Author Topic: U.S. Hits Record 129 Months Since Last Major Hurricane Strike  (Read 443 times)

rangerrebew

U.S. Hits Record 129 Months Since Last Major Hurricane Strike
By Barbara Hollingsworth | July 25, 2016 | 8:17 AM EDT
Satellite view of Hurricane Wilma, the last major hurricane to strike the U.S., in October 2005. (NASA)

(CNSNews.com) – No major hurricane has made landfall in the continental United States for a record-breaking 129 months, according to data going back to 1851 compiled by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

The last major hurricane to make landfall on the continental United States was Hurricane Wilma, which slammed into Florida on Oct. 24, 2005--129 months ago.

The 2016 hurricane season--which officially opened on June 1 and ends on November 30--is expected to be “near normal”, with more hurricane activity than last year’s “below normal” season.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/barbara-hollingsworth/us-hits-record-129-months-last-major-hurricane-strike
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 09:26:25 pm by rangerrebew »

Wingnut

Re: U.S. Hits Record 129 Months Since Last Major Hurricane Strike
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 09:28:59 pm »
The climate change nazi's have been just besides themselves over this natural occurance.

Offline beandog

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 01:56:05 am »
U.S. Hits Record 129 Months Since Last Major Hurricane Strike
By Barbara Hollingsworth | July 25, 2016 | 8:17 AM EDT
Satellite view of Hurricane Wilma, the last major hurricane to strike the U.S., in October 2005. (NASA)

(CNSNews.com) – No major hurricane has made landfall in the continental United States for a record-breaking 129 months, according to data going back to 1851 compiled by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

The last major hurricane to make landfall on the continental United States was Hurricane Wilma, which slammed into Florida on Oct. 24, 2005--129 months ago.

The 2016 hurricane season--which officially opened on June 1 and ends on November 30--is expected to be “near normal”, with more hurricane activity than last year’s “below normal” season.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/barbara-hollingsworth/us-hits-record-129-months-last-major-hurricane-strike

Since I moved to Long Beach, MS last year I am daily hoping that the hurricanes stay away forever.  My street still has tons of empty lots from homes that were destroyed during Katrina.  It just costs to much to build and insurance around here is a killer.  My home was lucky, the water came up to the garage and stopped.  People just across the street from me had four feet of water.  I often wonder exactly what I was thinking moving here.  Doesn't seem to bother most people around here though.  I guess, like giving birth, you forget after a while.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 02:03:03 am »
The climate change nazi's have been just besides themselves over this natural occurance.
Obama did promise that he'd stop the oceans from rising...

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 01:18:11 pm »

I understand they mean a numerical rating at the time of landfall.  Still I think the 195 dead along with those of us living in the Houston-Galveston area on September 13, 2008 would disagree.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Seven-things-you-probably-forgot-about-the-impact-6502194.php#photo-1156671

Hurricane Ike is the third costliest storm in U.S. history, after Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and Tropical Storm Sandy in 2012. Damage in Texas alone totaled approximately $29.5 billion.

It made landfall on the eastern end of Galveston Island at 2:10 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 13, with sustained winds of 110 mph, according to the National Weather Service.

It's girth -- hurricane force winds spanned 120 miles and tropical storm force winds covered a 275-mile range -- made for epic storm surge with 10- to 13-foot water levels along Galveston Island and 13- to 17-foot flooding on the Bolivar Peninsula. Water rose up to 20 feet in parts of Chambers County, the National Weather Service reported.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 01:23:43 pm »
I understand they mean a numerical rating at the time of landfall.  Still I think the 195 dead along with those of us living in the Houston-Galveston area on September 13, 2008 would disagree.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Seven-things-you-probably-forgot-about-the-impact-6502194.php#photo-1156671

Hurricane Ike is the third costliest storm in U.S. history, after Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and Tropical Storm Sandy in 2012. Damage in Texas alone totaled approximately $29.5 billion.

It made landfall on the eastern end of Galveston Island at 2:10 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 13, with sustained winds of 110 mph, according to the National Weather Service.

It's girth -- hurricane force winds spanned 120 miles and tropical storm force winds covered a 275-mile range -- made for epic storm surge with 10- to 13-foot water levels along Galveston Island and 13- to 17-foot flooding on the Bolivar Peninsula. Water rose up to 20 feet in parts of Chambers County, the National Weather Service reported.

I thought I read that the National Hurricane Center had reclassified Ike as a cat 3 storm.  The winds were borderline cat 2-3 but the storm surge was well into the cat 4 range.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 01:51:59 pm »

I thought I read that the National Hurricane Center had reclassified Ike as a cat 3 storm.  The winds were borderline cat 2-3 but the storm surge was well into the cat 4 range.

Cat 2 on winds at 110 mph, 111 mph would have been Cat 3. (Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale)  Note that was at landfall, earlier it was at 145 mph, Cat 4.

Saffir gave the scale to the NHC, and Simpson added the effects of storm surge and flooding.  In 2009, the NHC made moves to eliminate pressure and storm surge ranges from the categories, transforming it into a pure wind scale, called the Saffir–Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale (Experimental) [SSHWS].

By the old scale of barometric pressure, the 27.61 inHg would have made it a Cat 4.  Note that at Cat 4 range of pressures, storm surge is expected 13~18 feet.  Parts of Ike went 22 feet.

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/storms/hurricane/ghurricane_scale/flash.htm

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 02:20:07 pm »
Cat 2 on winds at 110 mph, 111 mph would have been Cat 3. (Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale)  Note that was at landfall, earlier it was at 145 mph, Cat 4.

Saffir gave the scale to the NHC, and Simpson added the effects of storm surge and flooding.  In 2009, the NHC made moves to eliminate pressure and storm surge ranges from the categories, transforming it into a pure wind scale, called the Saffir–Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale (Experimental) [SSHWS].

By the old scale of barometric pressure, the 27.61 inHg would have made it a Cat 4.  Note that at Cat 4 range of pressures, storm surge is expected 13~18 feet.  Parts of Ike went 22 feet.

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/storms/hurricane/ghurricane_scale/flash.htm

I knew about the 110/cat 2 - 111/cat 3 cut off.  As a test engineer I cringe at the single data point nature of the pressure/wind scale determination.  I'd be willing to bet the error band on that calculated wind speed is dramatically broad.

However, as to your original point being that Ike was a major storm, it is in the list of major hurricane events listed in the NHC website.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/outreach/history/
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline thackney

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 02:57:04 pm »
However, as to your original point being that Ike was a major storm, it is in the list of major hurricane events listed in the NHC website.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/outreach/history/

Yep, it was much stronger before landfall.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 05:41:39 pm »
Yes, but it was hot yesterday in Death Valley....in July.  Hot weather in the desert in July  proves man-made global warming.  /s

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 05:49:18 pm »
Obama did promise that he'd stop the oceans from rising...
Obama's a piker, Trump will part the oceans!