Author Topic: FBI to Interview Hillary Clinton in Coming Days About Email Scandal, Source Says  (Read 792 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: ABC NEWS

URL: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/fbi-interview-hillary-clinton-coming-days-email-scandal/story?id=40291561

By JULIA JACOBO  and   Pierre Thomas

Hillary Clinton could be interviewed by the FBI in the coming days as part of an investigation into the former secretary of state and her staff's use of private email to conduct official U.S. State Department business, according to a source familiar with the U.S. Department of Justice's investigation.

The Justice Department's goal is to complete the investigation and make recommendations on whether charges should be filed before the two major party conventions take place toward the latter half of July, the source said.

Officials want ample time to review Clinton's interview and compare it to everything they have discovered in the months-long investigations, according to the source.

Last year, it was revealed that Clinton had exclusively used her family's private email server for official communications during her tenure as secretary of state. The officials communications included thousands of emails that were later marked classified by the U.S. State Department.

Offline SirLinksALot

Chuck Ross at the Daily Caller actually got this first, earlier in the afternoon, and reported that the interview will take place tomorrow:. See here: http://dailycaller.com/2016/07/01/exclusive-hillary-clinton-scheduled-to-meet-with-fbi-on-saturday/

Former Sec. of State Hillary Clinton is scheduled to meet Saturday with the FBI, a source close to the investigation into her private email server tells The Daily Caller.

The source went on to suggest the interview may take place at her Washington, D.C. home. …

Scheduling the meeting on a holiday weekend will likely help with logistical issues for both the FBI and the Clinton campaign.

Clinton has no campaign events listed on her schedule which means that she will not be tailed by the usual pack of campaign reporters. The FBI has sought to avoid drawing attention to its probe by bringing in witnesses in secret. That strategy has been successful, as reports of the meetings have only come out after they were held.

Ed Morrissey of HotAir observes:

It’s ABC that reports that the motivation to move now comes from a desire to wrap up the probe before the conventions. That detail is also curious. If the FBI doesn’t think a criminal referral involving Hillary will be forthcoming, then the timing really doesn’t matter; Democrats could hold their convention as planned without any changes. If the FBI thinks that there is a good chance of a criminal referral, however, then the timing becomes extremely important, to Democrats and to the nation as a whole. The convention is the last opportunity Democrats have to replace Hillary as the nominee in an organized and orderly manner.

With that in mind, what are the chances that Hillary decides to stay lawyered up and say nothing tomorrow, or whenever the interview takes place? I’d guess that the convention deadline becomes even more important — but under the circumstances, why would Hillary’s attorneys allow the FBI to depose her at all?

Oceander

The only things Hillary will say are name, address, and good-bye.  Everything else will come from her lawyers. 

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
The she-devil traveled from her DC home to FBI headquarters -they did not come to her, thank God. Doing this on a long holiday weekend assured the least amount of public attention. The creature will campaign with dear ruler on Tuesday-wonder if there will be questions from the press about the three and a half hour interview.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline r9etb

The only things Hillary will say are name, address, and good-bye.  Everything else will come from her lawyers.

That would be the smart thing for her to do.  For her to be interviewed last is bad news from her standpoint, as it means that she really is in the FBI's sights for criminal behavior.  It also means they have questions for which they know the answers, and that she cannot answer -- either because answering honestly would put her in further legal jeopardy, or because to answer falsely would put her in further legal jeopardy.

So she's going to clam up.  I don't know if you can plead the 5th in an interrogation, but she'll do it, or she'll refer to her Miranda rights.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
So she's going to clam up.  I don't know if you can plead the 5th in an interrogation, but she'll do it, or she'll refer to her Miranda rights.

You can. Cheryl Mills (?) pleaded the fifth a couple of times during her interrogation and walked out once.

Miranda rights, no. They only kick in once you've been actually arrested (but not necessarily charged).
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline r9etb

You can. Cheryl Mills (?) pleaded the fifth a couple of times during her interrogation and walked out once.

Miranda rights, no. They only kick in once you've been actually arrested (but not necessarily charged).

If Hillary tries that, though... what are the chances that her unwillingness to answer will be leaked?  And how will that play out?  I'll have to wait and see, I guess, but it wouldn't be helpful to her.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
As you and others have said - she's got zero choice. She can't risk answering a question they already know the answer to incorrectly.

I know it's kind of de rigeur to disparage the "Obama FBI," but most of the people working there are straight up. I trust them, anyway - you have to make your own call on that!  :laugh:

Now as to her not answering leaking out - if there is any possibility of a prosecution at all, any leak won't come from the FBI. Or not the agents, at the least. The political appointees - those I expect to do whatever it takes to cover Her Heinous' ass. The media will run with any leaks, I expect. They're not covering for her any more on this, it seems.

Offline r9etb

The media will run with any leaks, I expect. They're not covering for her any more on this, it seems.

Supposing that she doesn't answer and it does leak (as I would be willing to bet that it does).  Might that increase the likelihood of an indictment?  The political calculations surrounding this are enormously complicated, as they have a direct bearing on the November election. 

As for the media... they're still covering for her.  If any presumptive Republican nominee were taken in for questioning on a serious criminal matter of this sort, that's all we'd be hearing about. 

For Clinton, however, the story is coming in dribs and drabs, and always portrayed with a strong political backdrop, as if none of this would be an issue except for those darned Republicans.  For all her obvious flaws, she is still the best fit for the prevailing "progressive" narrative, and the media are far more interested in promoting that, than in any minor issues related to corruption or felonious activity.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Supposing that she doesn't answer and it does leak (as I would be willing to bet that it does).  Might that increase the likelihood of an indictment?  The political calculations surrounding this are enormously complicated, as they have a direct bearing on the November election. 

That would be a question better answered by our more legal members. I just know bits about investigating and interrogating.

Having said that, I'd expect any leak not traceable to the Clinton camp to reduce the chances of an indictment slightly and the chances of a successful prosecution immensely. Trial by Media is a defense which can be used, and a pretty solid one to shake, at that.