Author Topic: Potential Trump VP on Abortion: 'Women Have to Be Able to Choose'  (Read 9080 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Potential Trump VP on Abortion: 'Women Have to Be Able to Choose'

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/potential-trump-vp-abortion-women-have-be-able-choose-n606691?cid=sm_fb

Donald Trump is formally vetting a retired general as a potential running mate, but the 33-year Army veteran's views on social issues are sure to draw an outcry from Republicans already wary about Trump's conservative credentials.

Retired Lt. Gen Michael T. Flynn, who most recently served as the director of the Defense Intelligence Agency, is being vetted as a last-minute addition to Trump's pool of possible vice presidential picks, NBC News confirms.

But on ABC News Sunday, just one day after a Washington Post story outlined Trump's increased interest in selecting the iconoclastic former intelligence chief, Flynn suggested that he is in favor of abortion rights -- a position anathema to social conservatives.

"Abortion, I think it's a, I think for women, and these are difficult issues, but I think women have to be able to choose," Flynn said, when asked whether he believed in a woman's right to an abortion.

Marjorie Dannenfelser, the president of the anti-abortion group Susan B. Anthony List, said in a statement that Flynn's comments were disqualifying.

"General Flynn has disqualified himself from consideration as Vice President. His pro-abortion position is unacceptable and would undermine the pro-life policy commitments that Mr. Trump has made throughout the campaign," she said.

exc

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Re: Potential Trump VP on Abortion: 'Women Have to Be Able to Choose'
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 04:24:59 pm »
That's a deal breaker for me.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 04:31:06 pm »

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 04:36:16 pm »

What possible influence can the VPOTUS have on the abortion issue?

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 04:40:56 pm »

Notice how similar his speech pattern is to Trump? Lots of unfinished sentences allow the listener to fill in the blanks any way they choose.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 04:41:15 pm by Cripplecreek »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 04:46:15 pm »

A very reasonable question.   ^-^

Offline plewis1250

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 04:50:19 pm »

Well, for starters, if Trump is impeached or worse, he becomes the President.

Pro-abortion registered democrats usually do not do well for Republican turnout, especially when running as President and Vice President of the GOP...
The pecking order: Christian, American, Conservative

Silver Pines

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 05:01:57 pm »

Trump himself is a deal breaker for me based (among other things) on his statement that he would not ban partial-birth abortion.  I simply don't believe that his opinion has changed.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 05:02:39 pm »
Well, for starters, if Trump is impeached or worse, he becomes the President.

:facepalm2:

Silver Pines

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 05:04:20 pm »
A very reasonable question.   ^-^

It's also reasonable to consider whether God approves when we put our support behind such an individual.  We shouldn't kid ourselves that it's  inconsequential  in His eyes.

I fear Him a lot more than I fear Hillary Clinton.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 05:07:20 pm »
It's also reasonable to consider whether God approves when we put our support behind such an individual.  We shouldn't kid ourselves that it's  inconsequential  in His eyes.

I fear Him a lot more than I fear Hillary Clinton.

Mostly because in the eyes of the***********

Mod edit: FInd better words to express thoughts
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 06:08:07 pm by MOD3 »

Silver Pines

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 05:17:24 pm »
Mostly because in the eyes ******

Yes, if he believes a pro-abort VP is okay, why, then, it's okay.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 06:08:44 pm by MOD3 »

Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 05:19:22 pm »

:facepalm2:

Hey face it.... when it comes to his orangeness one must think of ass/ass/ination insurance.   

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 05:20:42 pm »
No way do I vote for a pro-choicer wherever on the ticket or in whatever party, Gary Johnson, no. etc.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 05:22:30 pm »

The problem is that he agrees with Trump on the issue.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2016, 05:23:49 pm »
Yes, if he believes a pro-abort VP is okay, why, then, it's okay.

They claim its Trump's party now and we get a former male Olympian in a skirt and heels, the RNC trying to ease the GOP platform stance on gay marriage, and now we're going to welcome abortion through the gates.

Yup, Trumpers are doing a bang up job.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2016, 05:24:14 pm »
Trump himself is a deal breaker for me based (among other things) on his statement that he would not ban partial-birth abortion.  I simply don't believe that his opinion has changed.

Of course it hasn't changed.  He has proven to be completely clueless on life issues.

It simply doesn't matter to him........... other than the fact that he supports Planned Parenthood, and has said that he is "completely pro-choice."

Why wouldn't he pick a soul mate to be his VP candidate?

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2016, 05:24:30 pm »
From my understanding, Condoleeza Rice and Colin Power have pro-choice views, they almost could have been considered for the Vice Presidential slot in the past.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2016, 05:25:22 pm »
From my understanding, Condoleeza Rice and Colin Power have pro-choice views, they almost could have been considered for the Vice Presidential slot in the past.

But they weren't, were they?  So what relevance does that have to the discussion?

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2016, 05:26:44 pm »
You hypcrites!

You know damned well the gopE is pro-gay and pro-abortion.

You only bring this up every four years fishing for a few 'christian' votes, then drop it instantly the day after the election.

HYPOCRITES!

Laura Bush For Gay Marriage & Pro-Choice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtNabdDx_mU

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2016, 05:29:59 pm »
But they weren't, were they?  So what relevance does that have to the discussion?

Actually, I suspect that if you go back and look, the people who have chucked their panties up on Trump's stage were flinging their panties at Powell and Rice then.

A certain segment of the population can always be counted on to have a crush on the latest political Justin Beiber of the moment. Just like 12 year old girls.

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2016, 05:31:34 pm »

On January 25, 2015, Bloomberg News‘ Mark Halperin asked Trump to state his position on abortion. Trump answered: “I’m pro-life, with the caveats. You have to have the caveats.”

When asked if abortion was murder, Trump replied, “No … with caveats, life of the mother, incest, and rape.”

When asked if an abortion performed outside of those exceptions was murder, Trump emphasized three times, “it depends when.”

Offline musiclady

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2016, 05:34:39 pm »
You hypcrites!

You know damned well the gopE is pro-gay and pro-abortion.

You only bring this up every four years fishing for a few 'christian' votes, then drop it instantly the day after the election.

HYPOCRITES!

Laura Bush For Gay Marriage & Pro-Choice!

You keep posting that COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT post, even though it has been countered over and over and over again.

What Laura Bush thinks has NO bearing on the discussion, you Trump-lover.  SHE was not the President, and her HUSBAND was very, very, very pro-life.  It was proven over and over and over again.

TRUMP is PRO-ABORTION, happy.

TRUMP is PRO-ABORTION.

TRUMP is PRO-ABORTION.

Laura Bush is just an ex-FLOTUS who didn't say a word about the subject when she was FLOTUS.

You can't defend your PRO-ABORTION candidate.   So stop posting stupid stuff about Laura Bush, who pretty much hates politics.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2016, 05:35:55 pm »
Actually, I suspect that if you go back and look, the people who have chucked their panties up on Trump's stage were flinging their panties at Powell and Rice then.

A certain segment of the population can always be counted on to have a crush on the latest political Justin Beiber of the moment. Just like 12 year old girls.

HAPPY clearly has a crush on his hero, Donald Bieber......  and he doesn't give a rip about how his beloved is PRO-ABORTION.....   ****sheep****

Edited to add:  "HAPPY" has committed overt blasphemy on this board by comparing Trump to Jesus, throwing out the money-changers in the temple (ironic, isn't it, since Trump is a money changer himself?), and calling those of us who oppose his idol Trump "hypocritical Pharisees" for daring to go against his god.

He's not just unconcerned that Trump is pro-abortion.  He condemns all of us who won't vote for a pro-abortion candidate as being rotten ourselves.

To a rabid Trump supporter, black is white and white is black.  They are no different than any liberal out there.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 06:23:05 pm by musiclady »

Offline RedHead

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2016, 05:37:46 pm »

Reinforce the president's pro-choice beliefs?