Author Topic: Close to a million Indians immigrated to the US since 2000  (Read 777 times)

rangerrebew

Close to a million Indians immigrated to the US since 2000
« on: July 08, 2016, 12:11:16 pm »
Close to a million Indians immigrated to the US since 2000

July 7, 2016

Indians constitute 2.1 % of the 80.5 million immigrants who came to the county in the past 134 years.

By Jayshal Sood

Between 2000 and 2014, the United States issued 926,257 green cards to Indian nationals, according to a report by the US Department of Homeland Security.

In comparison only 674, 221 Indians were awarded the Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) status in the previous 160 years, from FY 1840 to FY 2000.

Overall, more than 1.6 million Indians have immigrated to the US on LPR status in the past 134 years. The figure, however, looks tiny considering that it is just 2.1 % of the total immigration (80.5 million) to the country during these years.

http://www.americanbazaaronline.com/...ce-2000414904/

READ MORE

Offline bolobaby

Re: Close to a million Indians immigrated to the US since 2000
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 12:58:06 pm »
I'll take Indians over Mexicans any day.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 01:08:30 pm »
>>I'll take Indians over Mexicans any day.<<

For me that depends on how you define "Mexicans". When talking about people of Mexican-born parents or grandparents,I have to admit I probably like a  higher percentage of them that I have met than any other group of people,including whites. And I lived in a "Mexican neighborhood" in Denver for several years.

On the other hand,the "Dot" Indians I have me in this country have always been arrogant jerks with a superiority complex that I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire.

Don't believe me? Go to a Anoushka Shankar concert (one of Ravi Shankar's daughters. Nora Jones is another) and try to mix with the mostly dot Indian crowd before it starts or during intermission.

BTW,she is a tiny little thing that is gorgeous,but she seemed terrified at the "meet and greet/autograph signing of CD's" after the concert. I could actually see the fear in her eyes. For some reason there wasn't a single bodyguard in sight,and I am pretty sure she is used to being surrounded by bodyguards.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 01:11:04 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 01:14:07 pm »
Not surprising given India's rigid caste system. Those who have the means to immigrate are probably used to looking down on the masses.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 01:38:16 pm »
Not surprising given India's rigid caste system. Those who have the means to immigrate are probably used to looking down on the masses.

I agree. Those that sleep in the streets and eat at garbage dumps don't have the money to come here and buy motels and stop and robs.

I suspect they are like the Chinese in this respect. Very nice people if they see you as social equals or superior to people of their "station",but woe to those they see as being beneath them.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 01:38:40 pm by sneakypete »

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 02:17:29 pm »
I agree. Those that sleep in the streets and eat at garbage dumps don't have the money to come here and buy motels and stop and robs.

I suspect they are like the Chinese in this respect. Very nice people if they see you as social equals or superior to people of their "station",but woe to those they see as being beneath them.

Hm. So I wonder if my perception is skewed by the fact that I am an IT executive. They are always extremely nice to me - is that why?
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 03:14:01 pm »
Hm. So I wonder if my perception is skewed by the fact that I am an IT executive. They are always extremely nice to me - is that why?

I can only guess,but I am guessing that would be a safe bet to make. They not only see you as a member of their caste,but as a senior member.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 07:17:13 pm »
I can only guess,but I am guessing that would be a safe bet to make. They not only see you as a member of their caste,but as a senior member.

Meh. I still like them. They've all proven to be pretty good guys and gals.
1. Trump is never wrong.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 07:25:56 pm »
Meh. I still like them. They've all proven to be pretty good guys and gals.

And they are,as long as they consider you to be their equal or social superior.

Nazi's were very sociable people too,as long as you were white and a fascist.  They could even tolerate Arabs as long as the Arabs wanted to murder all the Jews.

Of course we all know what would have eventually ended up happening to the Arabs if the Nazi's had won the war,but at this point it is irrelevant.