Author Topic: Texas delegation consensus: Cruz hurt himself at RNC  (Read 1497 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Texas delegation consensus: Cruz hurt himself at RNC
« on: July 23, 2016, 02:18:20 pm »
Texas delegation consensus: Cruz hurt himself at RNC

'There are probably 65% of us who think he should have endorsed Trump'

CLEVELAND, OHIO – The consensus among Texas delegates to the Republican National Convention is that Sen. Ted Cruz hurt himself when he spoke at the meetings, but refused to endorse 2016 candidate Donald Trump.

They believe it will be very hard for him, if it is at all possible, to get funding or political support for another run at the GOP nomination for president in 2020 or 2024.

Or possibly even his effort to be re-elected to a second term in the U.S. Senate in 2018.

Some donors who spoke to WND said they probably would be unwilling to fund Cruz’s political future.

It was after Cruz won the Texas primary that the 155 Texas delegates to the Republican Convention came to Cleveland very enthusiastic over their own senator.

Some two-thirds of the delegates were committed to voting for Cruz on the first ballot. The rest were going for Trump.

But then came the non-endorsement, and Cruz even doubled down the next morning by saying his pledge to support the eventual GOP candidate didn’t go so far as to get support from him for someone who insulted his wife and father.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2016/07/texas-delegation-consensus-cruz-hurt-himself-at-rnc/#gMo2ZQE61zQXf169.99

Online Right_in_Virginia

Re: Texas delegation consensus: Cruz hurt himself at RNC
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 02:20:54 pm »
This is not good news for a man who received only 43.7% of the primary vote--the lowest in recorded political history for the state of Texas.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 02:27:30 pm »
I have little doubt that Cruz will win his Senate reelection overwhelmingly and will be right in the thick of things in 2020.  His non-endorsement will be seen as smart, especially when Trump gets his head handed to him in November.

Funny that even some in the Texas delegation take "vote your conscience" to mean vote against Trump.  Must be feeling like sh*t for supporting Trump.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 02:30:49 pm »
Exactly what did Ted Cruz do that was WRONG again?

I've looked at it from any which way but can't help but conclude that those who BOOed him were the ones who were wrong in doing so.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 02:31:35 pm »
I have little doubt that Cruz will win his Senate reelection overwhelmingly and will be right in the thick of things in 2020.  His non-endorsement will be seen as smart, especially when Trump gets his head handed to him in November.

Funny that even some in the Texas delegation take "vote your conscience" to mean vote against Trump.  Must be feeling like sh*t for supporting Trump.

Cruz is going to win reelection easily- even if the so-called Republican Trump funds an effort against him. Cruz would have won a big majority of the vote in the primary if there weren't so darned many candidates. And a presidential primary is not comparable to a State race.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 02:33:30 pm »

One doesn't sound like a happy camper as they say.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 03:05:34 pm »
Sounds like a bunch of unnamed sources.
The Republic is lost.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 03:09:01 pm »
Funny, I know several in the delegation and their reaction was just the opposite at that, Dan Patrick several times had to threaten the entire delegation of they attempted to walk out of Trump's speech or do anything other than appear totally on board.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 03:22:48 pm »
This is not good news for a man who received only 43.7% of the primary vote--the lowest in recorded political history for the state of Texas.

Cruz sent a middle finger to an obnoxious Yankee New Yorker.

Automatic 15% bump in the polls.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 03:25:54 pm »
Exactly what did Ted Cruz do that was WRONG again?

I've looked at it from any which way but can't help but conclude that those who BOOed him were the ones who were wrong in doing so.

He spoke about freedom and god given sovereignty of the individual.

Like Kryptonite to political hacks and those who own them.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 03:26:09 pm »
Cruz sent a middle finger to an obnoxious Yankee New Yorker.

Automatic 15% bump in the polls.

Yes, for Trump..

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 03:27:24 pm »
Yes, for Trump..

I'm a Texan.  I guess you know more about us than me huh?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 03:49:42 pm »
Yes, for Trump..

Perhaps you live in some alternate dimension from this one...
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline beandog

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2016, 05:32:54 pm »

Perhaps Sen. Cruz cares more about his country, his family, and doing what he believes to be the right thing than he does about some stupid "career" as a politician.  There are a lot better and more satisfying careers out there.  It could very well be he doesn't even want to run again for Senate. 

geronl

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2016, 05:38:10 pm »
As a Texan I could not be more proud of my Senator, the rest of the fools in DC not so much.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2016, 05:38:55 pm »
Funny, I know several in the delegation and their reaction was just the opposite at that, Dan Patrick several times had to threaten the entire delegation of they attempted to walk out of Trump's speech or do anything other than appear totally on board.

Then I'm afraid my estimation of Dan Patrick will fall a notch or two.

I won't predict what impact Cruz's Wednesday speech will have on his career.  I just know that he re-affirmed my pride in supporting him, and I will be proud to continue doing so.  There is at least one elected leader in Federal Government who stands on principle without apology.
James 1:20

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2016, 05:46:39 pm »
Then I'm afraid my estimation of Dan Patrick will fall a notch or two.

I won't predict what impact Cruz's Wednesday speech will have on his career.  I just know that he re-affirmed my pride in supporting him, and I will be proud to continue doing so.  There is at least one elected leader in Federal Government who stands on principle without apology.

Mine already has and I have told him so in person!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

geronl

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2016, 07:27:00 pm »
Half the political headlines on TBR are now nothing more than Trump fluffing.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2016, 07:29:39 pm »
Heh...we'll see what they think the day after the general election.  They'll be changing their tunes, methinks.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2016, 07:39:51 pm »
Heh...we'll see what they think the day after the general election.  They'll be changing their tunes, methinks.

Wouldn't a wikileaks email linking collusion between Trump and Clinton be a hoot?

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2016, 08:00:34 pm »

Isn't that about the same percentage of the vote that Trump received nationwide?

Hmmm...
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2016, 08:12:26 pm »
Half the political headlines on TBR are now nothing more than Trump fluffing.

And unemployment is down in India.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2016, 08:20:39 pm »
And unemployment is down in India.

Mumbai calling...
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline WAC

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2016, 08:21:55 pm »

He lost me ....I cannot imagine supporting him in the future should he run.....I overlooked that he lost control of his campaign along the way and botched some things.....but his refusal to support the Rep. Nominee just went way too far...and this by insulting the audience he was before.....

HE would have been mush further ahead by not showing up when Trump invited him......that would have been tough enough but understandable.  But to show and school the audience on how to vote showed he was out of touch with the people there.....who by the way cheered him coming in. It was just bad timing and and he was out sink with a people not in the mood for what he presented when he dropped his bomb.

I don't understand how Cruz didn't read the political climate .......he had to have known he'd not be well received without endorsing Trump.......and I don't understand how he justified this by using his wife and father as reason....especially since he's the one that said  from the get go everything would be coming at him.......failing terribly to see he had become his own worst enemy when all was said and done.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2016, 09:22:27 pm »
He lost me ....I cannot imagine supporting him in the future should he run.....I overlooked that he lost control of his campaign along the way and botched some things.....but his refusal to support the Rep. Nominee just went way too far...and this by insulting the audience he was before.....

HE would have been mush further ahead by not showing up when Trump invited him......that would have been tough enough but understandable.  But to show and school the audience on how to vote showed he was out of touch with the people there.....who by the way cheered him coming in. It was just bad timing and and he was out sink with a people not in the mood for what he presented when he dropped his bomb.

I don't understand how Cruz didn't read the political climate .......he had to have known he'd not be well received without endorsing Trump.......and I don't understand how he justified this by using his wife and father as reason....especially since he's the one that said  from the get go everything would be coming at him.......failing terribly to see he had become his own worst enemy when all was said and done.

Your assessment of the situation is wildly inaccurate.

Cruz's speech was brilliant. Not because he said, "The emperor has no clothes." In fact, he didn't say that. He set up Trump and the entire RNC to say it for him.

He gave a soaring speech outlining conservative principles - the things we should readily stand for and support. Then all he said is, "Support the candidate that will support these principles. Vote your conscience." (Paraphrased.)

If Team Trump and the Trumpettes were *at all* savvy they would have simply said, "What a great speech by Cruz! What a ringing endorsement of the man who *will* support the principles he laid out - Donald Trump!"

Instead, they got outraged. Trump himself turned back into his petulant man-child and started in on the Rafael-Oswald link again. Seriously.

The collective voice of the GOP establishment and their nominee all proclaimed with one unanimous voice, "The emperor has no clothes! Trump does not represent our principles. He is not aligned with our conscience!"

Cruz is the one who set the trap. Trumpettes walked willingly into it. It reminds me 100% of this other trap he purposefully set:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2ZVihACwQ0

He was the keynote speaker at that event. He designed his speech knowing full-well how the crowd would react. He was prepared when they did. He showed the world that the emperor had no clothes. The convention speech was not very different except he left it to the GOPe to out themselves.

And they did.

They all fell right for it.

And when Trump loses, and Reince is ousted as a result, the GOPe will be left wondering where they went wrong. They can look back at this moment and know the truth.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!