Author Topic: The Philando Castile shooting just threw into question a central belief people have about the US policing system -- If you comply, you won't be harmed  (Read 8798 times)

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Are you a mod?

Nope. But there's no reason to go around calling people dumbasses on a public forum. Turn off the computer and go outside.

Offline kidd

I've seen a lot of questions of whether or not Mr. Castile had a permit to carry a gun.

The following confirms that he did:

http://www.startribune.com/philando-castile-had-permit-to-carry-gun/386054481/

Philando Castile had permit to carry gun

Philando Castile had a valid permit to carry a gun when he was shot and killed by a St. Anthony police officer, a source confirmed to the Star Tribune Friday.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
My gosh, even if we find out he's a good guy, how can one be cited with this many traffic violations? I see where the thousands of dollars he is said to have paid added up. Walk, ride a bike.

Singularly, most of these are not serious, to have such a high amount though is.

TRAFFIC STOP AFTER TRAFFIC STOP AFTER TRAFFIC STOP - HOW PHILANDO CASTILE WAS CONSTANTLY IN POLICE SIGHTS

Court records show the extraordinary number of times Castile was pulled over by police and taken to court over offenses from December 2002 until his death.

Here is the complete list of his dealings with police in Minnesota:

December 5, 2002: Violation of instruction permit - DISMISSED; No proof of insurance - GUILTY

January 9, 2003: Basic speed - GUILTY; Driving at speed - DISMISSED; No insurance - GUILTY; No seat belt use - DISMISSED

February 10 2003: Driving after suspension  - GUILTY

June 13, 2005: No proof of insurance - GUILTY; Impede traffic - DISMISSED

March 27, 2006: No Minnesota driving license - GUILTY; Impeding traffic - DISMISSED

October 18, 2006: Driving after suspension - CONVICTED; Not carrying proof of insurance - DISMISSED

December 19 2006: No proof of insurance - CONVICTED; DAR - DISMISSED; Possession of marijuana in a moving vehicle - DISMISSED

April 23, 2007: Driving at speed - DISMISSED; No proof of insurance - GUILTY

October 31, 2007: Exceeding speed limit - DISMISSED; Failure to obtain new driving license after changing name or address - DISMISSED; Muffler required - DISMISSED; Driving after revocation - GUILTY; Operation of motor vehicle after loss of license - DISMISSED

February 4, 2008: Causing a public nuisance - CONVICTED; Render dangerous public road - CONVICTED OF PETTY MISDEMEANOR

March 12, 2008: Driving after revocation - CONVICTED; No proof of insurance - DISMISSED

May 2, 2008: Driving after revocation - CONVICTED; Not using seat belt - DISMISSED
July 29, 2008: Driving after revocation - CONVICTED; Possession of over 1.4 grams marijuana in motor vehicle - DISMISSED;  No proof of insurance - DISMISSED

August 22, 2008: Driving after revocation - CONVICTED

November 9, 2009: Driving after revocation - CONVICTED; Not using seat belt - CONVICTED

September 13, 2010: Not using seat belt (driver and passengers) - CONVICTED; Driving after revocation - CONVICTED

October 6, 2010: Driving after revocation - CONVICTED

January 12, 2011: Driving after revocation - CONVICTED

January 26, 2011: Displaying altered / fictitious insurance card - DISMISSED; Driving after revocation - CONVICTED; Not using seat belt (driver and passengers) - DISMISSED

June 23 2011: Driving after revocation - CONVICTED

September 19, 2011: Driving after revocation - CONVICTED

November 21, 2011: Uninsured vehicle - CONVICTED; Driving after revocation - DISMISSED; Not using seat belt (driver and passengers) - DISMISSED

November 24, 2011: Driving after revocation - CONVICTED

August 19, 2014: Stop/stand/parking vehicle where official signs prohibit stopping - CONVICTED; Expired registration - DISMISSED

November 27, 2014: Improper display of original plate - CONVICTED

July 5, 2015: Not using seat belt (driver and passengers) - CONVICTED

January 5, 2016: Snow emergency parking restrictions - CONVICTED

January 8, 2016: Stop/stand/parking vehicle on any street/alley at the same location for more than 48 consecutive hours - CONVICTED

January 11, 2016: Abandoning motor vehicle on public or private property without consent - CONVICTED;Stop/stand/parking vehicle on any street/alley at the same location for more than 48 consecutive hours - CONVICTED

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3679678/Man-shooting-death-hand-cop-streamed-live-pulled-31-times-charged-63-times-officers-near-home.html#ixzz4Dvx8kLbD
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Offline Zman516

This was an exceptionally bizarre social media phenomenon:  A woman's partner is shot sitting next to her and her first thought is to log into Facebook and live stream the mayhem.    With ongoing commentary to her audience.   Just bizarre.

I am a little skeptical of videos that only show the aftermath, never the events that precede the shooting.  And, in Minnesota police never ask for a car's registration in a traffic stop.  It's always a DL and proof of insurance.  Yet she repeated several times the policeman asked him for his license and registration.

This one looks bad but if we've learned anything in this lovely time of Obama-led societal bliss it is that "witnesses" are not to be immediately trusted in these kinds of events.

That struck me also as being very weird....The woman sounded so emotionally removed from the scene as if she was narrating an existing video, plugging in her own "facts" about what had been said by the LEO, etc.  Maybe she's right, but I have my suspicions.   I don't think he was really her "boyfriend" either.  Probably drug dealer or dealee.  Only later did it occur to her to put on the big hysterical show of grief for the video's audience. 
Truth is the new hate-speech.

Offline Charlespg

I'm going by these guys

https://www.saf.org/saf-ccrkba-call-for-independent-probe-of-fatal-shooting-of-legally-armed-citizen/

SAF, CCRKBA CALL FOR INDEPENDENT PROBE OF FATAL SHOOTING OF LEGALLY ARMED CITIZEN                                         
BELLEVUE, WA — In the aftermath of Wednesday’s shooting of a legally armed citizen in the St. Paul, Minnesota suburb of Falcon Heights during a traffic stop, the Second Amendment Foundation and Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms are calling for an independent investigation.

“Wednesday night’s shooting of Philando Castile is very troubling, especially to the firearms community, because he was a legally-armed private citizen who may have done nothing more than reach for his identification and carry permit,” said Alan Gottlieb, SAF founder and executive vice president. He also chairs the CCRKBA. “We have received calls of alarm today from many of our members across the country. They are justifiably concerned that a law-abiding citizen may have been wrongfully killed.”

Gottlieb has viewed a video that was reportedly broadcast live on Facebook in the aftermath by Castile’s girlfriend, Diamond “Lavish” Reynolds. She was in the car, along with her 4-year-old daughter and witnessed the shooting.

“America’s 13 million citizens who are licensed to carry deserve to know exactly what happened and why,” Gottlieb stated. “There are conflicting explanations, and only an independent investigation can hopefully reveal the truth.

“We understand that Gov. Mark Dayton has asked the White House for a federal investigation,” he added, “and we believe that either the Minnesota State Patrol, or an agency of equal stature from another state could also be invited to investigate.

“We are cognizant of the racial overtones arising from Mr. Castile’s death,” Gottlieb noted. “The concerns of our members, and honest gun owners everywhere, go even deeper. Exercising our right to bear arms should not translate to a death sentence over something so trivial as a traffic stop for a broken tail light, and we are going to watch this case with a magnifying glass.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 10:45:03 pm by Charlespg »
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Some articles seem to call "Diamond" Reynolds a fiance of Philando Castile.

Offline sinkspur

Nope. But there's no reason to go around calling people dumbasses on a public forum. Turn off the computer and go outside.

I haven't done it in months.  The poster in question deserved it.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I haven't done it in months.  The poster in question deserved it.

Personal attacks are ok as long as you say they deserved it. Noted.

Offline WAC

@WAC @sinkspur Did you ever hear of the 21 foot rule? I had to break up a fight between two girls at an inner city school, it turned out the one gilr had a straight razor in her pocket. I am pretty suyre she was not intending to catch a quick shave between classes.
It is possible to stab or slash a person 21 times in less than 5 seconds with a knife. I have a training video of martial artist Billy Bryant doing just that.
Make no mistake a knife is a deadly weapon.

There's a reason makeshift razors are used by inmates to do deadly harm in the prison system.....

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Fact: The man was pulled over for a taillight. Not speeding. Not wreckless driving. A damn taillight. I never understood why cops stop cars for bad taillights...mail the car owner a warning.
Fact: The man had a woman and a child in the car. Not three rowdy gangstas. Right there, the cop should have holstered his weapon.
Fact: The man properly identified his status as a licensed concealed carry. These are the types of people we conservatives are supposed to stand behind - a law abiding citizen

I don't have all the facts, but I have enough to know that Baltimore is one thing. This is another.

Your 'fact' is untrue.  http://bearingarms.com/jenn-j/2016/07/09/mn-officer-involved-shooting-investigation-uncovers-explosive-evidence/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington