Author Topic: Trump’s Depressed Convention  (Read 514 times)

Offline sinkspur

Trump’s Depressed Convention
« on: July 20, 2016, 01:30:08 am »
https://www.commentarymagazine.com/politics-ideas/campaigns-elections/donald-trump-depressed-nominated-convention/

Trump’s Depressed Convention

JOHN PODHORETZ / JULY 19, 2016

CLEVELAND—I’ve been going to conventions, Republican and Democratic, as a journalist for more than 30 years. One of the cheeriest and most delightful moments at any convention is the roll call of the states, in which high-spirited delegates from each state praise their teams, their leading industrial product, and their political histories before declaring their support for “the next president of the United States.” I’ve been there for winners and losers—for Mondale in ’84, for Dole in ’96, for Kerry in ’04. I was on the convention floor for tonight’s roll call. And I have to report I have never seen nor experienced a more subdued, less enthusiastic nominating moment than the one just now for Donald Trump.

When the crowd cheered, it cheered listlessly. There was little buzz and no energy in a crowded atmosphere that usually crackles with hope and expectation. In part, that was due to the haphazard way in which the roll was called, and the delegate numbers were tallied. A well-run convention has all this planned out meticulously beforehand and knows the final count to the number as it goes. That did not appear to be the case, as the math was performed by hand by two officials at a desk on stage, one of them in a large cowboy hat. There were enervating time gaps between the delegate announcements, and a sense that all was not going quite as it should.

And when Trump’s son, Donald Jr., announced the delegate allocation from New York State, putting his father over the top, there was no planned or spontaneous demonstration—merely a strange baseball game-like visual on the Jumbotron on stage that read “Over The Top.”

And then, when the roll call was over, Speaker Paul Ryan came to the stage and asked if there were any states that wished to change their votes. At which point a delegate from Alaska announced his state’s delegate count (favoring Ted Cruz, who won the state) had been recorded incorrectly—and deliberately so. As I write, action has been suspended for ten minutes as convention officials weirdly went through an unnecessary process to ensure all of Alaska’s delegates were assigned to Trump.

So here’s what we have: An unenthusiastic convention floor, a Trump apparatus that doesn’t make sure the nominee’s wife is speaking new words, and a convention management system that didn’t get the most elementary process wired.

This matters because the delegates on the floor of the convention are the worker bees of the party—the people who work their hearts out to raise money and get others to volunteer and help them corral other voters. Their enthusiasm is crucial to generating the political momentum neighborhood by neighborhood across the country. If they are depressed, that depression is going to affect the election.

And they are. They are depressed.

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline ConstitutionRose

Re: Trump’s Depressed Convention
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 01:41:22 am »
So I am not the only one that thought the volume was turned way down compared to previous Conventions.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 01:42:06 am by ConstitutionRose »
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 01:44:17 am »
Funny, it was loud for those not biased against Trump. Face it, Trump supporters way outnumbered the tiny handful anti's.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

geronl

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 06:28:11 am »
They stole the delegate votes. They are evil fascists.

Trump should go down in flames for this alone, and a million other reasons on top of it.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 04:34:13 pm »
Funny, it was loud for those not biased against Trump. Face it, Trump supporters way outnumbered the tiny handful anti's.

We'll never know, will we?  Your side prevented any fair vote being held.  I'm sure you're proud to be on the side of Trump's Storm Department.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 04:40:42 pm »
We'll never know, will we?  Your side prevented any fair vote being held.  I'm sure you're proud to be on the side of Trump's Storm Department.
Facts: 12 out of 112 on the Rules committee. 10 Percent at best of all delegates. There is no way there were more antis in any real world context. We saw all of them crowding around the microphones - 3 states and they were not many.

So the trick they pulled of crowding the microphones did not offset their visible and objective tiny number.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 04:41:19 pm »
I'd be depressed, too.

These delegates are now expected to work their hind ends off in an attempt to drag a disastrous, unelectable candidate across the finish line.  Most will work like good soldiers, but they very likely know it'll be for naught, because hundreds of hours of hard work will be lost with the next brainless gaffe by the lead candidate.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 04:49:42 pm »
Facts: 12 out of 112 on the Rules committee. 10 Percent at best of all delegates. There is no way there were more antis in any real world context. We saw all of them crowding around the microphones - 3 states and they were not many.

So the trick they pulled of crowding the microphones did not offset their visible and objective tiny number.
You do know you're making up those numbers, I'm sure.  As to "10 percent at best,"  we'll never know--your Storm Department shut down any possibility of finding that out.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!