Author Topic: Trump Says He Prevented Cruz Being 'Ripped' Off Stage in Cleveland  (Read 2852 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-07-23/trump-details-entrance-during-cruz-speech-in-first-post-convention-interview

Trump Says He Prevented Cruz Being 'Ripped' Off Stage in Cleveland

The Republican presidential nominee gives his first interview since the Republican National Convention.

Kevin Cirilli

July 23, 2016 — 5:16 PM CDT

In his first interview since the Republican National Convention, Donald Trump said he prevented Ted Cruz from being ripped off the stage by entering Cleveland's Quicken Loans Arena as hundreds of angry delegates lashed out at the Texas senator.

"You know what, he's lucky I did it," Trump told Bloomberg Politics' Co-Managing Editor Mark Halperin in an interview to air Sunday night on Showtime's "The Circus." The interview was conducted midday Friday on a flight from Cleveland to New York on one of Trump's private planes.

"I walked in and the arena went crazy. Because there’s great unity in the Republican Party and people don’t know it," Trump said. "Had I not walked in, I think that audience would have ripped him off the stage. I think I did him a big favor."

When asked point blank if he entered the arena at the conclusion of Cruz's speech on Wednesday to "tweak" his former primary rival, Trump responded: "Tweak him? I would never do a thing like that. But yes."
"I will say, when I watch that roll call, it was very special."

He also second-guessed the decision to enter, saying, "In retrospect, I wish I would have waited another minute. Because he was being booed right off the stage."

Cruz's Speech Was Approved

Cruz was heckled by audience members in the packed arena during his prime-time speech for not endorsing Trump. Trump said that he considered not letting Cruz speak at the convention after reviewing his speech, but decided against it.

Trump said his campaign had approved the speech. "When I first read it, I said you know what, first of all it’s not a very good speech. This is not very exciting. Second of all, let’s throw him out."

Trump later changed his mind, concluding that it would be "a bigger deal if we throw him out than if he reads it and doesn’t endorse, what difference does it make?"

On Friday, a person familiar with Trump’s thinking told Bloomberg Politics that the billionaire plans to create and fund a super-PAC specifically aimed at ending the political career of Cruz, should he run for office again. The senator plans to run for re-election in 2018 and has hinted at a second White  House run in 2020.

"His life in politics might be over because people are so angry with him," Trump said of Cruz. "By not endorsing, in my opinion, I think he hurt himself."

Humbled by Roll Call

Trump said he watched on television from New York as his oldest son Donald Jr., 38, cast the vote on Tuesday that officially granted him the Republican nomination, capping an unconventional campaign for the real-estate developer and former reality television show star. His wife Melania and youngest son Barron, 10, were by his side.

"Well, when I watch the roll call, and I see that I was winning by so much. If you remember the 1,237 delegates, they said I would never get there, and I always felt 'what are they talking about?'" Trump said. "I will say, when I watch that roll call, it was very special."

After breaking so many political rules on the way to the nomination, Trump was pleased to follow tradition in the end. "A lot of people said, will you change the convention, will you do this? I said you know what, it’s wonderful to change things, but there’s something traditional. You know, tradition means a lot to me."

“I have to say, the world of politics is a whole different place. It’s beautiful. It’s glamorous. It’s mean. It’s vicious. I think it’s got every possible word you can think of... and it’s very simple, it’s very complex. It’s amazing," said Trump.

Melania's Speech

Days of media coverage of Melania Trump's speech focused on several lines lifted from Michelle Obama's 2008 Democratic convention speech, but her husband said she "came out feeling fine."

"It wasn’t Melania’s fault," he said. "It was really nobody’s fault. It was just something that could happen. I could understand it. And that’s why I would not accept her resignation," he said, referring to speechwriter Meredith McIver, who publicly apologized on Wednesday for mistakenly using Obama's words.

Trump's own speech, delivered on Thursday night, was "fully checked by computer" as a precaution after the Melania flap.

"I wrote it with Stephen [Miller] and myself," Trump said. "But we wrote that speech with no references. We didn’t say, you know, let’s do this or that."

Applauding Ailes

Trump also applauded Roger Ailes, the former chief executive officer of Fox News, who parted ways with the network this week after former anchor Gretchen Carlson filed a sexual harassment lawsuit against him. Ailes denies the allegations.

"I think it’s so sad. He’s such a great guy. Roger is – I mean, what he’s done on television, is in the history of television, he’s gotta be placed in the top three, or four or five," Trump said. "And that includes the founding of the major networks. So, it’s too bad. I’m sure it was friendly. I know Rupert [Murdoch]. He’s a great guy."

"Rupert has great respect for Roger and everything Roger’s done. But when you think about Roger Ailes, in the history of television, there’s really been almost no instances where something like this has been done," he said.

Trump spoke before the attack in Munich, the selection of Tim Kaine as Hillary Clinton’s running mate, or the release of television ratings for Thursday’s convention session.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: Trump Says He Prevented Cruz Being 'Ripped' Off Stage in Cleveland
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 12:11:32 am »
How much more of that clown can I take?
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 12:11:48 am »
"I walked in and the arena went crazy. Because there’s great unity in the Republican Party and people don’t know it," Trump said. "Had I not walked in, I think that audience would have ripped him off the stage. I think I did him a big favor."

My contempt for this charlatan increases every day.   But I will be forever grateful that Cruz upstaged him on Wednesday night.

geronl

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 12:11:55 am »
The booing and stuff was orchestrated by Team Trump.

He is sounds like a mob boss who didn't get his protection money

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 12:12:31 am »
How much more of that clown can I take?

More free media.  Trump is going to be omnipresent, everywhere, since he has no money and can't buy ads.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 12:15:10 am »
Spoken like the repugnant narcissist you are, lyin' Don.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 12:16:06 am »
Once again, he didn't mention hillary once!

WAKE UP, PEOPLE!!

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 12:19:51 am »
WTH(eck) does he come up with this delusional crap?
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 12:22:06 am »
WTH(eck) does he come up with this delusional crap?

He is seriously Drain Bamaged

Offline skeeter

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 12:22:31 am »
Lunatic.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 12:23:37 am »
I'll tell you one thing, IF Hillary and Trump do actually debate (provided Trump doesn't take the cowards way out and refuse her), it is going to make for some excellent entertainment.   :eatdrink:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 12:25:47 am »
He is seriously Drain Bamaged

I have no doubt.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 12:27:52 am »
I'll tell you one thing, IF Hillary and Trump do actually debate (provided Trump doesn't take the cowards way out and refuse her), it is going to make for some excellent entertainment.   :eatdrink:

The debate mods will cut his mic before they let him turn the debates into another clown show. Don't expect to see his mugging for the audience when Hillary is taking either.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 12:38:53 am »
The WWF behavior of this charlatan and the fact he is STILL focused on Cruz rather than Hillary speaks volumes.

The fact is, Trump and his entourage walked into the arena BEFORE Cruz finished speaking. 

It was all grand theatrics - which is all Trump is capable of besides acting like Tony Soprano.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

geronl

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 12:39:32 am »
I have no doubt.

That hair graft operation must have went really wrong.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2016, 12:41:35 am »
His praise of Roger Ailes reminds me of his recent praise for Joe Paterno.

geronl

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 12:46:11 am »
His praise of Roger Ailes reminds me of his recent praise for Joe Paterno.

"How is Joe doing these days?"

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 12:48:45 am »

Someone should post this article.  Kristol's WS has a paywall and I refuse to pay up to post articles from there.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/donald-trump-is-crazy-and-so-is-the-gop-for-embracing-him/article/2003466

« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 12:50:40 am by sinkspur »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2016, 12:52:53 am »
"Had I not walked in, I think that audience would have ripped him off the stage. I think I did him a big favor."

Trumpsplanation - I had pre-arranged with the goons that if I didn't walk in during Cruz's speech to take him out, but I was feeling benevolent that evening.

:P

Offline Fantom

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 12:54:02 am »

Thank goodness trump intervened.. who knows what cattle cars were thwarted.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2016, 12:55:46 am »
Trumpsplanation - I had pre-arranged with the goons that if I didn't walk in during Cruz's speech to take him out, but I was feeling benevolent that evening.

:P

Heh..good one...... "Just break their windows...trump said".   :beer:
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

debrawiest

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2016, 01:50:52 am »

Messiah complex much?

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2016, 01:56:07 am »
That hair graft operation must have went really wrong.

Exactly what I have been thinking.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2016, 01:56:43 am »

Messiah complex much?

The man is a fruitcake.