Author Topic: OPEN LIVE CONVENTION THREAD - WEDNESDAY, JULY 20  (Read 37953 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: OPEN LIVE CONVENTION THREAD - WEDNESDAY, JULY 20
« Reply #150 on: July 20, 2016, 06:08:37 pm »
Here is how I feel, to quote Captain America:
Doesn't matter what the press says, doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say.  Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right.  This nation was founded on one principle above all else: The requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences.  When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world:  NO, you move.

If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.

Anatole France  As quoted in Listening and Speaking : A Guide to Effective Oral Communication (1954) by Ralph G. Nichols and Thomas R. Lewis, p. 74
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #151 on: July 20, 2016, 06:09:44 pm »
I agree about myst.  She should tune us out.  It will all be here when she gets back.

I like the 2 threads since the two sides are so far apart.  I don't like the deleting of posts, but as long as it is that thread and not this one, I don't care.  Two threads was a good idea.  I wanted room to laugh since that's all the joy I get out of this year's election.

Totally agree.  As long as we aren't censored, they can do what they want....... what they need.  They're angry people, and the less I see of them here, the better.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #152 on: July 20, 2016, 06:10:52 pm »
@geronl @RAT Patrol

As for me = I feel sorry for myst. She is trying to enjoy her new grandbaby and deal with fractious internal upheavals pertaining to this website.

I agree with many that two separate "official" convention threads are silly. Lets all just obey the rules and act like adults, mm-kay?

Well. My read is that @R4 TrumPence wanted a celebration thread. Objections were raised. Compromise was made. It should work well. Everyone has a lane to drive in.

geronl

« Reply #153 on: July 20, 2016, 06:12:11 pm »
I agree about myst.  She should tune us out.  It will all be here when she gets back.

I like the 2 threads since the two sides are so far apart. 

Only one side is censoring and enforcing a rigorous jingoistic Trumpianism

Offline Bunny Watson

« Reply #154 on: July 20, 2016, 06:12:30 pm »
Trump finally found somebody to shoot.  This reads as if she wrote it with a gun to her head.  And, she implicates Melania in the plagiarism:

Is there a link missing?  I don't see anything after your colon.

geronl

« Reply #155 on: July 20, 2016, 06:13:41 pm »
The irony must be lost on many that we ended up with the only Rebuplican candidate on record praising Bill Clinton's presidency and Hillary's work as Sec. of State. The guy who started his campaign becuase of a phone call with the Clintons is the only one that can stop the Clintons.

I remember when McCain all but endorsed Obama a few weeks before the election. The polls were fairly close until he did that.

Trump also praised Obama's bailout and stimulus and said he'd hire the guy.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #156 on: July 20, 2016, 06:15:10 pm »
Only one side is censoring and enforcing a rigorous jingoistic Trumpianism

None of us are any worse off for it.  The adults can handle criticism.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

HonestJohn

« Reply #157 on: July 20, 2016, 06:16:11 pm »
Nothing like that new thread smell!

Genuine Corinthian leather!  Two Corinthians made it!

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #158 on: July 20, 2016, 06:16:34 pm »
Well. My read is that @R4 TrumPence wanted a celebration thread. Objections were raised. Compromise was made. It should work well. Everyone has a lane to drive in.

And still, our free speech here persists...
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

geronl

« Reply #159 on: July 20, 2016, 06:18:19 pm »
Genuine Corinthian leather!  Two Corinthians made it!

Donald Dahmer Trump prefers his leather made out of Corinthians

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #160 on: July 20, 2016, 06:19:11 pm »
Trump worth $3 billion

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

geronl

« Reply #161 on: July 20, 2016, 06:20:23 pm »
And still, our free speech here persists...

A "celebration" thread would not be titled as if it were the "official" convention discussion thread.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #162 on: July 20, 2016, 06:21:27 pm »
 Hello, all.

I have been reading with interest for the past several hours the postings that I have missed while I've been on vacation. I am presently in Quebec, Canada and trying valiantly to catch up via the Internet on some of the goings on during the Republican convention.

I must say that reading these threads has been altogether depressing, and at times plainly shocking to witness the level to which our discourse has sunk, especially with regard to the personalization of comments directed toward members of this group by other members.

Clearly, Donald Trump's victory over his electoral rivals for the Republican nomination has created a great deal of acrimony not only among members of TBR but among the Republican electorate in general.

I have made no secret about my disdain for Mr. Trump. I find his boorish behavior, his lack of intellectualism, his poor character and lack of policy knowledge to be substantial reasons not to support him in the upcoming election.

Nonetheless, I find the prospect of a president Hillary Clinton to be positively frightening, to the extent that I might actually consider voting for Mr. Trump in the end. I take no pleasure in this, and neither should any of his supporters that the only reason some of us might in the end pull a lever for him is because the alternative is so horrifying.

I remain unconvinced that a Trump presidency would not be nearly as horrifying. But the one reason, the one thing that might tip the balance for me in the end is the Supreme Court.  In truth, I have no idea what Trump would do if provided the opportunity to nominate a justice to the court. Neither does anyone else. That is as frightening as anything else about the man, who remains a cipher in terms of his actual beliefs, assuming he has any.

In any event, I am going to return to enjoying my 25th wedding anniversary vacation with my lovely wife, and enjoy some fine food and beverages here in Quebec and watch the convention tonight - unfortunately on CNN - the only news station we can get here, which is a hoot and a half but that's another story...

I am especially looking forward to watching the speech from the man who should've been the GOP nominee by all rights, Ted Cruz.  I expect from him a speech full of substance and not rancor.  And no endorsement, either.

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #163 on: July 20, 2016, 06:22:27 pm »
A "celebration" thread would not be titled as if it were the "official" convention discussion thread.

And still no banner link to the OPEN live thread...starting to seem a bit more than a simple oversight.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #164 on: July 20, 2016, 06:24:22 pm »
And still no banner link to the OPEN live thread...starting to seem a bit more than a simple oversight.

It may be my fault. I asked to have it put up yesterday, so I'll ask to have it put up again.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Wingnut

« Reply #165 on: July 20, 2016, 06:27:56 pm »

Is there a link missing?  I don't see anything after your colon.

That's a relief.  He's not due for a colonoscopy till next year!

Offline Mod1

« Reply #166 on: July 20, 2016, 06:29:01 pm »
It may be my fault. I asked to have it put up yesterday, so I'll ask to have it put up again.

sinkspur... I am trying to find the person with the right set of keys.  Bear with us.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #167 on: July 20, 2016, 06:29:57 pm »
I take it @R4 TrumPence is a bit bitter about last night.  I've learned through a lot of trial and error to NEVER PISS OFF A WOMAN...lol.

That statement makes me mad.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #168 on: July 20, 2016, 06:30:34 pm »
Hello, all.

I have been reading with interest for the past several hours the postings that I have missed while I've been on vacation. I am presently in Quebec, Canada and trying valiantly to catch up via the Internet on some of the goings on during the Republican convention.

I must say that reading these threads has been altogether depressing, and at times plainly shocking to witness the level to which our discourse has sunk, especially with regard to the personalization of comments directed toward members of this group by other members.

Clearly, Donald Trump's victory over his electoral rivals for the Republican nomination has created a great deal of acrimony not only among members of TBR but among the Republican electorate in general.

I have made no secret about my disdain for Mr. Trump. I find his boorish behavior, his lack of intellectualism, his poor character and lack of policy knowledge to be substantial reasons not to support him in the upcoming election.

Nonetheless, I find the prospect of a president Hillary Clinton to be positively frightening, to the extent that I might actually consider voting for Mr. Trump in the end. I take no pleasure in this, and neither should any of his supporters that the only reason some of us might in the end pull a lever for him is because the alternative is so horrifying.

I remain unconvinced that a Trump presidency would not be nearly as horrifying. But the one reason, the one thing that might tip the balance for me in the end is the Supreme Court.  In truth, I have no idea what Trump would do if provided the opportunity to nominate a justice to the court. Neither does anyone else. That is as frightening as anything else about the man, who remains a cipher in terms of his actual beliefs, assuming he has any.

In any event, I am going to return to enjoying my 25th wedding anniversary vacation with my lovely wife, and enjoy some fine food and beverages here in Quebec and watch the convention tonight - unfortunately on CNN - the only news station we can get here, which is a hoot and a half but that's another story...

I am especially looking forward to watching the speech from the man who should've been the GOP nominee by all rights, Ted Cruz.  I expect from him a speech full of substance and not rancor.  And no endorsement, either.

You are a good man Andy! 

Congratulations to you and your bride!

Go and enjoy your vacation! This place will still be here when you get back!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mlizzy

• Rosary for Peace
« Reply #169 on: July 20, 2016, 06:32:26 pm »
Does anyone else have this (somewhat irrational) premonition that DT is going to walk out on stage Thursday, say "You all are a bunch of suckers, thus endeth the GOP, enjoy the Clintons,"  drop the mic, then walk out?

LOL ~ I've had a similar premonition, yes!
America needs no words from me to see how your decision in Roe v. Wade has deformed a great nation. The so-called right to abortion has pitted mothers against their children and women against men. Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being's entitlement by virtue of his humanity. The right to life does not depend, and must not be declared to be contingent, on the pleasure of anyone else, not even a parent or a sovereign. -Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Offline Bunny Watson

« Reply #170 on: July 20, 2016, 06:32:57 pm »
That's a relief.  He's not due for a colonoscopy till next year!

"Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all night. Don't forget to tip your waiter!" :beer:

PS - that's what you should have added to your post. :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 06:34:48 pm by Bunny Watson »

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #171 on: July 20, 2016, 06:33:34 pm »
sinkspur... I am trying to find the person with the right set of keys.  Bear with us.

Try the janitor.  I think he has a desk in the basement next to the boiler.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

geronl

« Reply #172 on: July 20, 2016, 06:33:42 pm »

I remain unconvinced that a Trump presidency would not be nearly as horrifying. But the one reason, the one thing that might tip the balance for me in the end is the Supreme Court.  In truth, I have no idea what Trump would do if provided the opportunity to nominate a justice to the court.

He's a lefty, a pro-abortion, pro-gay, pro-tranny in the girls bathroom liberal.

What kind of judges do you think he'd appoint?

liberal ones, of course.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #173 on: July 20, 2016, 06:34:34 pm »
Hello, all.

Good to see you andy!

Now go away and do........ stuff............. with your wife.  :smokin:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #174 on: July 20, 2016, 06:35:27 pm »
You are a Trump realist like many of us.   We will vote for Trump and hope he can be steered toward the constitution. 

SC is key.

Hello, all.

(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?