Author Topic: Astronauts are returning from space with mysterious eye problems  (Read 1793 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.businessinsider.com/what-happens-to-your-eyes-in-space-2016-7

Astronauts are returning from space with mysterious eye problems
ScienceAlert

Fiona MacDonald, ScienceAlert

Space does plenty of whacky things to astronauts' bodies, like deteriorating their muscle mass and making them on average 5 centimeters (2 inches) taller.

But scientists have uncovered another, more subtle side effect — space is totally ruining astronauts' perfect eyesight.

In fact, 80 percent of astronauts who come back from long-duration missions display symptoms of a mysterious eye condition that causes nearsightedness, Shayla Love reports for The Washington Post.

While it's a myth that all astronauts have to have natural 20/20 vision (they're allowed to have corrective laser surgery) by the time they launch, their vision does need to be flawless — so this problem could be a big issue for future human spaceflight missions, like the one hoping to get humans to Mars by the 2030s.

more

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline kevindavis007

Re: Astronauts are returning from space with mysterious eye problems
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 11:31:01 pm »
Two words Artificial Gravity.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

geronl

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 11:37:41 pm »
You are probably correct that micro-gravity is a prime suspect, but I wonder if the radiation might contribute as well.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 11:54:45 pm »
You are probably correct that micro-gravity is a prime suspect, but I wonder if the radiation might contribute as well.

I follow Robert Zubrin, he says the radiation threat is kinda overblown.. However, I think by the time we are ready to go to Mars, we will have those problems resolved..

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 12:00:39 am »
Two words Artificial Gravity.

Yup a simple spin would do a long way toward alleviating the gravity problem. Constant thrust would be better but is a ways off.
(One of the things I like about The Expanse series is the creation of artificial gravity with thrust)

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 12:04:55 am »
Yup a simple spin would do a long way toward alleviating the gravity problem. Constant thrust would be better but is a ways off.
(One of the things I like about The Expanse series is the creation of artificial gravity with thrust)

Something like in Interstellar.. Constant spinning.

Offline kevindavis007

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 12:16:16 am »
A change in eye pressure, i.e., the shape of the eyes, is what changes vision from presbyopic to myopic. It has nothing to do with gravity.

My opinion is that lower than normal air-pressure is cause the eyeball to bulge leading to vision changes, for what it is worth. 
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 12:27:00 am »

HonestJohn

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 12:34:23 am »

Radiation would cause cataracts as it would cloud the lenses in the eyes.

HonestJohn

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 12:37:43 am »

The lack of gravity is probably causing degeneration of the eye mucles, which would make it difficult for the astronauts to change their eye's focal point.  Kinda like how, as one gets older, one will need bifocals to focus on the up-close as opposed to the far away.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 12:44:42 am »

I follow Robert Zubrin, he says the radiation threat is kinda overblown.. However, I think by the time we are ready to go to Mars, we will have those problems resolved..

I hope to live long enough to see that happen. 

geronl

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 05:06:01 am »
I wonder if constantly recycled canned air might also add to this.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 12:40:43 pm »
A change in eye pressure, i.e., the shape of the eyes, is what changes vision from presbyopic to myopic. It has nothing to do with gravity.

My opinion is that lower than normal air-pressure is cause the eyeball to bulge leading to vision changes, for what it is worth.

If just pressure were the issue, then you would see the same problem with people living at high altitudes, or more appropriately dramatically changing the altitude they live at.

Edit:  I wasn't sure so I had to look it up, but confirmed that ISS is pressurized to 1atm (14.7psi).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 12:48:57 pm by Just_Victor »
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 08:30:04 pm »
If just pressure were the issue, then you would see the same problem with people living at high altitudes, or more appropriately dramatically changing the altitude they live at.

Edit:  I wasn't sure so I had to look it up, but confirmed that ISS is pressurized to 1atm (14.7psi).

Submarine sailors experience the same nearsightedness after long (6 month) deployments. Because they have lived so long never focusing more than 30ft away, they lose the ability to see at distance. For the sailors, this is only temporary until their eyes can adjust. It should be same for the astronauts, unless some permanent change has occurred to the shape, controlling muscles, or hardness of the eye. But again, this is not my area of expertise, so I'm just guessing.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 08:44:58 pm »
They just can't see dickin' around in Low Earth Orbit any longer...

:beer:

Offline kidd

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 02:57:54 pm »

In space, no one can see you scream