Author Topic: Huge Black Hole Wakes Up, Devours A Star And Emits X-rays. A dormant, supermassive black hole suddenly wakes up to destroy a nearby, wandering star.  (Read 458 times)

rangerrebew

Huge Black Hole Wakes Up, Devours A Star And Emits X-rays
A dormant, supermassive black hole suddenly wakes up to destroy a nearby, wandering star.

By Staff Writer | Jun 24, 2016 01:21 PM EDT
Supermassive black hole
In this artist's rendering, a thick accretion disk has formed around a supermassive black hole following the tidal disruption of a star that wandered too close. Stellar debris has fallen toward the black hole and collected into a thick chaotic disk of hot gas.

(Photo : NASA/Swift/Aurore Simonnet, Sonoma State University)

For the first time, astronomers from the University of Michigan and University of Maryland have mapped the flow of gas near a huge black hole, Swift J1644+57. This one suddenly woke up from a "dormant state" to destroy and swallow a star nearby.

Most of the black holes in the universe are dormant. "But sometimes a star wanders too close to a dormant black hole and the ensuing feeding frenzy, known as a tidal disruption event, sets off spectacular fireworks," according to scientists. That is what happened outside Swift J1644+57.

There were X-rays that bounced from within the walls of its accretion disk, following an event of a tidal disruption, and they were documented by astronomers.

http://www.hngn.com/articles/201197/20160624/black-hole-wakes-devours-star-x-rays.htm

READ MORE
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 05:57:49 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline flowers

Huge Black Hole Wakes Up, Devours  thought that was about obama and his pals BLM types.  :king:

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Huge Black Hole Wakes Up, Devours  thought that was about obama and his pals BLM types.  :king:
Silly me, I thought it was about moochelle going off her diet again.

Offline flowers