Author Topic: Merkel maintains refugee position but vows stronger security  (Read 369 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
She isn't backing down, unfortunately. This has been in the news today. So, she wants to keep on admitting the same number of refugees?

Merkel maintains refugee position but vows stronger security

Germany will remain open to refugees but will do "everything humanly possible" to ensure security, Chancellor Angela Merkel vowed Thursday, as she defended her migration policy while reassuring a country shaken by a series of attacks.

Merkel said that only by "sticking to its principles" could Germany overcome the major test it is facing after four violent attacks since July 18, three of which were committed by registered asylum seekers.

She described the attacks as "shocking and depressing," and said that the perpetrators had mocked Germany by posing as refugees. But her government would not rescind its offer of refuge to those fleeing war and conflict, she added.

"I am just as convinced today as I was before that we can do it - we can live up to our historical responsibility," Merkel said, reiterating her mantra that Germany can integrate the 1.1 million refugees who arrived in the country in 2015.

She outlined a nine-point security plan, which she said includes a lower threshold for the deportation of failed asylum seekers, an "early warning system" for radicalization among refugees and the deployment of soldiers in domestic counterterrorism operations.

Continued:http://www.albawaba.com/news/merkel-maintains-refugee-position-vows-stronger-security-867306

geronl

Re: Merkel maintains refugee position but vows stronger security
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 03:51:52 am »
I knew she would double down