Author Topic: Daring photographer captures haunting pictures from inside Fukushima Exclusion Zone  (Read 465 times)

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
More than five years after Japan suffered an earthquake and tsunami  that caused an explosion and triple nuclear meltdown at the power plant in Fukushima, the town remains abandoned.

The 12-mile radius surrounding the old power plant has become an exclusion zone with varying levels of security and prohibited access. That fact didn’t stop 27-year-old Malaysian photographer Keow Wee Loong from exploring the abandoned area and taking a series of images and video from inside the heart of the exclusion zone.

“I wanted to explore the unknown and experience what it is like to be in a ghost town. When I was young, I always dreamed of visiting a shopping mall with no people in it to see what it would feel like. When I arrived in the city, there was dust, spider webs and severe structural damage due to the earthquake that had triggered the nuclear meltdown. It wasn’t like how I had imagined my dream,” Keow explained.

[excerpted]

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/news/2016/07/14/daring-photographer-captures-haunting-pictures-inside-fukushima-exclusion-zone/#ixzz4EPGbS9x2

Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.