Author Topic: Gen. Robert E. Lee is his namesake ancestor. On Sunday, he’ll preach about the evils of racism. by Rob Lee  (Read 462 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Gen. Robert E. Lee is his namesake ancestor. On Sunday, he’ll preach about the evils of racism.

Over 150 years ago, my family made a choice, one that defined a war, a nation and the realities we still face today. I’m a descendant of the Lees of Virginia. Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee is someone whose historical personhood I hear about every day, because I live with his name.

Growing up in the South, I was taught to be proud of Lee. To this day, when I mention the shame I feel, people are quick to call him a “good man” whose “actions were for states’ rights.” These veiled excuses for what happened don’t work and are trite.

I can’t do much about what that Robert Lee did in the 19th century. But this Robert Lee can do something different today. As a Christian pastor, on Sunday, this descendant of the Lees of Virginia will step into a pulpit in Raleigh, N.C., and say the names “Alton Sterling” and “Philando Castile.” Because enough is enough.

I’m tired of the careless conversations where racism rears its ugly head. I’m tired of the name Robert Lee equating only with someone who fought to divide the nation on the basis of race. Most importantly, I’m tired of young black men being gunned down by police.

More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2016/07/09/as-gen-robert-e-lees-namesake-i-want-to-reclaim-my-name-for-racial-justice/

The Pastor's heart is in the right place. Yet, we all must be careful in rushing to judgement.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 03:29:33 pm by TomSea »

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
The author is a disgrace to the Lee name.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Online mountaineer

I’m tired of the name Robert Lee equating only with someone who fought to divide the nation on the basis of race. Most importantly, I’m tired of young black men being gunned down by police.
The racial hatred exhibited by #BLM is Gen. Lee's fault, somehow.  :thud:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org