Author Topic: New bicycles, just like a new identity  (Read 2889 times)

Offline SquirrelCutter

• Hey Moe, I'm tryin' to think but nothin' happens!
    • My homepage over on FR, if things continue as current I may find a new host.
New bicycles, just like a new identity
« on: July 08, 2016, 12:35:02 am »
Hi, I'm Chuck, I ride bikes.

(hi Chuck)

Got me a new bike build in progress. Gonna be a gooder 'un. Just as soon as my wheelset gets built. Had a little hiccup getting the hubs I want, but I have confidence in the boys over at Richardson Bike Mart, they'll git 'er done. We sorted out an issue with the order yesterday and before you know it I'm a stud again.  :tongue2:

Found a frame for one of these on eBay: http://surlybikes.com/bikes/straggler. Mine is black. 56cm, Brooks saddle, full-custom. MUAHAHAHAHA, eat my dust Lance.

I'll be changing the decal to "Strangler" as soon as possible. I like that mo betta. This little monster will have Ultegra 11-speed goodies and 42mm tires, drop bars like a road bike but an attitude like a honey badger. A cyclocross honey badger. I need a "rough roads road bike." Had a helluva a time convincing She Who Must Be Obeyed that there is a hole in my collection, but it is true. I had to promise her a new sewing machine and never to grumble when she drags me through the yarn aisle at WallyWorld, ever again. Yes Dear, I promise.  :smokin:

I have got bit on the brain by this "urban cycling" thing and that is where I spend most of my quality liesure time. I can ride from where I live in Garland up to Richardson, UTD, then down to the White Rock Creek Trail and thence to downtown Dallas. Then back to Garland. About 60 miles, pretty good ride for an old bastard like me. Optional connection over to the Trinity River and the levees, bumps it up a couple dozen miles. Anybody who knows that area will appreciate the fact this is the perfect bike for such idiocy, and yes I carry.  :patriot:

Can't wait to put this little monster on the street. Soon, maybe this weekend, I'll post a pic when it is finis.

The Cajuns have a word for crap like this: lagniappe. A little something extra.  One ring to rule them all. :beer:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 12:37:03 am by SquirrelCutter »
"Do right, and risk the consequences" -- Old Sam Houston

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

I tend to say what I think, sometimes before I think.

And, as always, my opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them.

Wingnut

Re: New bicycles, just like a new identity
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 01:20:53 am »
Hi Chuck.  I'm Wingnut and I'm a roadie.

Looks like you got a nice urban/gravel grinder going there. 

As for me ....SWMBO doesn't know it... but I have my eye one a nice Cannondale Synapse Hi-Mod Sram 22 sp beauty.  It will replace my current one which is a old out dated Sram Red 20 sp.   :whistle:

I miss riding in the metroplex.  I used to ride with the Grapevine Chain Gang.  Great bunch of guys. I moved from Keller/Southlake 10 month ago.

Post up some pix of the finished build.

Here is my old Synapse during my build.  Had Replace the wheelset with Mavic Ksyrium SL's   My fat butt kept breaking the Srams. 

My biggest fear is that when I die... my wife will sell my bikes for what it told her I payed for them....

Offline SquirrelCutter

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 09:24:32 pm »
You break wheels? Sheesh, that is hardcore. Sweet ride, though.

I tend to be pretty easy on equipment, the only thing I break are bones  :chairbang:

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 10:15:13 pm »
You break wheels? Sheesh, that is hardcore. Sweet ride, though.

I tend to be pretty easy on equipment, the only thing I break are bones  :chairbang:

Well in Srams defense those wheels would have lasted forever.....if i was 180 pound rider!

Like you I also...

Offline SquirrelCutter

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 12:40:10 am »
HAHAHAHAHAHA, that is a most awesome shirt. I will have to find one.

--George Washington

Offline SquirrelCutter

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 03:18:58 am »
Wheels got built today, went an picked them up. Told the mech I wonder how long it will take to strip those URGLY decals off with a heat gun. I mean bloody 'ell, 4 Stan's ZTR Grail red and white crap on each rim. He was all like "you are going to REMOVE those stickers?" Or my name ain't Patrick Henry, Junior.

Hope to finish most of the rest of the build tomorrow, but have to take SWMBO to WallyWorld at some point so not sure when the rubber will meet the road.

Be soon though, very soon.

--George Washington

Offline SquirrelCutter

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 12:03:07 am »
It is a bicycle! Put about half a mile on it around in front of my house. Still have a few adjustments, and wrap the bars of course, but I expect an official christening tomorrow after work.

--George Washington

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 12:09:55 am »
It is a bicycle! Put about half a mile on it around in front of my house. Still have a few adjustments, and wrap the bars of course, but I expect an official christening tomorrow after work.

Nice!   Very nice.   This is just me talking....but I hate those bars.    Even wrapped they are unworthy.  Can you find a CF set?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 12:15:04 am by Wingnut »

Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 12:41:34 am »
Be safe.  On a ride from Addison to and around White Rock Lake and back last year, I made the mistake of going down Preston Oaks for a few blocks right when the High School Bus stopped and let out.

I heard, "Knock out that white bitch!" and "Get that bitch's bike!"  They gave chase and I wasn't carrying.  I pedalled for all I was worth.  If they hadn't tired out and given up, they would have caught me on the steep uphill as I was already tired when it happened and my legs gave out on the sprint.  This, after seeing all the posters nailed to trees around Whiterock about the girl that went missing and later found dead there.

I've curtailed my riding alone in the Dallas area.  Too old and too respectful of my life these days.

Well Damn!   The only time I was worried was leaving "Gayway" park and hitting the Trinity river trail at Beach st and I-30.  There was a blind curve and an underpass where the homeless camped.  Sometime they tried to be brave and step out to confront a rider.....

Offline SquirrelCutter

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 03:53:45 am »
Be safe.  On a ride from Addison to and around White Rock Lake and back last year, I made the mistake of going down Preston Oaks for a few blocks right when the High School Bus stopped and let out.

I heard, "Knock out that white bitch!" and "Get that bitch's bike!"  They gave chase and I wasn't carrying.  I pedalled for all I was worth.  If they hadn't tired out and given up, they would have caught me on the steep uphill as I was already tired when it happened and my legs gave out on the sprint.  This, after seeing all the posters nailed to trees around Whiterock about the girl that went missing and later found dead there.

I've curtailed my riding alone in the Dallas area.  Too old and too respectful of my life these days.

Wow. Just wow. And I'm out in the river bottoms and downtown and crap like that. Glad you got away. I don't even know what to think about that. In south Oak Cliff or Redbird I would not be surprised, but dayum what you are talking about is a regular part of town.

--George Washington

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 04:00:51 am »
There is probably little market for my 1982 Nishiki Professional, cro-mo frame and Campy NR gruppo.

A few years ago I was told that some people collect older high quality bikes.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 04:11:59 am by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline SquirrelCutter

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 04:01:23 am »
Nice!   Very nice.   This is just me talking....but I hate those bars.    Even wrapped they are unworthy.  Can you find a CF set?

Yeah, the cockpit is not fully sorted yet, I had all that stuff in a box of parts so I threw it all on there. I will have to put a couple hundred miles on the little monster before I'm sure what to go for from there. It's good for now. I just want to put a couple of laps around White Rock Lake under the wheels so it feels like mine.

Weirdest thing - I let the guys at the shop put tubeless rims on there, on the offhand chance I decide to go that way someday. The Schwalbe Marathon tires I want to run would not seat their beads proplerly, so I put those Continental knobbies on there. I think maybe the rim tapes the guys at the shop sent me home with are too wide and don't let the wire-beads seat properly, or something. The folders went on there fine. I'll get that figured out, maybe I'll take the Specialized Crossroads off my 29er singlespeed and run them for a while.

I'm just glad to not have to juggle which bike to ride when I go out on an urban roam any more, I take the black one. But for now, I'm playing the urban stuff pretty close to normal neighborhoods until the BLMs settle down. My Glock 19 ain't gonna be any match for a mob. Fargin' little black snowflakes, they are so mistreated. Not.

--George Washington

Offline SquirrelCutter

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 04:02:40 am »
There is probably little market for my 1982 Nishiki Professional, cro-mo frame and Campy NR gruppo.

I'll bet you can put it on eBay or Craig's and somebody will want it, probably convert it to a fixed gear or something, but that is a worthy bike. It will find a home.

--George Washington

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 04:19:57 am »
I'll bet you can put it on eBay or Craig's and somebody will want it, probably convert it to a fixed gear or something, but that is a worthy bike. It will find a home.

I put a picture of one just like mine, in my post above. Not mine but identical model. I had some guy interested a few years ago.

I have no use anymore, but for sentimental value. In early 1983 I paid about $800, which was a discount for last year's model. Full price was about $1,200 I seem to recall. NR was one step down from SR.

Nishiki put out a Pro model each year. My model year was Japanese CM frame, Campy gruppo. The next year was Italian CM frame, Shimano top of the line gruppo. Etc.

From about 83 until 87 I rode that bike, a lot. Supplemented marathon training, a few triathlons, and hope to do the Ironman. Never got there, but was close to being prepared for that distance. Run 70+ miles per week, cycle 250+ miles per week, swim 8-12 miles per week.   
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 05:03:23 am »
Steel Is Real!

Raleigh, Trek, great bikes.

Something nice and lugged, if you want lightweight, go with Reynolds 531 tubing.  Last forever too. Aluminum really doesn't necessarily last, carbon can break. Steel is durable.

Yes, and Nishiki, Miyata, etc. were very good bikes. There are some even elite bikes like 3Rensho, Japanese bike.

Craig's List is where people sell something like an older Nishiki. Just check any city's listings. Ebay too. Yes, Craig's list has had some bad publicity, just know what you are doing, check the bike out in a public place or something.

Fuji 1983 Del Rey, 24.5 lbs. not bad.

http://classicfuji.com/DelRey_1983_Page.htm
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 05:05:03 am by TomSea »

Wingnut

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 12:46:52 pm »

The hipsters in DFW love to take those old bikes and turn them into fixies or single speeds.  So there is a market for sure.  But Hipsters are notoriously cheep so.  I know a guy who buys old vintage bikes in Southlake.  If you want his info I'll send you a PM.  He flips them.  even if he doesn't buy it he can give you a real world value on it.

Offline SquirrelCutter

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 11:07:00 pm »

Ho. Lee. Crap. You got tubulars on that thing? I guess that's about right. You know, I have never owned or ridden a bike with tubular tires. Raised on clinchers.

--George Washington

Offline SquirrelCutter

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 10:18:49 pm »
One ride - one crash. Everything was going swimmingly, rode a lap at the lake digging the 11-speed controls and as I was approaching the truck, locked up those big bad disc brakes and laid down a lurid skid, then couldn't get my foot out of the pedal and fell over :)

May need a slight adjustment there. Good thing I park over by the stables so nobody saw that. Ouch, my elbow!

--George Washington

Wingnut

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 10:43:18 pm »

May need a slight adjustment there. Good thing I park over by the stables so nobody saw that. Ouch, my elbow!

Been there done that.  Ouch... Same type of thing happened a few years back.  Installed a new set of SPD's without checking the release.  I was riding thru Arcadia Park near where the stoners play frisbee golf when one of the members of the fully baked squad wanders in front of me.  I brake and swerve to avoid him but can't unclip.....down I go. Boom.   Oh well, lesson learned.  I think that was the last time I fell.  Well.  Fell from a clipless issue any way!

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2016, 12:11:05 am »
Roadies...meh!   :tongue2:

And you don't have to worry about any ferals chasing you on the street... :laugh:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Wingnut

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2016, 12:34:20 am »
Roadies...meh!   :tongue2:

And you don't have to worry about any ferals chasing you on the street... :laugh:
Well I shy away from the area's where the amish yutes roam.  But This has happened to me before....

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 12:35:06 am by Wingnut »

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2016, 03:17:01 pm »
Well I shy away from the area's where the amish yutes roam.  But This has happened to me before....
LOL!   :silly:

Oh man, that's gonna hurt...and I see all the others in the background just watching.

Must have been one of those "watch this" moments...

We do come across these once in a while...

Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Wingnut

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2016, 03:25:10 pm »
LOL!   :silly:

Oh man, that's gonna hurt...and I see all the others in the background just watching.

Must have been one of those "watch this" moments...

We do come across these once in a while...

Oh yes.  sssssnaaaaaaaakkkkkkee.  The wife and I were riding on Lake Mineral Wells Trailway to Weatherford when we encountered a rat-ler catching some rays and eating some mice on the only concrete bridge on the trail.  Never saw my wife peddle so fast in my life.  Uggggg

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 03:29:28 pm »
One ride - one crash. Everything was going swimmingly, rode a lap at the lake digging the 11-speed controls and as I was approaching the truck, locked up those big bad disc brakes and laid down a lurid skid, then couldn't get my foot out of the pedal and fell over :)

Sorry to hear that, but I don't know of any rider who hasn't gone down at least once when riding with clips or clipless pedals. 

And yes, you were "fortunate" that none saw... :whistle:

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2016, 06:00:44 pm »
Ok, chalk up another reason not to ride road...

http://nbc4i.com/2016/07/13/bicyclist-dies-after-hitting-live-wires-near-beach/

Just damn, when it's your time...