Author Topic: Inside Trump’s financial ties to Russia and his unusual flattery of Vladimir Putin  (Read 597 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Just because this morning, Trump denied having any business ties to Russia, a bit of a reminder for him.

....“Russians make up a pretty disproportionate cross-section of a lot of our assets,” Trump’s son, Donald Jr., told a real estate conference in 2008, according to an account posted on the website of eTurboNews, a trade publication. “We see a lot of money pouring in from Russia.”.....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/inside-trumps-financial-ties-to-russia-and-his-unusual-flattery-of-vladimir-putin/2016/06/17/dbdcaac8-31a6-11e6-8ff7-7b6c1998b7a0_story.html

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Just because this morning, Trump denied having any business ties to Russia, a bit of a reminder for him.

Again bears repeating form Trump's mouth recently concerning his connection to the wikileaks dnc leak...

"I don't know anything about it. I can tell you, I think if I came up with that, they'd say, 'Oh, it's a conspiracy theory,' it's ridiculous. I mean I have nothing to do with Russia. I don't have any jobs in Russia. I'm all over the world but we're not involved in Russia."
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline ABX

He even repeated the lie on Twitter yesterday.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">For the record, I have ZERO investments in Russia.</p>— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump)

July 26, 2016

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Donny needs to understand that there is a world of internet information available outside Twitter. Why lie about something that is so easily refuted???
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline ABX

Donald Trump Planning Skyscraper in Moscow

U.S. tycoon Donald Trump, while in Moscow for the finale of his Miss Universe pageant Saturday, announced that he was planning to build a skyscraper in the Russian capital.

"I have plans to start business in Russia," Trump said, Itar-Tass reported, "I am currently in talks with several Russian companies to build a skyscraper on the model of Trump Tower in New York." The businessman did not name his partners or the size of the investment.

https://themoscowtimes.com/articles/donald-trump-planning-skyscraper-in-moscow-29441

November 2013 is not that long ago in the context of projects like this.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Donny needs to understand that there is a world of internet information available outside Twitter. Why lie about something that is so easily refuted???

Not saying this is true.....  but

I am sure Trump realizes that colluding with foreign governments to impact an American election is a treasonous offense.  At least the orange suit would match his face.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

How do we know he's lying?  The only evidence I've seen is a statement from 8 years ago regarding assets in Russia, and a statement from 2013 that he had "plans" to start a business in Russia.  No confirmation that it ever went anywhere, though.

Maybe he is lying, but nothing offered so far is even close to proving it.

Offline ABX

Offline ABX

How do we know he's lying?  The only evidence I've seen is a statement from 8 years ago regarding assets in Russia, and a statement from 2013 that he had "plans" to start a business in Russia.  No confirmation that it ever went anywhere, though.

Maybe he is lying, but nothing offered so far is even close to proving it.

Maybe that is why he is hiding his tax returns?   However, I'm not done yet. Now the question becomes, what investments in 2008 was he bragging about and did he divest those? 

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Maybe that is why he is hiding his tax returns?   However, I'm not done yet. Now the question becomes, what investments in 2008 was he bragging about and did he divest those?

But that's a question, not a fact.  And I have no idea -- maybe they're still there and he's lying, maybe he sold them, etc..

I'm not defending the guy for not releasing his returns -- he should.  I'm just saying that we don't know that he's lying about having no investments in Russia.

geronl

and Russia was the only part of the platform the Trump scampaign was interested in changing apparently

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
and Russia was the only part of the platform the Trump scampaign was interested in changing apparently

Trump apologist here have gotten quiet haven't they?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

I want to add that Trump is the worst sort of braggart -- truly annoying.   While it is no secret that he's wanted to build a Trump Tower in Russia, all we've ever heard about are "plans" or "intentions".  Never actually heard of a deal being struck, ground being broken, or anything of the sort.  And considering his proclivities for bragging, I'd find it a bit odd that there wouldn't have been any public mention of this -- prior to him running for office -- if it was really happening.

What I personally suspect -- thought that's all it is -- is that he does indeed want to build one there, and it may well happen if he loses the election.  There may be documents, etc., showing that he's had consultations/analyses done to that effect.  In other words, he's strongly considering a major Russian investment, perhaps even talked to Putin about it, but it hasn't happened yet.  Else, the paper trail/leaks would already have come out.

That still suggests that he'd have a pro-Russian bias, although assuming he does the usual "blind-trust" thing, it's not really a negative if he wins.  I suspect that any such plans would only come about if he were to lose.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 03:39:14 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline RedHead

Trump was on TV saying they have no investment in Russia.  So who is lying?

geronl

Trump was on TV saying they have no investment in Russia.  So who is lying?

Did he also say there was no Russian investment in him or his companies?

Offline ABX

That's where he is playing the semantic game. he may not have a registered business in Russia, but he bragged in the past about how much money is coming in from Russia (ie investors). He is pulling a Clinton 'is is' game.

geronl

although assuming he does the usual "blind-trust" thing, it's not really a negative if he wins.  I suspect that any such plans would only come about if he were to lose.

He has already said there will be no blind trust.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

That's entirely possible.  I think at least one of his major companies is publicly traded, so anyone can invest in it.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

He has already said there will be no blind trust.

Yeah, I suppose that's a tough one -- we haven't previously had a President who owns/runs a major operating company, and he's got kids who are running it.  I lean towards the blind trust idea, but what would that mean in this case?  Completely selling the company?