Author Topic: American volunteer killed fighting ISIS in Syria - CNN (picture)  (Read 424 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I saw this Kurdish flag in another story about the war over there.

Am I missing it? The article does not seem to say where he was from. God Bless Him for fighting Evil!

His mother, Susan Shirley, said her son always wanted to join the U.S. Marine Corps but his eyesight was not good enough.
"He was born with very poor eyesight," she said Thursday. "He had surgery as a teen. Even so, it was not enough to join the Marines."

American volunteer killed fighting ISIS in Syria

(CNN)An American civilian fighting alongside Kurdish troops in Syria has been killed fighting ISIS, according to a statement from the official website of the People's Protection Units, or YPG.
The YPG said Levi Jonathan Shirley, a volunteer also known as Agir Servan, died on July 14 in Manbij, an ISIS-held city in northern Syria.

Shirley first traveled to Syria in February 2015, joining the YPG in Rojava. After a short trip back to the United States, he returned to Syria in January 2016, fighting in Al-Jazira and Kobani before the offensive to recapture Manbij.
The YPG, a Kurdish group of some 30,000 fighters, is the senior partner in the Syrian Democratic Forces, which also includes some smaller Arab and Christian groups.

More At: http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/21/middleeast/american-volunteer-killed-syria-isis/index.html

Similar flag to photo here: http://www.syriahr.com/en/?p=48549
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 04:15:54 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 04:27:09 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Re: American volunteer killed fighting ISIS in Syria - CNN (picture)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 05:27:05 am »
He's from Colorado.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink