Author Topic: Retired Gen. Allen endorses Clinton  (Read 935 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Retired Gen. Allen endorses Clinton
« on: July 25, 2016, 04:47:49 pm »
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/john-allen-endorses-clinton-226110

Retired Gen. Allen endorses Clinton

By Nick Gass

07/25/16 08:19 AM EDT

Retired Marine Gen. John Allen has endorsed Hillary Clinton, the presumptive Democratic nominee's campaign announced Monday.

Allen, a four-star general who led coalition forces in Afghanistan, acknowledged the endorsement as a "very personal decision."

"Through 37 years of service in the U.S. Marine Corps, I saw some of the toughest challenges that our nation faces around the world, and I know that America has the power to meet those challenges. However, it requires continued leadership and engagement in the world, continued partnership with our allies, and a clear understanding of our adversaries," Allen said in a statement released through the Clinton campaign. "It requires patience and a deep comprehension of the international landscape to make smart decisions about when and how to use military force as well as an understanding that other tools of American power such as diplomacy and development aid - that will [keep] armed forces out of harm's way unless it is absolutely necessary. And it requires a leader who wants to understand these complex issues and seek advice and counsel. Hillary Clinton is all of those things."

While noting that he has "stayed out of the political arena" for his "entire adult life," Allen remarked upon "the complexities of issues facing our country today and its longtime allies," adding, "I felt compelled to speak up and be heard. I have no doubt that she is the leader we need at this time to keep our country safe, and I trust her with that most sacred responsibility of Commander-in-Chief."

Allen's endorsement comes on the same day Clinton is scheduled to address the Veterans of Foreign Wars convention in Charlotte, North Carolina, before Donald Trump does the same on Tuesday. Allen himself will address the Democratic National Convention on Thursday.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Retired Gen. Allen endorses Clinton
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 04:48:55 pm »
Probably vying for Joint Chiefs
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline beandog

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 05:09:32 pm »
Any military man who endorses either one off the two candidates isn't worth spit.  In IMO of course.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 05:12:15 pm »
The endorsement I want to see -- if he gives one -- is retired Gen. John Kelly.  That's a guy I'd follow anywhere.  Although I suspect he won't be giving one this election.  But if he does, it won't be for Hillary.

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 05:38:48 pm »
Probably vying for Joint Chiefs

He retired from active duty as an 0-10 in 2013 so there is no path for him to be Commandant or Chair the Joint Chiefs any longer.   He's working for a Brookings think tank now, likely making a lot of cash.

He retired at age 59 to be with his ailing wife, turning down a plum politically-powerful slot as head of EUCOMM so I'm not sure how interested he might be in any Clinton Administration slot.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 05:41:48 pm »
I am baffled, that after Benghazi and the e-mail fiasco, how anyone who fought for our national security could support HRC.

Offline Half Vast Conspiracy

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 05:45:55 pm »
He retired from active duty as an 0-10 in 2013 so there is no path for him to be Commandant or Chair the Joint Chiefs any longer.   He's working for a Brookings think tank now, likely making a lot of cash.

He retired at age 59 to be with his ailing wife, turning down a plum politically-powerful slot as head of EUCOMM so I'm not sure how interested he might be in any Clinton Administration slot.

Being recalled after retirement is not unheard of:  Gen Peter Schoomaker served from 1969 to 2000.  In 2003, he came back on active duty and served at the Army Chief of Staff.

HonestJohn

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 06:03:15 pm »
I am baffled, that after Benghazi and the e-mail fiasco, how anyone who fought for our national security could support HRC.

This is a reflection of how bad Trump will be.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 06:37:52 pm »
He's but one military officer endorsing her...there will be others, but there will also be many others endorsing Trump.

The military isn't monolithic when it comes to politics.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.