone, which can establish the Principles upon which Freedom can securely stand. The only foundation of a free Constitution is pure Virtue, and if this cannot be inspired into our People in a greater Measure than they have it now, They may change their Rulers and the forms of Government, but they will not obtain a lasting Liberty. They will only exchange Tyrants and Tyrannies. Letter to Zabdiel Adams (21 June 1776)

Posterity! you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom! I hope you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it. Letter to Abigail Adams (27 April 1777), published as Letter CXI in Letters of John Adams, Addressed to His Wife (1841) edited by Charles Francis Adams, p. 218

While our country remains untainted with the principles and manners which are now producing desolation in so many parts of the world; while she continues sincere, and incapable of insidious and impious policy, we shall have the strongest reason to rejoice in the local destination assigned us by Providence. But should the people of America once become capable of that deep simulation towards one another, and towards foreign nations, which assumes the language of justice and moderation, while it is practising iniquity and extravagance, and displays in the most captivating manner the charming pictures of candour, frankness, and sincerity, while it is rioting in rapine and insolence, this country will be the most miserable habitation in the world. Because we have no government, armed with power, capable of contending with human passions, unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. Oaths in this country are as yet universally considered as sacred obligations. That which you have taken, and so solemnly repeated on that venerable ground, is an ample pledge of your sincerity and devotion to your country and its government. Letter to the Officers of the First Brigade of the Third Division of the Militia of Massachusetts, 11 October 1798, in Revolutionary Services and Civil Life of General William Hull (New York, 1848), pp 265-6. There are some differences in the version that appeared in The Works of John Adams (Boston, 1854), vol. 9, pp. 228-9, most notably the words "or gallantry" instead of "and licentiousness".

“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but once they lose their virtue, they will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.”

– Samuel Adams

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost."   — John Quincy Adams (attributed to Adams, by his contemporaries)

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
— Benjamin Franklin (on the title page of An Historical Review of the Constitution and Government of Pennsylvania - 1759)

Elias Boudinot:
“ Be religiously careful in our choice of all public officers . . . and judge of the tree by its fruits.”

Founding Fathers Quotes

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between church and State.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to a Committee of the Danbury Baptist Association, Connecticut, January 1, 1802

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trump position is wrong.  We have a Constitution.  What is wrong in Europe is what is becoming wrong in America.  They have no go zones where they allow Sharia Law to exist.  Anywhere in America that allows Sharia Law to exist is the threat.  We already have terrorists living here.  We have cities that are fast becoming infestations of Islamic Law.  Shutting that down is abiding by the laws that already exist.  Constitutional law.  Sharia and the Constitution are not compatible.

Stop all refugee applications to the United States and restore Constitutional law. 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

HonestJohn

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2016, 04:26:20 pm »
It's standard practice these days

Benghazi victim's mother Patricia Smith gives emotional RNC speech while Donald Trump calls into 'O'Reilly Factor'

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/benghazi-victim-mother-patricia-smith-tearful-rnc-speech-article-1.2716345

Patricia Smith — a Benghazi victim’s mother — wept while blaming Hillary Clinton for her son’s 2012 death during the embassy attack and Donald Trump was not even listening.

The presumed Republican nominee called into the "O’Reilly Factor" to discuss the convention rather than tune into the staunch Trump supporter slam his Democratic opponent while breaking down in tears.

“I blame Hillary Clinton personally for the death of my son,” cried Smith, as sympathetic audience members wiped tears from their faces while watching her prime-time speech at the Cleveland, Ohio, convention.

It's telling that Trump supporters would think nothing of smearing Patricia Smith, a Benghazi victim’s mother, for speaking about her child's death at the RNC convention.  Who agree that it would be right for Hillary to attack her for doing so.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 04:28:26 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2016, 04:30:46 pm »
Problem is that Khan was using his son's death as a cover to go after Trump politically while endorsing Hillary.

Exactly...that's why he was invited to speak in the first place...that was his goal.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2016, 04:41:35 pm »
In a surprise weekend vote, the city council of Dearborn, Michigan voted 4-3 to became the first US city to officially implement all aspects of Sharia Law.  The tough new law, slated to go into effect January 1st, addresses secular law including crime, politics and economics as well as personal matters such as sexual intercourse, fasting, prayer, diet and hygiene.

The new law could see citizens stoned for adultery or having a limb amputated for theft. Lesser offenses, such as drinking alcohol or abortion, could result in flogging and/or caning. In addition, the law imposes harsh laws with regards to women and allows for child marriage.

Some in town seem to welcome the new legislation while others have denounced the move as “abhorrent”, a threat to freedom and incompatible with the Constitution.  When asked by National Report about the need for such a law, local resident Jeremy Ahmed stated:

“It is because of our need that Allah the Almighty, in all his generosity, has created laws for us, so that we can utilize them to obtain justice. We hope to see other cities taking this action in the face of the governments inaction of passing such legislation”.

Other local residents have taken to social media sites with comments ranging from “praise be to Allah” and “long live Islam” to “RIP Dearborn” and “Only in Obama’s America would an American city consider Sharia Law”.

The city of Dearborn is a well-known safe haven for Muslims and Muslim sympathizers. With a population of around 98 thousand people, roughly 30% of its residence are Muslims making them the largest concentration of Muslims in the United States.

The dangers of Sharia Law in America were first outlined in a 2010 study produced by the Center for Security Policy (CSP) titled “Sharia: The Threat to America“, a 352-page book based on authoritative sources of Islamic law. While sharia includes strict rules for prayer and fasting, it is also an all-encompassing legal and political code that covers all aspects of life including those that have nothing to do with religion.

http://nationalreport.net/city-michigan-first-fully-implement-sharia-law/

Has Trump ever addressed restoring Constitutional law?  His Muslim ban is a call to terrorists all over to recruit more people to extremism.  Hillary said it and I have to agree.  I hate Hillary but she is right.  The Muslim ban rhetoric is a call to extremists.

And did you know that Trump won the primary in Dearborn Michigan?

http://theweek.com/speedreads/611497/dearborn-arabamerican-city-just-voted-donald-trump-jewish-candidate-bernie-sanders
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2016, 04:47:08 pm »
I'm not voting for Hillary.  And, yes, it is Trumpism to defend Trump when he goes after a Gold star parent.  Why do that, when Trump dragged Patricia Smith on stage at the GOP Convention to trash Hillary?

At least get it straight.  I said several times now that Trump's comments were ill-advised and not well thought out.  But it is interesting that you go after Trump for the Patricia Smith speech having everything to do with Hillary--Benghazi, but refuse to acknowledge that the Khan speech was simply a political diatribe using his son as a prop.  At least with the Smith speech, there was linkage.  There was none with the Khan speech.  I understand how you feel about Trump, but you can't have it both ways.  Acknowledging what the Khan speech really was is not defending Trump's reaction.  It's okay to criticize Trump's words and at the same time criticize Hillary for her political use of a dead soldier.  You won't be thrown out of the #neverTrump club.   :laugh:

geronl

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2016, 04:51:41 pm »

Trump has an "interesting" take on the First Amendment.

Anyone who has been paying attention would already know that Trump does not support the first amendment

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2016, 04:55:57 pm »
Anyone who has been paying attention would already know that Trump does not support the first amendment

He doesn't and it is a calling card for extremists.  If you break the Constitution you open the door for oppression, tyranny and extremism.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2016, 05:04:33 pm »

Likewise, if one posts this; one also acknowledges that Mr. Trump has not sent any soldiers to their deaths.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2016, 05:07:31 pm »

Good, will take note that one doesn't have a right to defend themselves when attacked in front of millions of people.

Er, the objection is to Trump speaking and defending himself? While saying he is against the first amendment?

Thus is the reasoning of so many criticizing Trump, just like the "30,000 emails missing" remark in regards to Russia, it was all puffed up into something it was not.

This is the media's doing.

You can't make this up.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2016, 05:08:43 pm »
He doesn't and it is a calling card for extremists.  If you break the Constitution you open the door for oppression, tyranny and extremism.

Sounds like Mr. Trump is the one's whose right to free speech is being disrespected.

Oh, I forgot, now we are not standing up for 1st amendment rights.

Offline ABX

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2016, 05:14:09 pm »
Sounds like Mr. Trump is the one's whose right to free speech is being disrespected.

Oh, I forgot, now we are not standing up for 1st amendment rights.

The first amendment doesn't protect you from perceived disrespect of your speech.

Trump like Hillary have both called for overt, government interference of opposing speech. That has nothing to do with respect or a right to respond.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 05:16:32 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2016, 05:15:03 pm »
Good, will take note that one doesn't have a right to defend themselves when attacked in front of millions of people.

Er, the objection is to Trump speaking and defending himself? While saying he is against the first amendment?

Thus is the reasoning of so many criticizing Trump, just like the "30,000 emails missing" remark in regards to Russia, it was all puffed up into something it was not.

This is the media's doing.

You can't make this up.

If that's what you call defending yourself your nuts.  Hillary scored.  The response is a negative to all.  Hillary found a family that didn't fit Trumps mold of Islam and Trump took the bait.  His policies will do nothing to stop what already exists in America.  Do you know how many Muslims live in America?  Trump is only causing Muslims to embrace extremism by offending them.

What we should do is focus on making sure that Sharia Law gets a clear message of not welcome.  Because we already have to laws to assure that extremism doesn't exist.  It is religious freedom for all.  Limited only by the freedom of all.  We need a Constitutional candidate.  Not a fear mongering idiot.

Muslims are ANGRY at Texas Mayor After She Stops “Sharia Court”… Here Is Her EPIC Response!

Read more: http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/muslims-are-angry-at-texas-mayor-after-she-stops-sharia-court-here-is-her-epic-response/#ixzz4G0Um6mHY

Offline ABX

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2016, 05:41:22 pm »
As a reminder, here is how an adult responds in a similar situation-- Bush to Cindy Sheehan, http://www.editorandpublisher.com/news/bush-responds-to-sheehan-protest-in-weekly-radio-address/

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2016, 05:45:41 pm »
Exactly...that's why he was invited to speak in the first place...that was his goal.

Funny that the same people who now refuse to even acknowledge this issue with Kahn went after Cindy Sheehan, also a Gold Star parent, with a vengeance...as did I.  And one doesn't have to be a so-called "trumpist" to see both as political activists willing to use their dead son as a prop for political purposes.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2016, 05:55:37 pm »
Funny that the same people who now refuse to even acknowledge this issue with Kahn went after Cindy Sheehan, also a Gold Star parent, with a vengeance...as did I.  And one doesn't have to be a so-called "trumpist" to see both as political activists willing to use their dead son as a prop for political purposes.

I have enormous sympathy for the Kahn family..thereby the Grace of God go I....but we all know he was a willing participant to try to embarrass Trump and it seemed to work by Trump's responses...he just can't find the right words like Bush did re Cindy Sheehan referenced above....let it go Trump
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2016, 06:11:55 pm »
With all is faults I admire Bush and the respect he gave to the office.

PS I better be careful, our ex President is on the hit list of many, even though he has always shown class and dignity, even in the face of withering criticism.

Actually, I don't think you need to be careful.  The dignity, class, respect, and love for the troops that President Bush always had (and still does), deserves mention when we see the polar opposite....... the vulgar, undignified, self-absorbed nonsense emanating from the undisciplined mouth of Donald J. Trump.

I may not be in the majority here, but I still miss him...... especially when I think of the drastic differences between him and this buffoon we are supposed to vote for to be Commander in Chief.    **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2016, 06:17:10 pm »

If we weren't talking about Trump, everyone on this forum would have agreed this father was using his son's death for nothing but politics.  But with the anti-Trump group, it's any port in a storm.

If Donald Trump hadn't stupidly attacked the soldier's mother, this wouldn't be an issue.

It's just one more indication that Trump is lacking the character and discipline needed to be President.

He behaves as an elementary school student taunted on the playground, and not a grown man who can deal with serious issues.

If you would look objectively at what Trump actually said, instead of jumping to attack those who are offended by it, you might start to understand how significant his diarrhea of the mouth really is.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2016, 07:39:35 pm »
I have enormous sympathy for the Kahn family..thereby the Grace of God go I....but we all know he was a willing participant to try to embarrass Trump and it seemed to work by Trump's responses...he just can't find the right words like Bush did re Cindy Sheehan referenced above....let it go Trump

Indeed. 

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2016, 08:33:46 pm »
Trump is far more likely to address the Sharia threat and its related symbols than Hamas Huma .

We may feel that some of Trump's rhetoric is a bit gauche, but he is addressing the larger issue of Sharia.

Instead of constant euphemisms like 'workplace violence'

In a surprise weekend vote, the city council of Dearborn, Michigan voted 4-3 to became the first US city to officially implement all aspects of Sharia Law.  The tough new law, slated to go into effect January 1st, addresses secular law including crime, politics and economics as well as personal matters such as sexual intercourse, fasting, prayer, diet and hygiene.

The new law could see citizens stoned for adultery or having a limb amputated for theft. Lesser offenses, such as drinking alcohol or abortion, could result in flogging and/or caning. In addition, the law imposes harsh laws with regards to women and allows for child marriage.

Some in town seem to welcome the new legislation while others have denounced the move as “abhorrent”, a threat to freedom and incompatible with the Constitution.  When asked by National Report about the need for such a law, local resident Jeremy Ahmed stated:

“It is because of our need that Allah the Almighty, in all his generosity, has created laws for us, so that we can utilize them to obtain justice. We hope to see other cities taking this action in the face of the governments inaction of passing such legislation”.

Other local residents have taken to social media sites with comments ranging from “praise be to Allah” and “long live Islam” to “RIP Dearborn” and “Only in Obama’s America would an American city consider Sharia Law”.

The city of Dearborn is a well-known safe haven for Muslims and Muslim sympathizers. With a population of around 98 thousand people, roughly 30% of its residence are Muslims making them the largest concentration of Muslims in the United States.

The dangers of Sharia Law in America were first outlined in a 2010 study produced by the Center for Security Policy (CSP) titled “Sharia: The Threat to America“, a 352-page book based on authoritative sources of Islamic law. While sharia includes strict rules for prayer and fasting, it is also an all-encompassing legal and political code that covers all aspects of life including those that have nothing to do with religion.

http://nationalreport.net/city-michigan-first-fully-implement-sharia-law/

Has Trump ever addressed restoring Constitutional law?  His Muslim ban is a call to terrorists all over to recruit more people to extremism.  Hillary said it and I have to agree.  I hate Hillary but she is right.  The Muslim ban rhetoric is a call to extremists.

And did you know that Trump won the primary in Dearborn Michigan?

http://theweek.com/speedreads/611497/dearborn-arabamerican-city-just-voted-donald-trump-jewish-candidate-bernie-sanders
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?