Author Topic: The Philando Castile shooting just threw into question a central belief people have about the US policing system -- If you comply, you won't be harmed  (Read 8799 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
certain "people" are making this out to be a lot worse than it actually is.

I have no idea what you mean by certain people. The issue of police "overkill" came to my attention, when cops in my town shot a teenaged girl in a school playground. She had a knife, and they claimed she lunged.

So I am "certain people," she was white.

Later cops strangled/beat a KNOWN mentally ill man to death. Our family knew his family. I am "certain people" and he was white.

In the latter case, the county DA, a law and order Republican, pursued cases against the officers, but a jury failed to convict, much to the disappointment of a majority in the area.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline WAC

We don't KNOW a damn thing. Everything is suppostion so far and it is fueling mass hysteria in this country. You sound like the BLM folks in the wake of every cop shooting in the last two years. If the cop is bad, he'll get his. If not, the propaganda value has already been paid in full.........Right wing nuts are nuts just like lefty nuts.

Well considering the last protests were for nothing because the criminals were just that......and now there's two more....and likely these two will show the criminals were at fault....as I see it the protesters aren't being too bright about selecting who they're going to protest about!

So given that I tend to think ol Obama and Hillary are reeving up their dial a phone groups to once again create diversion.....
Also you're never going to change the black communities love hate 'relationship' with the police.....never! They see them like the parents so many of them never had ......and like kids fighting and  misbehaving, once a situation they've created gets out of hand they call the cops.....they don't seem to have the ability to monitor their own...rather it's all drama and resistance to any who get in the way.

Offline sinkspur

Well considering the last protests were for nothing because the criminals were just that......and now there's two more....and likely these two will show the criminals were at fault....as I see it the protesters aren't being too bright about selecting who they're going to protest about!

So given that I tend to think ol Obama and Hillary are reeving up their dial a phone groups to once again create diversion.....
Also you're never going to change the black communities love hate 'relationship' with the police.....never! They see them like the parents so many of them never had ......and like kids fighting and  misbehaving, once a situation they've created gets out of hand they call the cops.....they don't seem to have the ability to monitor their own...rather it's all drama and resistance to any who get in the way.

Pure ass-hattery.  Have you seen the video? 

Is being stopped for a burned-out tail light a sign of a criminal? 

And what's all this "they don't seem to have the ability to monitor their own"?   No wonder you like Trump and defend the white nationalist trash who support him.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 03:06:47 am by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline WAC

The issue of police "overkill" came to my attention, when cops in my town shot a teenaged girl in a school playground. She had a knife, and they claimed she lunged.

Well as I see it what's a teenager doing on school grounds with a knife????  That's a lethal weapon and so she's carrying on a school ground...... regardless if she lunged or not.  SHE made a choice to be armed with a knife.......and you better believe I'd want the police to "protect" my child from that threat to MY child before trying to figure out if she was dangerous or not.

Offline WAC

If you do what a policeman tells you to do, your chances of getting shot are about zero.  There are maybe 400 police shootings of motorists per year.
Only a few of those are questionable.
How many times do you think Americans are stopped every year?  In 2012 more than 26 million people were pulled over.
Now tell me again if you'd rather be pulled over by a cop or have thugs invade your house.
And yes, I've been stopped by an exceptionally nasty cop. But he didn't shoot me. Because I did everything he said.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Pure ass-hattery.  Have you seen the video? 

Is being stopped for a burned-out tail light a sign of a criminal? 

And what's all this "they don't seem to have the ability to monitor their own"?   No wonder you like Trump and defend the white nationalist trash who support him.

The video was just the aftermath though. I agree that it doesn't look good for the cop, but the video showed nothing. Just the sad aftermath.

Offline WAC

Step back and take a deep breath.

I don't think we have any of the crucial details yet and, true to form, our idiot [P]resident is weighing in on this shooting. Just ignore the fact that shootings by blacks just passed 2,000 in Chicago.

Watch the video and ask yourself, why is this woman filming a selfie while her :boyfriend" slowly expires beside her while groaning. The agitated cop is outside the vehicle and clearly wired and stressed out. Yet, our on-the-spot witness is as cool as a cucumber reporting things in a clear, modulated voice that suits a stroll through the produce section at your local grocery far more than sitting next to a man just shot that is your love interest.

We shall see. We shall see.

Thank you and a noteworthy post.
How did he end up on the ground in the first place...was he resisting as is almost always the case.

• Technical
Why bring Trump into this? He has nothing to do with any of this. This all started long before the Trump campaign.

Offline sinkspur

The video was just the aftermath though. I agree that it doesn't look good for the cop, but the video showed nothing. Just the sad aftermath.

It showed that the goddamned cop didn't care if the guy he shot bled out.  And he wouldn't let the girlfriend help the guy either.

Offline sinkspur

Thank you and a noteworthy post.
How did he end up on the ground in the first place...was he resisting as is almost always the case.

He was in a car, not on the ground.  You haven't seen the video.  Go watch the video.  And he wasn't resisting.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 11:44:28 pm by mystery-ak »

Offline goatprairie

I have no idea what you mean by certain people. The issue of police "overkill" came to my attention, when cops in my town shot a teenaged girl in a school playground. She had a knife, and they claimed she lunged.

So I am "certain people," she was white.

Later cops strangled/beat a KNOWN mentally ill man to death. Our family knew his family. I am "certain people" and he was white.

In the latter case, the county DA, a law and order Republican, pursued cases against the officers, but a jury failed to convict, much to the disappointment of a majority in the area.

It's not case of there being no bad shootings/killings by cops...the question is how many? Nobody is claiming there aren't some bad cops or that certain cop shootings are not justified. But to claim cops are going around indiscriminately killing people is false.

Offline sinkspur

It's not case of there being no bad shootings/killings by cops...the question is how many? Nobody is claiming there aren't some bad cops or that certain cop shootings are not justified. But to claim cops are going around indiscriminately killing people is false.

Cops are not indiscriminately killing people.  Nobody'said that.  But the cop in Minnesota overreacted and you can hear it on the video.  He knew he screwed up; he pleads "I told him to put up his hands."

And the girlfriend says, calmly "No, you told him to show his ID and that's what he was going for."

Shooter cop is Jeronimo Yanez.

• Technical
Shut your stupid dumb mouth if you don't know what happened.

You might do the same. You weren't there. None of us were.

Offline goatprairie

Cops are not indiscriminately killing people.  Nobody'said that.  But the cop in Minnesota overreacted and you can hear it on the video.  He knew he screwed up; he pleads "I told him to put up his hands."

And the girlfriend says, calmly "No, you told him to show his ID and that's what he was going for."

Shooter cop is Jeronimo Yanez.
Then what is your point? Yes, there are some bad shootings by cops (although I will wait for more info on this one before making a final judgement.)
If we expect cops to be perfect, we're going to be disappointed. But obviously certain groups are trying make this into another Trayvon Martin vs. the nasty white person situation.
Why do some people make such a big deal about this incident and ignore the mass shootings that go on in Chicago and other big cities involving black on black killings? I think we know the reasons.
The president and the BLM scum are  doing another great job in politicizing this thing. Now we have three cops killed in Dallas. Great huh? /s

Offline sinkspur

Then what is your point? Yes, there are some bad shootings by cops (although I will wait for more info on this one before making a final judgement.)
If we expect cops to be perfect, we're going to be disappointed. But obviously certain groups are trying make this into another Trayvon Martin vs. the nasty white person situation.
Why do some people make such a big deal about this incident and ignore the mass shootings that go on in Chicago and other big cities involving black on black killings? I think we know the reasons.
The president and the BLM scum are  doing another great job in politicizing this thing. Now we have three cops killed in Dallas. Great huh? /s

Police officers can make you do anything and you can't resist.  You have to do what they tell you to do. 

Then, when you do it, it seems you're still at risk of getting capped.  That is not what citizens should expect.

You can't watch that video of a man dying and tell me that this officer gave a damn about this human being.  He stood there with a gun on him while he bled out and told the girlfriend to keep her hands on the dashboard.

Cops don't have to be perfect, but they don't have to be depraved.

Offline sinkspur

You might do the same. You weren't there. None of us were.

I know the dead man was not on the ground.

Offline cato potatoe

Same here, and both times, the county deputies approached me with their hands on their weapons, ready to draw and blast away if I made any sudden moves.  Not community friendly at all.

I bet most people have a "psycho cop" story.  The last time I was pulled, one did the same thing with the gun holster, sneaking up to the window like a prowling cat.  Scared the crap out of me.  Some time ago, one chewed me out red faced for ten minutes for not wearing a seat belt.  One day I am parked in a spot on the side of the street eating a lunch burger, and a fattie proceeds to interrogate me about why I'm there, where I'm going, where I live, what I have in my trunk, etc.  He was wild eyed and probably hopped up on something. 

Offline ArneFufkin

This was an exceptionally bizarre social media phenomenon:  A woman's partner is shot sitting next to her and her first thought is to log into Facebook and live stream the mayhem.    With ongoing commentary to her audience.   Just bizarre.

I am a little skeptical of videos that only show the aftermath, never the events that precede the shooting.  And, in Minnesota police never ask for a car's registration in a traffic stop.  It's always a DL and proof of insurance.  Yet she repeated several times the policeman asked him for his license and registration.

And, if this guy was CCW licensed he did just about everything wrong in this scenario.  An important part of mandatory training - at least in Minnesota - involves how to proceed when interfacing with LEOs.   You keep your license and ID together and separate from your weapon.   If you choose to inform the officer your are armed (there is no requirement to volunteer that info upon first contact with LEO in MN but depending on the circumstances it is often prudent) you immediately identify yourself as a CCW permit holder and reveal the location of the weapon with your hands clear from the weapon and in the LEOs sight.     And, it is highly unusual that a CCW holder wouldn't have his hand gun holstered and/or stored in an area where it could be quickly obtained while driving (i.e. a storage space between the seats).    It's unusual for a trained CCW holder to carry a weapon in their pants pocket.

From this woman's account the victim told the cops he had a gun in his pocket and then reached into his pocket.  She said he was a CCW permit holder but she didn't say whether her partner informed the police he was a CCW permit holder at the time he informed them he was armed.

This one looks bad but if we've learned anything in this lovely time of Obama-led societal bliss it is that "witnesses" are not to be immediately trusted in these kinds of events.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 04:49:27 am by ArneFufkin »

• Technical
I bet most people have a "psycho cop" story.  The last time I was pulled, one did the same thing with the gun holster, sneaking up to the window like a prowling cat.  Scared the crap out of me.  Some time ago, one chewed me out red faced for ten minutes for not wearing a seat belt.  One day I am parked in a spot on the side of the street eating a lunch burger, and a fattie proceeds to interrogate me about why I'm there, where I'm going, where I live, what I have in my trunk, etc.  He was wild eyed and probably hopped up on something.

I've had a cop acknowledge to me that other cops are assholes, after pulling me over for something.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Well as I see it what's a teenager doing on school grounds with a knife????  That's a lethal weapon and so she's carrying on a school ground...... regardless if she lunged or not.  SHE made a choice to be armed with a knife.......and you better believe I'd want the police to "protect" my child from that threat to MY child before trying to figure out if she was dangerous or not.

It was one teenage girls alone at a schoolyard, and several armed police.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
No defense for bad cops, but how many of these incidents occur annually?  You have to keep in mind how many millions of times cops have situations. There will always be millions of potentially dangerous situations every year that cops find themselves involved. You will always have some incompetence and some situations that could have been handled better.
But....ahem..... certain "people" are making this out to be a lot worse than it actually is.

There's not as many as the media and those aforementioned "certain people" make it out to be.

Cops are on edge everywhere....and can you blame them?  From the President on down they are being told they are racist...that they kill black people on purpose for no reason at all...police funerals are protested by these BLM ass clowns where the most horrible things are said about the fallen officer...and then you have Communist Style show trials like what is going on in Baltimore.

I think everyone needs to just sit back and let ALL the facts come out before passing judgement or convicting these cops.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline kidd

Watch the video and ask yourself, why is this woman filming a selfie while her :boyfriend" slowly expires beside her while groaning. The agitated cop is outside the vehicle and clearly wired and stressed out. Yet, our on-the-spot witness is as cool as a cucumber reporting things in a clear, modulated voice that suits a stroll through the produce section at your local grocery far more than sitting next to a man just shot that is your love interest.

Are you suggesting that the witness should have attempted to give aid to the man who was shot?

With the trigger-happy cop just outside the car, with his finger still on the trigger, it would have looked like she was going for the man's gun.
In his agitated state, she would have been shot too.

The best thing that she could've done is exactly what she did - gather evidence.

• Technical
Are you suggesting that the witness should have attempted to give aid to the man who was shot?

With the trigger-happy cop just outside the car, with his finger still on the trigger, it would have looked like she was going for the man's gun.
In his agitated state, she would have been shot too.

The best thing that she could've done is exactly what she did - gather evidence.

I wouldn't get on social media after someone was shot. Our society is weird.

Offline kidd

There's not as many as the media and those aforementioned "certain people" make it out to be.

Cops are on edge everywhere....and can you blame them?  From the President on down they are being told they are racist...that they kill black people on purpose for no reason at all...police funerals are protested by these BLM ass clowns where the most horrible things are said about the fallen officer...and then you have Communist Style show trials like what is going on in Baltimore.

I think everyone needs to just sit back and let ALL the facts come out before passing judgement or convicting these cops.

Fact: The man was pulled over for a taillight. Not speeding. Not wreckless driving. A damn taillight. I never understood why cops stop cars for bad taillights...mail the car owner a warning.
Fact: The man had a woman and a child in the car. Not three rowdy gangstas. Right there, the cop should have holstered his weapon.
Fact: The man properly identified his status as a licensed concealed carry. These are the types of people we conservatives are supposed to stand behind - a law abiding citizen

I don't have all the facts, but I have enough to know that Baltimore is one thing. This is another.