Author Topic: OPEN LIVE CONVENTION THREAD - WEDNESDAY, JULY 20  (Read 37968 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: OPEN LIVE CONVENTION THREAD - WEDNESDAY, JULY 20
« Reply #525 on: July 21, 2016, 01:22:20 am »
Oh, Walker just went, "If you don't vote for Trump, you are supporting Clinton."

Seriously.

Gimme a break.

Of course he has to say it because this is a party convention and that's what they are selling to people, but it is the old false dichotomy error that continues to get us worse and worse candidates until we get to the point we are now with the two corrupt idiots in the two major parties. By that false logic, any vote for anyone other than Hillary is a vote for Trump- I'm not voting for either so they both can claim the vote.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #526 on: July 21, 2016, 01:22:55 am »
Oh, Walker just went, "If you don't vote for Trump, you are supporting Clinton."

Seriously.

Gimme a break.

He'll make a great FREEPer one day. ;)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #527 on: July 21, 2016, 01:24:03 am »

Seriously.

Gimme a break.

Why Scott???  WHY????
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #528 on: July 21, 2016, 01:25:03 am »
See, it is that sort of weakness that made me not support Walker from the start.  Don't get me wrong, there are some very good things about him.  But he also is weak in some ways.  Very strong in other ways -- a mixed bag.  Way better than Trump, but still...

Well, he's good for Wisconsin, and very strong there, so I guess that's where he should stay.

(He was my first choice).

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline mlizzy

• Rosary for Peace
« Reply #529 on: July 21, 2016, 01:25:11 am »
Ted is up very soon! Yay!

Lynn Patton, vice president of the Eric Trump Foundation

U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida

U.S. Sen Ted Cruz of Texas

Eric Trump, Donald Trump's son

Former Speaker of the house Newt Gingrich and his wife, Callista

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, presumptive candidate for vice president
America needs no words from me to see how your decision in Roe v. Wade has deformed a great nation. The so-called right to abortion has pitted mothers against their children and women against men. Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being's entitlement by virtue of his humanity. The right to life does not depend, and must not be declared to be contingent, on the pleasure of anyone else, not even a parent or a sovereign. -Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Offline chae

« Reply #530 on: July 21, 2016, 01:25:48 am »
He went full FReeper.  Never go full FReeper.

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
« Reply #531 on: July 21, 2016, 01:27:21 am »
I had to mute it.  Listening to this lady wax poetic about Trump was enough to make me sick.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #532 on: July 21, 2016, 01:27:59 am »
amy walter ‏@amyewalter  6m6 minutes ago

Trump ran on a platform of populism yet none of the elected Rs have even mentioned ripping up trade deals or going after china.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #533 on: July 21, 2016, 01:28:49 am »
See, it is that sort of weakness that made me not support Walker from the start.  Don't get me wrong, there are some very good things about him.  But he also is weak in some ways.  Very strong in other ways -- a mixed bag.  Way better than Trump, but still...

I'll not hold it against him...still better than most, on our side for the most.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #534 on: July 21, 2016, 01:29:25 am »
He went full FReeper.  Never go full FReeper.

I think I've seen full FReeper . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline ABX

« Reply #535 on: July 21, 2016, 01:30:23 am »
Why Scott???  WHY????

Because it is the party convention and it is what they are selling. People need to really start looking at this whole thing as a business- they are selling you a product, and that product isn't the candidate- the candidate is the marketing gimmick to them, like Ronald McDonald. No, what they are selling is you giving them continued power. They are going to always set up the false dichotomy where you either choose them or you are choosing (or you are) evil. In the Coke versus Pepsi war, you never hear them talking about Dr. Pepper. They can't let people realize there are other options that may fit closer to their values.

The Democrats will do the exact same thing, only in reverse. And both will continue to sell you their power to keep them in business and they'll keep putting up characters as marketing gimmicks.

The two major political parties are as big of business as the largest Fortune 500 companies in the country, and what they sell is emotional connections to them.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #536 on: July 21, 2016, 01:30:42 am »
I had to mute it.  Listening to this lady wax poetic about Trump was enough to make me sick.

So Trump lets her wet her beak, and she repays with good words...?
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #537 on: July 21, 2016, 01:30:42 am »
Of course he has to say it because this is a party convention and that's what they are selling to people, but it is the old false dichotomy error that continues to get us worse and worse candidates until we get to the point we are now with the two corrupt idiots in the two major parties. By that false logic, any vote for anyone other than Hillary is a vote for Trump- I'm not voting for either so they both can claim the vote.

Your home is conservative .  The loss of your support hurts our side not the left.

Now if you can make Bernie supporters stay home, you are cooking with oil..
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #538 on: July 21, 2016, 01:30:42 am »
Don't get me wrong, we would be so much better off if he were the nominee rather than Trump.  He has done some great things in Wisconsin.  I certainly agree with that.  He is an honorable man of good character.  It's just what I said before...

Yep.

And while his comment tonight was "understandable" at a Convention, he didn't have to say anything at all about it.

I know literally hundreds of people not voting for Trump who are not in any way, shape or form supporting Hillary.

It feels very much like a LIE to me, so I really wish someone I admire had not said it.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #539 on: July 21, 2016, 01:30:49 am »
Smaller more efficient government relative to the Gross City Product.

Billions in Gross City product could be unleashed while making government more efficient.
More efficient government is a nice idea, but I want less government. I don't need the Federal Government deciding what light bulbs to put in my sockets, where the cattle can water, how much my toilet can flush in one shot, whether I can fill in that low spot in the yard, or even cut down a tree. It's my land, I'll take care of it, just as my ancestors did the land relatives are still on for over 350 years...and still being farmed.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #540 on: July 21, 2016, 01:30:55 am »
Josh Barro ‏@jbarro 17m17 minutes ago

Clever astronaut Eileen Collins just skipped over the Trump endorsement she was supposed to make in her RNC speech.

Oops. Heh heh :silly:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #541 on: July 21, 2016, 01:31:29 am »
stuart stevens ‏@stuartpstevens  3m3 minutes ago

This whole thing is like one of those "Eat anything you want & lose weight" diets. It's about instant gratification not results.

Offline Eowyn

« Reply #542 on: July 21, 2016, 01:31:35 am »

Seriously.

Gimme a break.

My respect for Walker went down when he said that.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #543 on: July 21, 2016, 01:32:26 am »
Because it is the party convention and it is what they are selling. People need to really start looking at this whole thing as a business- they are selling you a product, and that product isn't the candidate- the candidate is the marketing gimmick to them, like Ronald McDonald. No, what they are selling is you giving them continued power. They are going to always set up the false dichotomy where you either choose them or you are choosing (or you are) evil. In the Coke versus Pepsi war, you never hear them talking about Dr. Pepper. They can't let people realize there are other options that may fit closer to their values.

The Democrats will do the exact same thing, only in reverse. And both will continue to sell you their power to keep them in business and they'll keep putting up characters as marketing gimmicks.

The two major political parties are as big of business as the largest Fortune 500 companies in the country, and what they sell is emotional connections to them.

Well, it makes sense.  I'm a Pepper.  ^-^

(Still disappointed in Scott.  He could have said nothing about it at all).

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #544 on: July 21, 2016, 01:33:58 am »
Did I hear that last one screeching LGTB?

TED TED TED

Offline ABX

« Reply #545 on: July 21, 2016, 01:34:08 am »
Biggest applause of the convention so far. Even bigger than when they declared an open bar.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #546 on: July 21, 2016, 01:34:22 am »
John Podhoretz ‏@jpodhoretz  35s36 seconds ago
Hero's welcome for Ted Cruz, who is secretly the preferred choice of the majority in the hall

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #547 on: July 21, 2016, 01:34:27 am »
Scott Walker **nononono*

I always said that he was a squish of the worst sort.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Eowyn

« Reply #548 on: July 21, 2016, 01:34:34 am »
Here's Ted!!!!

Massive applause!

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #549 on: July 21, 2016, 01:34:45 am »
WOW! YUGE applause for Cruz!
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!