Author Topic: 2 'Nearby' Exoplanets Confirmed to Be Rocky — and May Be Habitable  (Read 1800 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Two Earth-size planets orbiting a nearby star are now confirmed to be rocky, strengthening the case that they might be habitable, a new study finds.

The atmospheres of these worlds may range from vanishingly thin, like that of Mars, to hellishly dense, like Venus' air — and, possibly, comfortably in between, like Earth's, the researchers said.

In May, astronomers reported the discovery of three Earth-size planets orbiting a dim, cold, red star named TRAPPIST-1. This "ultracool dwarf" is located in the constellation Aquarius, about 39 light-years from Earth. (For comparison, Alpha Centauri, the nearest star system to our own, is about 4.3 light-years from Earth.)

Previous research found that TRAPPIST-1 is 2,000 times dimmer than the sun, a bit less than half as warm as the sun, about one-twelfth the sun's mass, and less than one-eighth the sun's width, making it only barely larger in diameter than Jupiter.

Ultracool dwarfs such as TRAPPIST-1 are very common in the Milky Way galaxy, making up about 15 percent of the stars near the sun. TRAPPIST-1's discoverers suggest that these kinds of stars may be the first places to look for life elsewhere in the universe, because they may be the only places where scientists using current technology can detect life on distant Earth-size planets.

Judging from the size and temperatures of the three planets around TRAPPIST-1, researchers previously suggested that regions on each world could be habitable — that is, have surfaces with just the right temperatures to harbor liquid water, a key ingredient of life as it is known on Earth. However, it was uncertain if these three planets were rocky worlds like Earth.

Now, TRAPPIST-1's discoverers have found that the star's two innermost worlds, TRAPPIST-1b and TRAPPIST-1c, are indeed primarily rocky planets.

The scientists made this new discovery by pointing NASA's Hubble Space Telescope at TRAPPIST-1 to catch a rare event on May 4: a double transit, when two planets — in this case, TRAPPIST-1b and TRAPPIST-1c — pass in front of their star at nearly the same time.

Read more: http://www.interstellar-news.net/2016/07/2-nearby-exoplanets-confirmed-to-be.html
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

geronl

Re: 2 'Nearby' Exoplanets Confirmed to Be Rocky — and May Be Habitable
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 07:47:00 am »
Previous research found that TRAPPIST-1 is 2,000 times dimmer than the sun, a bit less than half as warm as the sun, about one-twelfth the sun's mass, and less than one-eighth the sun's width, making it only barely larger in diameter than Jupiter.

How does one determine the habitable zone of a world like that?

Offline Crazieman

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 09:49:01 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumstellar_habitable_zone

Bunch of math essentially determining the star's total output, energy dissipation on distance, and the planet's orbit to get a rough figure of temperature.
Mixed-race Mutt.
Your racist accusations are invalid.

Start thinking Constitutionally and stop thinking in groups.

geronl

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 09:50:58 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumstellar_habitable_zone

Bunch of math essentially determining the star's total output, energy dissipation on distance, and the planet's orbit to get a rough figure of temperature.

bunch of math!!

Makes me want to scream and hide

Offline kidd

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 03:21:02 pm »
Kepler works by detecting very small changes in light transmitted to us as one of these exo-planets pass in front of it's star. The planet HAS to have an orbit that allows it to pass in front of it's star from our point of view.

Because Kepler is broken, the star HAS to be dim and the planet HAS to be very close to its star.

Confirmation that these planets are rocky is pretty cool (done by the Hubble telescope). But it is another leap in technology before it can be determined much else about these planets.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 04:02:33 pm »
bunch of math!!

Makes me want to scream and hide

Makes me wish I understood it better. I wanted to be an astronomer.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 12:10:34 am »
Kepler works by detecting very small changes in light transmitted to us as one of these exo-planets pass in front of it's star. The planet HAS to have an orbit that allows it to pass in front of it's star from our point of view.

Because Kepler is broken, the star HAS to be dim and the planet HAS to be very close to its star.

Confirmation that these planets are rocky is pretty cool (done by the Hubble telescope). But it is another leap in technology before it can be determined much else about these planets.

The James Webb Space Telescope is up next:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8p0SaMSZ7M

geronl

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 12:43:44 am »
Kepler being broken is a waste.

Hopefully the next one will work properly, even the Hubble had to be repaired in space, remember.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 12:45:12 am »
Kepler being broken is a waste.

Hopefully the next one will work properly, even the Hubble had to be repaired in space, remember.

Well for a broken telescope it seems to be working, I think JWST will work out.

geronl

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 03:45:44 am »

Well for a broken telescope it seems to be working, I think JWST will work out.

Experts are pretty cool working around problems like that.

Offline Crazieman

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 03:47:56 am »
I haven't looked up the JWST specs.  I should probably just google it, but I'll ask in case someone knows.

Does it have the resolution and ability to do spectral analysis on extrasolar planets?  Or is that still tech that we need to perfect?
Mixed-race Mutt.
Your racist accusations are invalid.

Start thinking Constitutionally and stop thinking in groups.