Author Topic: Defeated anti-Trump delegates vow trouble during the convention  (Read 3730 times)

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
By Ed O'Keefe July 15 at 11:39 PM   

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/not-so-fast-defeated-anti-trump-delegates-vow-trouble-during-the-convention/2016/07/15/65cbaea4-4aa3-11e6-bdb9-701687974517_story.html

CLEVELAND — The Never Trump agitators have been defeated, but they say they’re not going away.

Republicans who failed to change party rules here this week and stop Donald Trump from winning the party’s presidential nomination are threatening to cause chaos on the floor of the national convention next week. Bruised by the way party leaders handled debate on a series of proposed rule changes, leaders of anti-Trump groups vowed Friday to find ways to draw at least some political blood when the party meeting begins Monday.

The options are limited, and attempts to cause trouble at political conventions are usually quickly thwarted. But anti-Trump activists who spent weeks trying to play within the party structure now say they will do what Trump hates the most — find a way to embarrass him.

“If they thought they were going to have the nice, unified kumbaya show, they just completely guaranteed they’re not going to have it,” said Kendal Unruh, a GOP delegate from Colorado who led an anti-Trump group.

During a marathon meeting Thursday, Unruh and a small band of like-minded delegates repeatedly failed in attempts to strip Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus of some of his authority and enact rules that would reopen the nomination fight and put Trump at risk. The RNC and the Trump campaign banded together, agreeing to help preserve policies enacted by Priebus during his six years as chairman and stop attempts to unbind delegates to the results of state caucuses and primaries.
   MORE AT LINK

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
Re: Defeated anti-Trump delegates vow trouble during the convention
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 01:30:33 pm »
TRUMP = GOP-E

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 01:34:13 pm »
Trump = grass root primary voters choice. Anti-Trump LEADERSHIP = cheap labor Establishment.
Those are the facts.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline LMAO

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 01:57:57 pm »
TRUMP = GOP-E

Not so much during the primaries but as time goes on, it'll become more and more apparent that's the case. In fact, little hints of it are creeping out now that the nomination is his. I just don't think the government paying for health care, protectionist trade policies, expanding federal government, and making great deals with the likes of Shumer and Pelosi are the cures for what ails us

But as for the topic, I am against what the anti Trump delegates are trying to do. Trump is the nominee and any attempt to change that is just making a bigger mess of an unfortunate situation
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 02:01:34 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 02:13:18 pm »
As I said on another thread..
What if your candidate won, fair and square, and Mitt and his gang tried to railroad your guy?

Would that still be OK? **nononono* **nononono*

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline LMAO

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 02:19:12 pm »
What if your candidate won, fair and square, and Mitt and his gang tried to railroad your guy?

I did reply on the other thread and in short, no, that would not be ok.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 02:20:55 pm »

Nobody did that, to McCain or Romney, though they were both disliked.

This only proves the depths of disgust there is with Trump in the GOP.  I know Priebus and the other buffoons in the RNC are trying to put a pretty face on this Convention, but there is no question that the Republican Party is more divided now than at any time in three generations.   And that division is not going to be cured by a VP pick.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

HonestJohn

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 02:23:47 pm »

No candidate that receives less than 50% of the primary vote should be our candidate, period.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 02:30:39 pm »
Nobody did that, to McCain or Romney, though they were both disliked.

This only proves the depths of disgust there is with Trump in the GOP.  I know Priebus and the other buffoons in the RNC are trying to put a pretty face on this Convention, but there is no question that the Republican Party is more divided now than at any time in three generations.   And that division is not going to be cured by a VP pick.
The Reason your side is going nowhere is because the leadership of it is more disliked than Trump. Its the Open Border Cheap Labor Establishment and Liberals. Pretty dammed hard to support the anti-Trump movement when its leaders are opposed to building a wall, promote sanctuary cities and are for importing more Jihad - so as to line their own pockets.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 02:32:11 pm »
No candidate that receives less than 50% of the primary vote should be our candidate, period.
So by your logic GOP cannot have a nominee since NOBODY meets your standard.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 02:32:18 pm »
It's not like Ohio is a swing state and is hosting the GOP Convention, or anything:

Here's the Convention seating chart.  Notice the blue states are front and center; Ohio is off to the side, behind Pennsylvania:

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 02:35:10 pm »

And as I said before, my candidates weren't psychopaths. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I wasn't going to post again, but since you insist on derailing threads, copy-pasting debunked talking points, and the like—and sending the message to the rest of the crowd that this kind of behavior is OK—then consider this my opus.

Again, you can kiss my backside goodbye.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 02:38:01 pm »
It's not like Ohio is a swing state and is hosting the GOP Convention, or anything:

Here's the Convention seating chart.  Notice the blue states are front and center; Ohio is off to the side, behind Pennsylvania:

So By Loyalty.. Logical. If they want to sit at the adults table they have to earn the right.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2016, 02:54:22 pm »
Personnaly I would like to see the entire method of electing a nominee done away with. Scrap the whole damn thing. One big reason using my state of WA as an example, by the time we get to vote in the primary, We have only one name left on the ballot. All the other  choices where eliminated by sates on the east coast. How fair is that?
   If there are 17 people running, all states should have the opportunity to vote on all 17, then eliminate all but the top 4 or 5.     We have unreliable polls and TV stations holding debates decide our potential nominees for us then.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2016, 03:08:33 pm »
So By Loyalty.. Logical. If they want to sit at the adults table they have to earn the right.

Just like a Trump supporter to consider the liberals as the "more loyal" ones.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2016, 03:10:30 pm »

And that the states most electoral friendly to Trump are closest to the stage........
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2016, 03:11:55 pm »
And that the states most electoral friendly to Trump are closest to the stage........

Huh?  California?  New York?  New Jersey? 

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2016, 03:20:21 pm »
Huh?  California?  New York?  New Jersey?

Sorry Sink, I meant electoral friendly in the primaries.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Axel

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2016, 04:12:42 pm »
It's getting more difficult to separate the #NeverTrump group from your garden variety liberal. They certainly have learned how to protest fruitlessly and have mastered the ad hominem attack. The delegates need to accept the fact that they lost. They're not any different from delusional #stillsanders supporters or the #remain voters from the UK. There's room for you in the tent, but not if you're going to act like a spoiled child because you didn't get your way.
"The Gutter Rat's going to continue to trash Romney, and Romney's going to tell the country why he should be president.

And Romney is going to win" - Sinkspur's incredible insight into the 2012 election

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2016, 04:30:34 pm »
It's getting more difficult to separate the #NeverTrump group from your garden variety liberal. ...  There's room for you in the tent, but not if you're going to act like a spoiled child because you didn't get your way.

Fortunately, that is not your call.  I am not part of any "group" that calls themselves NeverTrump and I certainly am not a liberal, garden variety or otherwise. These feelings I have about Trump were caused by no one but Trump.  I tried, I assure you.  He made it clear that there was no room for me on the Trump Bus.  Well, OK that's the way it's going to be for a whole lot of reasons that keep on coming.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2016, 04:40:51 pm »
Facts:
1. Just before the unbinding vote there was a binding vote. Only 25 Anti-Trumps existed to vote against the mandatory binding vote.
2. When the Unbinding vote occurred it was already dead which is why it only garnered 12 votes. See Point 1.
3. The Rules Committee had the largest concentration of dedicated anti-Trumps on it per primary Strategy. And that was shown to be 12 out of 112.
4. The leadership of the Anti-Trump group are ALL composed of Cheap Labor Establishment opposed to Trumps Illegal platform - this includes the Mormon Church leadership who is behind Romney, et al.
5. There is no evidential support that supports the argument the total Trump-opposing delegates in the main body will be higher then those already required to vote for somebody else per the primary results.
6. Grassroots are the voters who voted for Trump. It includes Christian conservative with principles.
7. The anti-Trumps in the convention are not seen as good conservative people doing the right thing, but tools of the Establishment trying to protect the crooks in DC.

Offline Axel

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2016, 04:51:04 pm »
Fortunately, that is not your call.  I am not part of any "group" that calls themselves NeverTrump and I certainly am not a liberal, garden variety or otherwise. These feelings I have about Trump were caused by no one but Trump.  I tried, I assure you.  He made it clear that there was no room for me on the Trump Bus.  Well, OK that's the way it's going to be for a whole lot of reasons that keep on coming.

Personally, I wasn't referring to you, because you're not a delegate to my knowledge. I don't know why you feel like there's no room for you on the Trump Train, but you can't always get what you want. Regardless, Trump didn't need your support, and I don't see him losing Texas in November either. Which that is exactly my point to the delegates, actually. Either get on board, or get left behind. Trump did not need their vote, either, because he already has an absolute majority. Trump might not embrace all of your political beliefs, but he's the most conservative candidate out there and most importantly he has a great chance to win. He has made many appeals to those within the party who do not like him, but I think its mostly personal dislike rather than ideological. They don't like his bombast and the fact that he isn't one of them (a politician).
"The Gutter Rat's going to continue to trash Romney, and Romney's going to tell the country why he should be president.

And Romney is going to win" - Sinkspur's incredible insight into the 2012 election

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2016, 04:51:34 pm »

That would depend on your definition of Fair and Square.

Like so much else, Trump and his supporters have their own definitions.

I am for all sorts of havoc at the Convention.  We should at least protest this ridiculous candidate and not go down without a fight.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2016, 04:58:47 pm »
Personnaly I would like to see the entire method of electing a nominee done away with. Scrap the whole damn thing. One big reason using my state of WA as an example, by the time we get to vote in the primary, We have only one name left on the ballot. All the other  choices where eliminated by sates on the east coast. How fair is that?
   If there are 17 people running, all states should have the opportunity to vote on all 17, then eliminate all but the top 4 or 5.     We have unreliable polls and TV stations holding debates decide our potential nominees for us then.

Excellent post and great points.

I am hoping that this fiasco of a primary will rouse people to abandon the archaic primary system we now use.

This system gave us Trump.  He got all his early primary victories because of name recognition, massive free media, novelty voting and 17 candidates.  Even with this advantage, Trump never got a majority or even close.  He won most of the early primaries with about a third of the vote.  Fair and Square? 

By the time the gloss had worn off Trump and people were seeing him for what he is, it was too late.

Iowa?  Please.  All the states should vote at the same time and far enough into the primary season so that people have an opportunity to properly assess the history and values of the candidates.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2016, 05:00:43 pm »

That's the issue.  He hasn't won.  That's the problem that seems to make the Trump supporters nervous and the Trump not-supporters angry. 

He may win it in the convention, but much of that win will be attributable to repetition of "he won".  Say it often enough and apparently people will just roll over and say "uncle".