Author Topic: Retrobituary: Olive Oatman, the Pioneer Girl Who Became a Marked Woman  (Read 794 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library via Wikimedia // Public Domain

About a century and a half ago, some Native American tribes of the Southwest used facial tattoos as spiritual rites of passage. Through a series of strange tragedies (and some possible triumphs), a white Mormon teenager who was traveling with her family through the area in the mid-19th century ended up sporting one too, a symbol of a complicated dual life she could never quite shake.

In 1851, the Oatman family, having broken from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, was traveling through southeastern California and western Arizona, looking for a place to settle. As newly inducted Brewsterites—followers of Mormon rebel James C. Brewster—they’d been advised that California was, in fact, the true “intended gathering place” for Mormons, rather than Utah.

Sure enough, about 90 miles east of Yuma, on the banks of the Gila River, the family was waylaid by a group of Native Americans, likely Yavapais, who asked them for food and tobacco. The details of what happened next aren’t known, but the encounter somehow turned into an attack. Apparently, all of the Oatmans were murdered—all except Lorenzo, age 15, who was beaten unconscious and left for dead.

Or so it seemed. When Lorenzo came to, he found six bodies, not eight: Two of his sisters, 14-year-old Olive and 7-year-old Mary Ann, were nowhere to be seen. Badly injured, Lorenzo walked to a settlement and had his wounds treated, then rejoined the group of other Mormon emigrants, who returned with the teenager to the scene of the crime. Because the volcanic soil was rocky and difficult to dig, it was not possible to bury the Oatmans, so cairns were built around their bodies instead.

But where were Olive and Mary Ann?

The Yavapais had taken the sisters, very much alive, to their village about 60 miles away, along with selected prizes from the Oatmans’ wagon. Tied with ropes, the girls had been made to walk for several days through the desert, which triggered serious dehydration and weakened them in general. When they asked for water or rest, they were poked with lances and forced to keep walking. Once they reached the Yavapai village, the girls were treated as slaves, made to forage for food and firewood. The tribe’s children would burn them with smoldering sticks while they worked, and they were beaten often. The girls, Olive later said, were sure they’d be killed...

http://mentalfloss.com/article/81424/retrobituary-olive-oatman-pioneer-girl-who-became-marked-woman

I read about Olive years ago, and when I say an episode of Hell on Wheels, I went back and re-read.  Fascinating story. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Interesting story. I am not surprised that she had psychological troubles throughout her life.

Any inconsistencies in her stories, should be forgiven, in light of her age, life, etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
An interesting tale, indeed.

I wonder if Olive's story about being captured by Indians -- and later returned to the "white world" -- gave Tom Berger any inspiration for his novel, "Little Big Man"...?

Offline kalee

There was a character based on Olive Oatman in the series Hell on Wheels.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The Boy Captives is another story of children raised by indians, but in Central Texas.  I found it in a 5 & 10 in a small town in Texas.  Fascinating read.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1224046.The_Boy_Captives