Author Topic: Roe vs. Wade will be overturned if Donald Trump wins, Mike Pence says  (Read 7337 times)

Online Hoodat

Re: Roe vs. Wade will be overturned if Donald Trump wins, Mike Pence says
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2016, 06:20:58 am »
To overturn a right found by SCOTUS in the Constitution requires an amendment to the Constitution.

If SCOTUS is already ignoring the Constitution as written, then what makes you think they will pay any attention to a new Amendment?

Here is what the Constitution says.  From the beginning, Congress has had the authority to set the law nationally on abortion.  Their failure to do so means that it is then left up to the States.

SCOTUS comes along, completely ignores the Constitution (overriding Amendment X) and declares that States have no rights (or Congress for that matter) through the arbitrary 24th week, after which States can regulate all they want.

Of course since then, court after court has reveled in their new power to write law and has overrode part of Roe by extending their previous declaration long after the 24th week.

Conspicuously absent from each and every one of these rulings is any Constitutional basis for them.  The courts have essentially balled up the Constitution and thrown it in the trash.  So any attempt to amend means that someone will have to put their hand down into that waste basket, pull out that ball of paper, unball it, take that new Amendment, staple it to the wrinkled paper, ball it all back up together, and put it back in the waste basket.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline WAC

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2016, 06:23:56 am »
Mike Pence actually said was.....(IF) we appoint strict constructionists to the Supreme Court of the U.S.; as Donald Trump intends to do, I BELIEVE Roe vs. Wade will be consigned to the ash heap of history where it belongs.”

Online Hoodat

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2016, 06:45:10 am »
Since Donald Trump espouses views on government that contradict our Constitution, I cannot think of a single plausible reason why Trump would nominate a constructionist for the Supreme Court.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2016, 03:11:02 pm »
Since Donald Trump espouses views on government that contradict our Constitution, I cannot think of a single plausible reason why Trump would nominate a constructionist for the Supreme Court.
We've been told time and time again that his Royal Donaldness doesn't think in traditional political terms. Why should we think he knows jack about the Constitution? Every time he messes up its due his 'inexperience'.

Donald Trump probably thinks constructionist are the foreign workers he hires to pave widows backyards into parking lots.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Online Hoodat

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2016, 04:40:23 pm »
Donald Trump probably thinks constructionist are the foreign workers he hires to pave widows backyards into parking lots.

I'm gonna have to start calling you 'Gar'.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mlizzy

• Rosary for Peace
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2016, 05:08:55 pm »
A [political] pro-life friend of mine sent this link to me, and while I don't have audio, I can pretty much figure out what she is saying. [Edit: Husband just listened; the s-i-l said Trump would be a blessing. Bad on that, but the rest is fine.] 

https://www.facebook.com/IamWholeLife18/videos/vb.509481567/10153555081476568/?type=2&theater

Last week at the GOP convention I spied Catholic prayer cards in a lady's purse. Me being me I turned the camera on and began to interview her about what cards she had in her purse. It turns out she is the sister-in-law of Mike Pence. I am always skeptical of politicians who wear their faith on their sleave. But I don't doubt the faith of someone who has it tucked in their wallet :D -Jason Jones
Maybe Mike Pence is a gift to us [a thread of hope]. He certainly does stand up for the babies and their mothers.

Dear saints in heaven, please pray for US.

http://rosaryforpeace.com

« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 07:47:46 pm by mlizzy »
America needs no words from me to see how your decision in Roe v. Wade has deformed a great nation. The so-called right to abortion has pitted mothers against their children and women against men. Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being's entitlement by virtue of his humanity. The right to life does not depend, and must not be declared to be contingent, on the pleasure of anyone else, not even a parent or a sovereign. -Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Offline Just_Victor

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2016, 08:05:43 pm »

Just wow!
I am amazed at the number of 'conservatives' who would hush up about abortion there, but really, I like this one:

To: Byron_the_Aussie

I am starting to wonder if Free Republic has been hijacked by insane millennials based on the sheer panic going on here.

>snip<
122 posted on 7/28/2016, 10:00:35 PM by Flavious_Maximus

Well, ban the class of '98, have subsequent classes leave or get banned as well, and wonder if there aren't a bunch of newer folks there commenting now? It's funny.  :silly:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 08:06:58 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline aligncare

« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2016, 08:08:16 pm »
Mike Pence actually said was.....(IF) we appoint strict constructionists to the Supreme Court of the U.S.; as Donald Trump intends to do, I BELIEVE Roe vs. Wade will be consigned to the ash heap of history where it belongs.”

It's tiring dealing with all the lies they tell, isn't it?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2016, 08:11:32 pm »
By the way, Barack Obama agrees with all your criticisms of Mr. Trump and he'd like to thank you all personally for your support of the official democratic position on Donald Trump.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2016, 08:12:36 pm »
It's tiring dealing with all the lies they tell, isn't it?
Well, that depends on what the meaning of isn't isn't. Or something like that.

Carefully parsed words do not promises make.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2016, 08:14:22 pm »
By the way, Barack Obama agrees with all your criticisms of Mr. Trump and he'd like to thank you all personally for your support of the official democratic position on Donald Trump.
No kidding? A million monkeys typing on a million typewriters for a million years can produce one of Shakespeare's sonnets, but I NEVER thought Obama and I would agree on anything. Just wow.

C S Lewis

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2016, 08:16:25 pm »

There will be fewer abortions with Trump/Pence in the WH.
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2016, 08:20:07 pm »
There will be fewer abortions with Trump/Pence in the WH.

Ok, I'll bite...how will there be fewer abortions under a President Trump?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2016, 08:21:27 pm »
Must be so tiring for the tumpets to constantly have to defend the indefensible To constantly have to explain what DT really meant, what he really said, and then  lie with a straight face when DT's lies are exposed for all to see.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2016, 08:30:18 pm »
I have not heard Obama say Trump is part of the Clinton Machine.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2016, 08:33:02 pm »

Supreme Court nominations.

Regulations and funding sources for another thing.  Abortions were well over 1.2 million then came down to 730K per year from memory.  Regulations such as being near a hospital or enforcing surgical cleanliness shut them down in states like Texas.

Of course the courts have struck back stating that these regulations were an 'undue burden'

But lower federal courts appointees matter too.

Then there is the matter of prosecutorial discretion in going after the trafficking in body parts.   Not happening under this regime...

Finally, funding.  The fed government can also build bunches of more high end clinics with our dollars.

I know saying anything positive about Trump/Pence is unpopular, but this is honest analysis of the situation. 

« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 08:34:38 pm by LonestarDream »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2016, 08:34:36 pm »
Trump will tell his mate Epstein to cut it out for a couple years.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2016, 08:46:00 pm »
Results: A total of 699,202 abortions were reported to CDC for 2012. Of these abortions, 98.4% were from the 47 reporting areas that provided data every year during 2003–2012. Among these same 47 reporting areas, the abortion rate for 2012 was 13.2 abortions per 1,000 women aged 15–44 years, and the abortion ratio was 210 abortions per 1,000 live births. From 2011 to 2012, the total number and ratio of reported abortions decreased 4% and the abortion rate decreased 5%. From 2003 to 2012, the total number, rate, and ratio of reported abortions decreased 17%, 18%, and 14%, respectively, and reached their lowest level in 2012 for the entire period of analysis (2003–2012).

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss6410a1.htm?s_cid=ss6410a1_e

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2016, 09:07:51 pm »
Results: A total of 699,202 abortions were reported to CDC for 2012. Of these abortions, 98.4% were from the 47 reporting areas that provided data every year during 2003–2012. Among these same 47 reporting areas, the abortion rate for 2012 was 13.2 abortions per 1,000 women aged 15–44 years, and the abortion ratio was 210 abortions per 1,000 live births. From 2011 to 2012, the total number and ratio of reported abortions decreased 4% and the abortion rate decreased 5%. From 2003 to 2012, the total number, rate, and ratio of reported abortions decreased 17%, 18%, and 14%, respectively, and reached their lowest level in 2012 for the entire period of analysis (2003–2012).

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss6410a1.htm?s_cid=ss6410a1_e

Good info, thanks.  However, I don't see Roe being overturned, even if Trump does what he said he'd do.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline chae

« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2016, 09:08:07 pm »
Really?
The hardcore Trump supporters like Coulter would be fine with him performing abortions himself in the Oval...

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2016, 09:09:39 pm »
Good info, thanks.  However, I don't see Roe being overturned, even if Trump does what he said he'd do.

Roe is not listed above.  That is precisely the point.  There are MANY other levers that have been pulled to lower actual abortion rates in recent years....

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2016, 09:10:24 pm »
He'll ban sex.

C S Lewis

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...

Online Hoodat

« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2016, 12:32:13 am »
Then there is the matter of prosecutorial discretion in going after the trafficking in body parts.   Not happening under this regime...

I just want to point out what happened in the wake of the discovery of Planned Parenthood selling body parts.  For the first time in my lifetime, Republicans were vocally united in cutting off federal funding for Planned Parenthood - united except for one Donald Trump who came to their defense citing all the "wonderful" things that they do.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-