Author Topic: Want a Gun-Free Zone? Tennessee Says That’s on You: LITERALLY  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Mechanicos

Want a Gun-Free Zone? Tennessee Says That’s on You: LITERALLY

Heading into law this Friday is Tennessee’s Senate Bill 1736, which will put into action something gun owners have been encouraging for years.

As of July 1, if a handgun carry permit holder in Tennessee is injured, suffers bodily injury or death, incurs economic loss or expense, property damage or any other compensable loss on a property posted as a gun-free zone, they can sue the person or entity who stripped them of their right to self defense.

SWEET!

The law will enact a “duty of care” on any person who posts their property as a gun-free zone, making them responsible for the safety of any handgun carry permit holder while the permit holder is on the posted premises as well as while during their travel to and from the premises and the location where the permit holder’s firearm is stored. The statute of limitations is within two years of the event and provided the defendant meets the following requirements:

were authorized to carry a gun at the time of the incident
    prohibited from carrying a firearm due to the posting of a gun-free sign
    the property owner was not required to be posted by state or federal law and posted by choice

Can you imagine? Holding gun-free zone property accountable for injuries people sustained by being disarmed and left defenseless? Groundbreaking.

Think this legislation belongs in your state? Call your representative today, then get your friends and community involved as well. If it has to start with one person, why shouldn’t it be you?

http://bearingarms.com/jenn-j/2016/06/28/want-a-gun-free-zone-tennessee-says-thats-on-you-literally/?utm_content=buffer014c4&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline kidd

Re: Want a Gun-Free Zone? Tennessee Says That’s on You: LITERALLY
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 06:40:54 pm »
I like this.

I like this a lot.

The liability insurance will prevent frivolous "gun free zones"

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 11:56:03 am »
Want a Gun-Free Zone? Tennessee Says That’s on You: LITERALLY

Heading into law this Friday is Tennessee’s Senate Bill 1736, which will put into action something gun owners have been encouraging for years.

As of July 1, if a handgun carry permit holder in Tennessee is injured, suffers bodily injury or death, incurs economic loss or expense, property damage or any other compensable loss on a property posted as a gun-free zone, they can sue the person or entity who stripped them of their right to self defense.

SWEET!

The law will enact a “duty of care” on any person who posts their property as a gun-free zone, making them responsible for the safety of any handgun carry permit holder while the permit holder is on the posted premises as well as while during their travel to and from the premises and the location where the permit holder’s firearm is stored.

I am so proud to be a citizen of the state of Tennessee!  Where rationality occasionally wins in government!
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 01:47:35 pm »
Yes, this is surprisingly rational!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 01:50:24 pm »
I give it 6 weeks until it's overturned outright. 4 days until it's challenged in court by the Dems,who can't abide the thought of personal responsibility in any situation, never mind in one of their pet causes.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 02:18:00 pm »
Great. To me though this should go both ways. If your guns are stolen and used to commit a crime, you should be held liable in some way as well. This isn't a popular position among conservatives but so be it.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 02:20:21 pm »
Great. To me though this should go both ways. If your guns are stolen and used to commit a crime, you should be held liable in some way as well. This isn't a popular position among conservatives but so be it.

How does that follow?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 02:22:50 pm »
Amend that to "If your guns are stolen and used to commit a crime and you didn't report the loss .... " and I'll agree. You can never stop a sufficiently determined thief. It would also cut down on some of the supply of guns to criminals. Now a clean person goes and buys one, sells it on, then if anyone bothers to ask says it was stolen.

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 02:35:44 pm »
Amend that to "If your guns are stolen and used to commit a crime and you didn't report the loss .... " and I'll agree. You can never stop a sufficiently determined thief. It would also cut down on some of the supply of guns to criminals. Now a clean person goes and buys one, sells it on, then if anyone bothers to ask says it was stolen.

Fair enough. If you leave your gun out on your front seat of your car and it's stolen you should be held liable for whatever crime it's use for.

• Technical
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 02:36:19 pm »
How does that follow?

What do you mean? You don't see a connection between the two positions?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 02:39:49 pm »
What do you mean? You don't see a connection between the two positions?

No, not the way you had written it.  EC's contribution made it clearer. 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 02:47:27 pm »
Fair enough. If you leave your gun out on your front seat of your car and it's stolen you should be held liable for whatever crime it's use for.

Agreed. Double the punishment if you are a cop, please. They lose their weapons FAR too often.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 12:16:52 am »
Weird wrote:
"What do you mean? You don't see a connection between the two positions?"

Sumthin' tells me you're not a gun owner in any capacity...  ;)