Author Topic: OPEN LIVE CONVENTION THREAD - WEDNESDAY, JULY 20  (Read 37908 times)

Silver Pines

Re: OPEN LIVE CONVENTION THREAD - WEDNESDAY, JULY 20
« Reply #550 on: July 21, 2016, 01:34:56 am »
I value your opinion, but disagree.

Sure, at some more limbic level of my brain, I'd love to see Cruz come out all claws and teeth and shred that pompous SOB who slandered his way to the nomination.

BUT> For starters, the bots out there would howl that he was whining, a sore loser, couldn't take the heat, poor teddy bare, and a host of other feces thrown at the wall.

The greatest thing Cruz can do to deprive them and Trump of that whole line of argument is to be better than they are.

Move on, to focus on the future and not the past, on the Constitution, on OUR country, and what we need to do to return the Republic to good health, militarily, economically, and socially, and leave Trump out of it. No endorsement, no attack either. Focus on solving problems and by doing so give the new nominee a mark to be gauged by. I think that will be far more impressive and effective in the long run, and deprive the usual suspects of material to rant about.

If they disagree, they expose themselves for what they are, and that places them in a position of either showing their true colors or having to give at least tacit approval to the message, if not Cruz himself.

I don't want him to come out all claws and teeth.  Like you say, he'd look like a poor loser.

But someone said it was gracious enough to refrain from punching Trump in the mouth, and I wholeheartedly agree.   I want him to ignore Trump's existence.

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #551 on: July 21, 2016, 01:35:14 am »
Biggest applause of the convention so far. Even bigger than when they declared an open bar.

Well that's going to torque some people off...
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
« Reply #552 on: July 21, 2016, 01:36:10 am »
He congratulated Donald Trump on winning the nomination last night.  CLASSY!!!

Said he wants to see conservative principles prevail in November!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #553 on: July 21, 2016, 01:36:44 am »
He went full FReeper.  Never go full FReeper.
I thought I heard some Tropic Thunder.... :silly:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #554 on: July 21, 2016, 01:36:46 am »
Good to see a good applause for Ted.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #555 on: July 21, 2016, 01:36:59 am »
He congratulates Trump. Gracious to the end.

(Still want to see him mic drop, though.)
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #556 on: July 21, 2016, 01:37:11 am »
I wish he spoke like this during the primaries. One of Cruz's biggest problems is he spoke like a preacher- speaking at people instead of to them.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #557 on: July 21, 2016, 01:37:19 am »

@jbarro  35s36 seconds ago
You'd think Ted could have just left Heidi out of it.‪
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #558 on: July 21, 2016, 01:38:51 am »
Because it is the party convention and it is what they are selling. People need to really start looking at this whole thing as a business- they are selling you a product, and that product isn't the candidate- the candidate is the marketing gimmick to them, like Ronald McDonald. No, what they are selling is you giving them continued power. They are going to always set up the false dichotomy where you either choose them or you are choosing (or you are) evil. In the Coke versus Pepsi war, you never hear them talking about Dr. Pepper. They can't let people realize there are other options that may fit closer to their values.

The Democrats will do the exact same thing, only in reverse. And both will continue to sell you their power to keep them in business and they'll keep putting up characters as marketing gimmicks.

The two major political parties are as big of business as the largest Fortune 500 companies in the country, and what they sell is emotional connections to them.
OUTSTANDING ANALYSIS!! :patriot:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Eowyn

« Reply #559 on: July 21, 2016, 01:39:41 am »
Cruz is making me tear up.

Offline ABX

« Reply #560 on: July 21, 2016, 01:39:45 am »
CSPAN cut to Trump making a surprise entrance into the building (they kept the audio going).

He just couldn't stand someone else getting limelight.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #561 on: July 21, 2016, 01:40:32 am »
Yeah, but Ted - is Trump really the "best for our country and their future?"
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #562 on: July 21, 2016, 01:41:12 am »

@Txsleuthe  53s54 seconds ago Fort Worth, TX
LOLOLOL  C-Span breaks from Cruz to show Trump and his peeps entering the building.

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #563 on: July 21, 2016, 01:41:27 am »
I want him to ignore Trump's existence.
Exactly!

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #564 on: July 21, 2016, 01:41:32 am »

Offline ABX

« Reply #565 on: July 21, 2016, 01:41:44 am »
Cruz is making his version of Reagan's 76 address and reminding people the people are in charge, not a dictator. He is reminding people of our core values. Something we haven't heard almost all election cycle.

Where was this Cruz during the primaries?

Oh yea, constantly having to react to being called an adulterer, liar, globalist, or son of a Kennedy assassin.

Offline Eowyn

« Reply #566 on: July 21, 2016, 01:41:55 am »
Trump makes his grand entrance during Cruz's speech and cameras pull away to Trump.

Stay classy, Trump.  /extreme sarcasm

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #567 on: July 21, 2016, 01:42:25 am »
jimgeraghty ‏@jimgeraghty  3m3 minutes ago
Ted Cruz is gonna show his emotional range in this speech. He really wants a Reagan in 1976 "we nominated the wrong man" reaction.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #568 on: July 21, 2016, 01:43:40 am »
Your home is conservative .  The loss of your support hurts our side not the left.

Now if you can make Bernie supporters stay home, you are cooking with oil..

Not if the person you're not supporting hasn't got a conservative bone in his body.

Our "home" is no longer conservative, Lonestar.  It's now much closer to Bernie than it is to Ronnie.

That's why we can't "support" a bad guy like Trump.  He's destroying our "home."
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline ABX

« Reply #569 on: July 21, 2016, 01:44:03 am »
Trump makes his grand entrance during Cruz's speech and cameras pull away to Trump.

Stay classy, Trump.  /extreme sarcasm

I made the mistake of clicking over to the freeper live thread. Disgusting how much hate they have for Cruz and how they have 'tingles up their legs' when they cut to Trump for a second.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #570 on: July 21, 2016, 01:44:31 am »
What's this free-dom he's talking about?

I thought this was about making America great or safe or something.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #571 on: July 21, 2016, 01:45:40 am »
Cruz is making me tear up.

He is speaking in the grand themes of Conservatism....... of values............ of FREEDOM.

Things that Trump doesn't even know enough about to babble about them.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #572 on: July 21, 2016, 01:46:19 am »
Still a Cruzer!!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

« Reply #573 on: July 21, 2016, 01:47:13 am »
I'll bet you ten bucks something will happen that will ensure this great speech is upstaged and other than YouTube, this will be the last time you'll see this in its entirety.

You can't have someone talk about liberty, freedom, the constitution, the bill of rights, and all that old fashioned stuff. It empowers the individual and makes them think they don't need someone from the government to help them.

Offline Eowyn

« Reply #574 on: July 21, 2016, 01:47:37 am »
Cruz is KNOCKING IT OUT OF THE PARK!!!!!