Author Topic: Daredevil to attempt jumping out of plane at 25,000 feet without a parachute  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/29/daredevil-to-attempt-jumping-out-plane-at-25000-feet-without-parachute.html

He's made 18,000 parachute jumps, helped train some of the world's most elite skydivers, done some of the stunts for "Ironman 3." But the plunge Luke Aikins knows he'll be remembered for is the one he's making without a parachute. Or a wingsuit.

Or anything, really, other than the clothes he'll be wearing when he jumps out of an airplane at 25,000 feet this weekend, attempting to become the first person to land safely on the ground in a net.

The Fox network will broadcast the two-minute jump live at 8 p.m. EDT (5 p.m. PDT) Saturday as part of an hour-long TV special called "Heaven Sent."

I'm not sure I want to watch this.  :shrug:
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Idiot

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I've seen a safe landing with a wingsuit but they at least have a measurable glide ratio.

I can drop water balloons off the roof and see where this is going.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
What a selfish man.  He has a 4 yr old child he's NOT thinking about.

I'll only watch it if he succeeds.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
The net he is “hoping” to land in is 10,000-square-ft. and 200 vertical ft. off the ground but the actual sweet spot is only 28-foot-by-28-foot square. Granted I know nothing about skydiving but that seems like a pretty tiny target to hit from a 25,000 ft. free fall not to mention without a wing suit for steering to the landing spot.

http://www.outsideonline.com/2099906/how-survive-25000-foot-freefall-without-parachute

The guy is evidently quite an experienced skydiver and I hope he makes it but…….geez

So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline mrclose

Have your audio on!

Absolutely Amazing!

LOS ANGELES — Skydiver Luke Aikins has become the first person to jump from a plane into a net on the ground without the benefit of a parachute.

Aikins hit the 100-by-100-foot net perfectly, quickly climbed out of it and walked over to hug his wife, who had been watching with other family members.

Just before climbing into a plane to make the jump, Aikins said he had been ordered to wear a parachute but indicated he wouldn’t open it.

As the plane was climbing to 25,000 feet above the drop zone he said the requirement had been lifted and he took off the chute.

He fell for about two minutes, then flipped onto his back at the last second and landed perfectly to cheers from those gathered to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8j0YFzmqWc#t=145

"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Idiot

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
That was insane!
Apparently they pulled the video...bummer.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Idiot

Apparently they pulled the video...bummer.

I bet posting it to youtube wasn't part of his contract...lol.

Still pretty amazing.  Talk about threading the needle.  The bad part is he'll probably want to try it again, with a twist of course.