Author Topic: I’m a Democrat, but I fear the elitism overtaking the party  (Read 525 times)

Offline Mechanicos

I’m a Democrat, but I fear the elitism overtaking the party
I have watched this primary season unfold through a different lens than my very liberal coworkers and fellow New Yorkers.
Sarah Eberspacher

I may believe in women’s reproductive rights and LGBT equality and background checks for gun purchases, but I also took childhood naps each Thanksgiving under the watchful glass eyes of my cousin’s prized deer head mount. And I may now work in the white-collar journalism world, but I spent my formative summers wandering around my Illinois hometown’s “Bagelfest”, an homage to one of our community’s several factories and its working-class heritage.

That’s all to say: the American electorate is complicated. But there is a narrow perspective that many liberals in my adult life use to paint the people from my hometown, and from the thousands of other places like it.

In that painting, it’s just the people reached on landlines that admit they plan to support Donald Trump who actually do. And those Trump voters time and again are given a suspiciously similar face: white; male; blue collar. And then those less neutral descriptors: racist; sexist; uneducated. The first three are often shorthand for the second set.

The Democratic party – and by that, I mean the party gatekeepers with power to wield media influence, which worked out great for the Brexit vote – are writing off those hardcore racists as an overblown minority that is making more noise than they can translate into votes. But overlooking “regular Joe” moderate voters like the ones who filled my childhood could be our undoing.

My party has gotten cocky, and I fear that condescending mentality will lose us this election. Because for all of his divisive bluster, Trump has gotten one thing right time and again: small-town America is not doing great.

Don’t get me wrong: I sure as hell won’t be casting a ballot for Trump this November. But I have watched this primary season unfold through a different lens than my very liberal coworkers and fellow New Yorkers, who live in a world that’s largely bounced back from the recession.

Where my family lives, factories are closing. Schools don’t have enough money for teachers, and all of Barack Obama’s hope and change hasn’t done much trickling down in the last eight years. And just because the moderate voters living in these areas aren’t showing up at Trump rallies or plastering your Facebook wall with tirades about Muslims doesn’t mean they’re planning to support Obama’s heir apparent come November.

That’s a hard truth for a lot of liberals with white-collar jobs and HBO subscriptions to process, but it’s a truth nonetheless.
It’s a truth that is driving Trump fans who really do want to build a wall and “punish” women who have illegal abortions, but it’s a truth for millions of other middle America (yes, mostly white) voters who are overlooked once the primary race bunting comes down and the bandshells empty back out.

Especially in this election, minorities are being courted by Democrats – and considering how many Trump lines they have to choose from, the sell is pretty easy. For everyone else, it’s a disconcerting binary: either you’re a racist homophobe or you’re obviously not voting for Trump, so great, we don’t need to even bother paying lip service to your concerns.

Even if Clinton does win in a landslide, what I fear most is the elitism my party is embracing, and its ultimate cost.

Some of the people I grew up with are racist. Plenty more are sexist. And a lot of these mainly white midwesterners ventured no farther than the state college. But those are descriptors that also work on plenty of the liberals I’ve met in Boston, Chicago, New York – they just keep those views to themselves while living in much more diverse places. And that lets them off the hook. It sets up that insidious dismissal of anyone who doesn’t live like them, who doesn’t think like them.

[More]
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/30/democrat-party-elitism-general-election-voter-issues-donald-trump-hillary-clinton

Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline Mechanicos

Re: I’m a Democrat, but I fear the elitism overtaking the party
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 03:00:13 am »
SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH don’t tell anyone Trump’s going to win.  :nono:
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Online LMAO

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 03:08:33 am »
SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH don’t tell anyone Trump’s going to win.  :nono:

You don't know that. You and I cannot say with any certainty who will win in Nov.

It seems if one loves Trump, they tend to believe the rest of the country see him with the same eyes as they do. A landslide win awaits. The public is chomping at the bit to vote for him. That's why they deny his record high negatives.

It works both ways. If one hates Trump with every fiber of their being, then the belief becomes a landslide loss awaits. People will be out in droves to vote against him and vote for Hillary despite her high negatives.

I cannot predict what will happen in Nov but I'm safe in saying if the election was held today, Hillary in a close one
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 04:46:37 am »
Extraordinary!  A liberal that can't stand what liberals have done to the country.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 05:56:42 am »
I’m a Democrat, but I fear the elitism overtaking the party

That's nothing.  With Donald Trump, a Democrat has overtaken the Republican Party.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 06:00:23 am »
SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH don’t tell anyone Trump’s going to win.

I see you missed this little gem from the article you posted:

Don’t get me wrong: I sure as hell won’t be casting a ballot for Trump this November.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 10:39:17 am »
Replace any mention of the Democrat party with the Republican party - the article still applies.

Flyover country is just that. Courted briefly once every four years by politicians who don't give shit one once the town sign is in the buses rear window.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 10:43:28 am »
Fuller's Rule of Trust #9:

Any article that starts with the phrase "I’m a (insert demographic here), but…" is probably astroturfing; the author's probably not a member of the demographic they claim to be.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 10:58:48 am »
You don't know that. You and I cannot say with any certainty who will win in Nov.

It seems if one loves Trump, they tend to believe the rest of the country see him with the same eyes as they do. A landslide win awaits. The public is chomping at the bit to vote for him. That's why they deny his record high negatives.

It works both ways. If one hates Trump with every fiber of their being, then the belief becomes a landslide loss awaits. People will be out in droves to vote against him and vote for Hillary despite her high negatives.

I cannot predict what will happen in Nov but I'm safe in saying if the election was held today, Hillary in a close one

We can say with a reasonable degree of certainty that based on past records of fulfilled predictions Pro-Trump has a very good chance of our predictions coming true, while the anti's are virtually certain to be wrong.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 11:01:43 am »
I see you missed this little gem from the article you posted:

Let me spell it out for you. What the article is saying is Democrats and liberals in large numbers will not vote for Hillary either.

The Article is saying Hillary has a fatal problem with turn-out to vote FOR her.