Author Topic: Trump supporter tweet appears to call for lynching of Loretta Lynch  (Read 1343 times)

HonestJohn

By Tal Kopan, CNN
Updated 4:01 PM ET, Wed July 6, 2016

Washington (CNN) A top Donald Trump supporter drew fire Wednesday for a tweet that he says was a "well-intended mistake," which seemed to call for the lynching of Attorney General Loretta Lynch.

The tweet from New York businessman and former gubernatorial candidate Carl Paladino said "Lynch @LorettaLynch let the Grand Jury decide," according to reports and screen grabs on Twitter.

The message was replaced with another that simply said "@LorettaLynch let the Grand Jury decide."

Paladino was apparently weighing in on FBI Director James Comey's announcement that the bureau would recommend no charges in the investigation of Hillary Clinton's private email server. The matter is now referred to the Justice Department, and Lynch -- the country's first female African-American attorney general -- has said she'll accept the recommendations of the FBI and career prosecutors in the Justice Department.

The Buffalo businessman seemed to be making the case that a grand jury should make the final call.

Paladino told CNN it was all a misunderstanding.

"I intended to say to Lynch to send the FBI report to the grand jury to decide criminality which she is legally obligated to do," Paladino said in an email. "I have never personally tweeted. We are novices. My assistant tried to send it directly to Loretta Lynch by adding '@Loretta Lynch.' It was a well-intended mistake that the progressive press wants to take out of context."

But the use of "lynch" in front of the attorney general's Twitter account handle drew notice. In addition to being interpreted as a call for violence, the charged term had added connotations in relation to Lynch, who is only the second African-American to hold the office of attorney general.

A tweet from Paladino's account replied to a question from a reporter about the language by saying it was that staffer's fault.

"I work for Carl, I'm new to twitter & tweeted what Carl asked but made mistake of adding Lynch. My bad," the tweet read.

The Trump campaign did not respond to a request for comment.

Paladino is one of Trump's most vocal supporters, but has also drawn criticism in the past for his language. In April he talked about exterminators ridding government of "raccoons in the basement," which is also a racial slur for African-Americans that many interpreted as being directed toward President Barack Obama.

HonestJohn

Re: Trump supporter tweet appears to call for lynching of Loretta Lynch
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 12:12:20 am »
Good Lord...

"Coons in the basement"?!?!

Everybody around Herr Drumpf is a sick f#$%.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 12:15:01 am »
I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt in this one. Pretty common for me to get auto-fill names like that when I start to type the name then twitter adds in the handle. For example,  I could start typing Joe and it fills in @JoeSmith so it looks like Joe@JoeSmith unless I fix it.

geronl

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 12:20:27 am »
These insane people linking up with Trump should never be allowed to be taken seriously again, ever.

HonestJohn

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 12:20:42 am »
I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt in this one. Pretty common for me to get auto-fill names like that when I start to type the name then twitter adds in the handle. For example,  I could start typing Joe and it fills in @JoeSmith so it looks like Joe@JoeSmith unless I fix it.

It's the end that was surprising.  That his top supporter calls for "an exterminator to get rid of the raccoons in the government"...

'Coons, for @#$#@##$'s sake.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 12:22:01 am »
It's the end that was surprising.  That his top supporter calls for "an exterminator to get rid of the raccoons in the government"...

'Coons, for @#$#@##$'s sake.

Yea, I missed that, just looking at the Lynch@LorettaLynch part. 'Coons' is totally unexcusable.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 12:29:53 am »
Paladino is a thug

Carl Paladino bullies NY GOP House members to back Donald Trump

http://www.syracuse.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/03/carl_paladino_bullies_ny_gop_house_members_to_back_donald_trump.html
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 12:47:48 am »
Paladino is a thug

Carl Paladino bullies NY GOP House members to back Donald Trump

http://www.syracuse.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/03/carl_paladino_bullies_ny_gop_house_members_to_back_donald_trump.html

That is all Trump seems to surround himself with.

Beginning to think all those "great deals" Trump claimed to have made included having a real life Luca Brasi by his side.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 12:55:48 am by Gov Bean Counter »
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 01:06:25 am »

How many suspicious suicides in the Clintons' wakes?

How many suspicious suicides in Trump's wake?

Just coming back down to earth and reality, for those that are capable.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 01:12:21 am »
How many suspicious suicides in the Clintons' wakes?

How many suspicious suicides in Trump's wake?

Just coming back down to earth and reality, for those that are capable.

Point taken. What is the beef of Trump critics? Half the time, it's a tweet as we see again. Wow!