Author Topic: I asked 10 historians to nominate the 'worst' year in human history — here are their picks  (Read 2651 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: BUSINESS INSIDER

URL: http://www.businessinsider.com/i-asked-10-historians-to-nominate-the-worst-year-in-history-here-are-their-picks-2016-7

by: Matthew Pratt Guterl, Slate

When news of the truck killings in Nice, France, broke last week, I started seeing variations of the same sentiment on Twitter and Facebook: Is this the worst year ever, or what? Terror attacks, Zika, Brexit, police shootings, Syria, Trump, record-hot temperatures, the losses of Prince and David Bowie—this has been one unrelenting turn around the calendar.

Have terrifying events truly piled up on each other in 2016, in a way they didn’t in any other year in human history? Or is it impossible to judge the awfulness of a year while it’s still unfolding? Do we just notice negative happenings more these days because of our high levels of connectivity? And what does “worst year” even mean—“worst year” for Americans, for humanity, for the planet?

The question of how to determine a “worst year” in history piqued my interest. So I decided to ask a group of historians to nominate their own “worst years” and to reflect on what constitutes a “really bad year.” Ten brave souls agreed to play this parlor game with me. Here are their picks.

People talk about 2016 being a particularly disastrous year, but for a historian, there’s nothing new about people fighting for power or useless leaders with bad ideas gathering widespread support. All the current political upheaval is nothing compared with 1348, when the Black Death took hold.

The disease spread quickly along the Silk Roads and then across the trade routes crisscrossing the Mediterranean. In the space of 18 months, it killed at least a third of the population of Europe. “Our hopes for the future have been buried alongside our friends,” wrote the great Petrarch. It seemed like the end of the world was coming.

Some advised avoiding “every fleshly lust with women,” others that marching barefoot while self-flagellating would help. One writer in Damascus recorded that plague “sat like a king on a throne and swayed with power,” killing thousands every day. Dogs tore at the bodies of the dead that lay unburied in the streets.

That, I think, is what hell on Earth really looks like—and I’d rather be alive in 2016 than 1348.

If there’s one consolation, incidentally, it’s that the Black Death spurred one of the most golden of golden ages in history. Plague led to sharply reduced inequality, a spending boom, and a flowering of the arts. Storms do sometimes give way to sunshine.

Peter Frankopan is author of The Silk Roads: A New History of the World.

Ought we measure the “worst year in human history” by some calculus of human suffering? By sheer number of deaths? By the geographical extent of misery? Any of these metrics provide ready candidates. I will suggest, however, that the worst year ought to be the beginning of a world-historical process that once started, offered little chance for reversal. I nominate 1492.

That year, the Catholic monarchs Ferdinand and Isabella completed their conquest of Moorish Granada. Within a few years, the roughly half-million Muslim inhabitants of the territory would be killed, converted, enslaved, or expelled. The kingdom also expelled its Jewish population, resident since Roman times, providing a blueprint for similar persecutions and expulsions in years to follow. Spanish actions helped create the idea of a geographically distinct “Christian Europe,” replacing the more than two millennia of political and religious identities that connected different Mediterranean shores.

The most significant event of that year, however, was the first American voyage of Christopher Columbus. Columbus wasn’t the first European to reach the western continents, but his voyages were the first to become widely known. As a result, Spain and its rival powers accelerated their overseas contest for trade and territory.

By the early 16th century, Old World diseases made their inevitable drift to the Americas, beginning the series of plagues that ultimately caused the demographic collapse of some 90 percent of the indigenous population by the mid-19th century, and for many groups, the utter obliteration of society itself. Worse still, as the indigenous labor force disintegrated, Europeans turned to Africa for new sources for New World enslaved labor.

Few years in human history are so freighted with catastrophic consequences.

Peter Shulman is author of Coal and Empire: The Birth of Energy Security in Industrial America.

War on two fronts, in Florida against the Seminoles and in Alabama against the Creeks. One Georgia volunteer was toasted on July 4 for taking “an Indian’s scalp.” Toward the end of the year, the United States began preparations to invade the Cherokee Nation and forcibly remove its residents. After the state-sponsored mass deportations—the first in the modern era—who would cultivate the land?

The 1830s, if not precisely 1836, represented the peak of the interstate slave trade, with a quarter of a million enslaved people marched or shipped west to labor on fields that only a few years earlier had belonged to Native Americans. In Congress, pro-slavery politicians refused to hear anti-slavery petitions, passing the first gag rule in May 1836. In the words of one white Southerner, these were “flush times,” rife with speculation in Native American land and black slaves.

The year marks a high-water mark in the confluence of the nation’s darkest legacies: racism and reckless capitalism. The speculative bubble would collapse the following year, leaving behind hundreds of ruined banks and millions of dollars of worthless debt. The financial system would recover, but there was no second chance for the dispossessed.

Claudio Saunt is the author of West of the Revolution: An Uncommon History of 1776(Norton, 2014) and is at work on Aboriginia: Mass Deportation and the Road to Indian Territory.

CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 06:30:04 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
1492:
"That year, the Catholic monarchs Ferdinand and Isabella completed their conquest of Moorish Granada. Within a few years, the roughly half-million Muslim inhabitants of the territory would be killed, converted, enslaved, or expelled. The kingdom also expelled its Jewish population, resident since Roman times, providing a blueprint for similar persecutions and expulsions in years to follow. Spanish actions helped create the idea of a geographically distinct “Christian Europe,” replacing the more than two millennia of political and religious identities that connected different Mediterranean shores."

This is a joke, right?
Good joke!

Offline bolobaby

Ridiculous.

No mention of the tens of millions who died in Russia under Stalin or in China under Mao.

Those lives don't matter compared the the "protected" groups - native Americans and Muslims.

Give me a break.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

geronl

No mention of the tens of millions who died in Russia under Stalin or in China under Mao.

Those lives don't matter compared the the "protected" groups - native Americans and Muslims.

extremely PC list

Offline Jewbacca

• All Wookies Are Jewish
1492:
"That year, the Catholic monarchs Ferdinand and Isabella completed their conquest of Moorish Granada. Within a few years, the roughly half-million Muslim inhabitants of the territory would be killed, converted, enslaved, or expelled. The kingdom also expelled its Jewish population, resident since Roman times, providing a blueprint for similar persecutions and expulsions in years to follow. Spanish actions helped create the idea of a geographically distinct “Christian Europe,” replacing the more than two millennia of political and religious identities that connected different Mediterranean shores."

This is a joke, right?
Good joke!

What's funny about it?
The residents of Iroquois Territory shall not determine if Jews may  live in Jerusalem.

Offline Jewbacca

• All Wookies Are Jewish
The residents of Iroquois Territory shall not determine if Jews may  live in Jerusalem.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
I would say 1348 (concur that the plague was devastating globally), 1914 (the outbreak of World War I and the massive political upheavals it caused, which we're still dealing with today), and 1939 (the outbreak of World War II and beginning of the Holocaust).
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I would say 1348 (concur that the plague was devastating globally), 1914 (the outbreak of World War I and the massive political upheavals it caused, which we're still dealing with today), and 1939 (the outbreak of World War II and beginning of the Holocaust).

Add 1066...Beginning of de-celticzation of Britain

And A.D. 618 for obvious reasons.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline dfwgator

1989, the year Reagan left office.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I would have to say 832 was the worst. Pepin I, king of Aquitaine, and his brother Louis the German revolt against their father, emperor Louis the Pious. They gather an army of Slav allies and conquer Swabia.

We all know what became of that.

geronl

I would have to say 832 was the worst. Pepin I, king of Aquitaine, and his brother Louis the German revolt against their father, emperor Louis the Pious. They gather an army of Slav allies and conquer Swabia.

*runs to Google*

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
[quote
[/quote]

Cain slew Abel

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline skeeter

1492:

This is a joke, right?
Good joke!

It's a joke if the near complete purge and untold slaughter of Christians and Jews from the Middle East over the centuries remains unmentioned.

HonestJohn

Interesting that you post a pictures from:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jud_Süß_(1940_film)

The most anti-semitic film produced from Nazi Germany.

Offline MajorClay

The world according to Slate.