Author Topic: Bill would prevent LGBT discrimination at religious schools (California)  (Read 800 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Darcy Costello
AP via The Sacramento Bee
July 30, 2016

The conflict between religious freedom and gay rights has a new battleground — California's religious colleges and universities.

A bill moving through the Legislature would remove a longstanding exemption from anti-discrimination laws for religious institutions, potentially exposing the schools to civil rights lawsuits from students and employees.
Read the whole thing.

California Ping

Please click here to be added to or removed from the California Ping List.  ^-^

@American Patriot
@bootless
@flowers
@Ginger Republic
@GtHawk
@Half Vast Conspiracy
@Machiavelli
@Meshuge Mikey
@Mr McBeevee
@pogo101
@skeeter
@SZonian
@The Jackal
@truth_seeker

Offline skeeter

All branches of the California government have already shown how they feel about the Constitution - its no longer operational. Is there any doubt how they'll rule in this case, too?

Offline The Jackal

• #nevertrump
Well, according to some individuals over here (http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,218221.0.html) mentally masturbating while sitting on the deck chairs of the Titanic, as long as the duly elected California legislature passes such a bill then they are within their rights to do so. After all,  "You don't have the right to discriminate based on your religious beliefs, because that would make you law unto yourself. Period." /s

@Luis Gonzalez

This is a common theme with the atheist libertarian/liberal mindset. Their understanding of freedom of religion is the same as the Chinese. As long as you 'home-church' everything will be fine. Keep it to yourself. As soon as you step outside that's "my territory" and I will not allow religious worship and acts based on religious influence to be perpetuated in the public square.

That's why they have no problem with forcing religious colleges to accept employees and students contrary to their faith
That's why they have no problem with forcing religious hospitals to perform abortions.

HonestJohn

Your religious freedoms end where another's religious freedoms begin.  And vice versa.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Well, according to some individuals over here (http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,218221.0.html) mentally masturbating while sitting on the deck chairs of the Titanic, as long as the duly elected California legislature passes such a bill then they are within their rights to do so. After all,  "You don't have the right to discriminate based on your religious beliefs, because that would make you law unto yourself. Period." /s

@Luis Gonzalez

This is a common theme with the atheist libertarian/liberal mindset. Their understanding of freedom of religion is the same as the Chinese. As long as you 'home-church' everything will be fine. Keep it to yourself. As soon as you step outside that's "my territory" and I will not allow religious worship and acts based on religious influence to be perpetuated in the public square.

That's why they have no problem with forcing religious colleges to accept employees and students contrary to their faith
That's why they have no problem with forcing religious hospitals to perform abortions.

I have no problem with being quoted, but in the name of full disclosure, that was said by Antonin Scalia, not me.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
It's California, folks.

Fuhgeddaboutit.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

@Luis Gonzalez

I guess that you consider Antonin Scalia to have been of an "atheist/libertarian liberal mindset" since those words you paraphrased are his.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx